Boisterously Confused

Default Does Steve Trevor's mix-and-match services and ranks bug anybody else?

I'm still catching up on Rebirth WW. One thing about it, however, that really annoys me is this idea of Trevor jumping back and forth between Air Force Senior Commissioned Officer and Navy Senior Non-Commissioned Officer.

There have been cases where Commissioned Officers returned to their service as a Non-Commissioned officer, but they're rare, and it's definitely not something one gets to tennis ball back and forth about. More than that, I don't see what the purpose of it is beyond, "oooooo...SEAL! Kewl!"
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 04-09-2019 at 11:19 AM.

It was unusual but it didn't bother me. Cool factor of Navy SEALs aside, I think it was done because the Truth and Lies were going on and Steve's branch of service was used to cause doubt and spread confusion. I was much more perplexed by Hippolyta being the 10th Queen of the Amazons calling into question what happened to the other 9 and their immortality. The lasso was suddenly depicted as a whip too but then went back to being normal so that was another head-scratcher that trumped anything happening with Steve.

They should stick to him being in the Air Force imo. Bendis is apparently going to use Trevor’s Leviathan ties in his event which makes me happy. I like Trevor and by virtue of their relationship Diana having one foot in international espionage. Ties into Diana’s global mission of peace.

A bit, but it bothers me more that Rucka choose to make him a special operations soldier. I could see no value to his or Diana's characters in doing so. I'd have much preferred if Rucka had chosen to distance him from the military-industrial complex over the course of his run, instead of miring him and Etta Candy even deeper there.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    A bit, but it bothers me more that Rucka choose to make him a special operations soldier. I could see no value to his or Diana's characters in doing so. I'd have much preferred if Rucka had chosen to distance him from the military-industrial complex over the course of his run, instead of miring him and Etta Candy even deeper there.
    The connection to the Pentagon, and particularly its cloak-and-dagger arm, is so deeply embedded in WW's brand, I don't know if they'll ever excise it. There are good reasons to, and I can see how it could be done, but it's likely one of those things that will always return to WW's story, much like Trevor himself.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The connection to the Pentagon, and particularly its cloak-and-dagger arm, is so deeply embedded in WW's brand, I don't know if they'll ever excise it. There are good reasons to, and I can see how it could be done, but it's likely one of those things that will always return to WW's story, much like Trevor himself.
    Yeah, I don't ask that it be cut entirely. Have him in the air force or intelligence services when he encounters Diana is fine. Have him keeping some contacts after quitting the service is also fine. I can see him being used as an unofficial liaison between say the State Department (or other civilian government agencies) and the Justice League too. Lots of story possibilities that way.

But there is a difference between having him career military during the First or Second World Wars and today, and I wish the writers realised that. Well, Rucka did, but then he went off in wholly the wrong direction.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I don’t know if I’m bugged so much as having a “please pick a direction and stick with it” attitude.

It’s no secret from my comments that I’m a proponent of Steve being a high-ranking agent of ARGUS and ARGUS should be a Wonder Woman “thing.” I like this for him in that it places him in the center of the weirdness and wonderfulness of the DCU and “places to go” for him and Diana that aren’t limited to mythology, magic, and the few costumed supervillains we typically get to see in the title.

I believe that Steve should be with ARGUS and have him with Sarge Steel and Ferraday. We also need Steve’s back story explained. Where are his parents? Etta’s to. Diana needs her supporting cast more interesting and consistent. I like the idea of Steve and Diana looking for and housing the important artifacts in the DC universe. Add some espionage and clock and dagger stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Angleman70 View Post
    I believe that Steve should be with ARGUS and have him with Sarge Steel and Ferraday. We also need Steve’s back story explained. Where are his parents? Etta’s to. Diana needs her supporting cast more interesting and consistent. I like the idea of Steve and Diana looking for and housing the important artifacts in the DC universe. Add some espionage and clock and dagger stuff.
    Yeah we’ve never gotten any major backstory for those two have we?

In a comic fans perfect world
    every one loves and buys comics and
    publishers never have to cancel or reboot a series

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I don’t know if I’m bugged so much as having a “please pick a direction and stick with it” attitude.

It’s no secret from my comments that I’m a proponent of Steve being a high-ranking agent of ARGUS and ARGUS should be a Wonder Woman “thing.” I like this for him in that it places him in the center of the weirdness and wonderfulness of the DCU and “places to go” for him and Diana that aren’t limited to mythology, magic, and the few costumed supervillains we typically get to see in the title.
    Yeah the part that bugs me is changing his actual rank and service component. The idea of him as a spec ops guy whose specialty is meta-human stuff is a solid character concept. You can have him working with a group of Seals, Rangers, or whoever else. As an expert on Metas, he has reason to assist whoever needs it and not just his actual branch.