Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default What do you want in Grayson?

It would be awesome if Dick got a partner...

You?

Well if he can be a spy with guns or whatever then I'm going to go for broke and ask him to have some type of swords. Taser swords or a sword with a retracable blade or something. Azrael's swords. Whatever. I'll take my favorite hero with swords please.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

James Bond, trained by Batman.

Jeremy Renner, Simon Pegg and Paula Patton to his Ethan Hunt.

Adventure and excitement. Screw Yoda.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Assuming that DC really wants to make the most of this new direction and that it really will have an impact on his status quo here are a few things I'd like to see in Grayson

-Keep true to the core of Dick's character. He's in the hero business because he wants to help people and save lives.

-Keep Grayson away from crossovers period so that it gets the chance to develop properly. Nightwing never was able to get anywhere because of crossovers and editorial mandates that pulled Higgins away the direction he wanted to go with the title. Let Seeley take the story in the direction he wants without interference.

-Have Dick forge some brand new connections in the DCU this time around. Have him run into and become friends with other characters outside the ones he's been connected to in the past continuity as well creating maybe a few new ones for him to encounter. Toss in a few characters that are familiar as being those that he had a connection to in the past continuity but don't over populate the title with them.

-Create some decent new villains for him to face and don't resort to just the same old villains all the time. I like a good old Grayson/Deathstroke fight as much as the next guy and I wouldn't mind seeing an encounter between them here but I also want to see something new.

-Tell stories that push the envelope and that show Dick dealing with issues that maybe never came up while he was working with Batman. The situation he finds himself in now is a bit more of a gray area then he dealt with before so show him struggling with that aspect. Also have him deal with the fallout of his unmasking and "death".

-Don't let the rest of the rest of the Bat Family be kept in the dark about his "death" for to long. It'll be a interesting plot point for a time but don't continue to drag it out beyond the point that it ceases to be interesting.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Ultimate Member

Let's see here:

1. Don't have this book constantly get pulled into crossovers. Give it room to breath and grow on it's own.

2. A cool new supporting cast for Dick as well. Since this is a James Bond-esque spy book, these should be badass yet colorful.

3. Mix the light and dark moments well.

4. A Blofeld-esque archenemy for Dick. Actually, give him multiple new rogues.

5. A partner.

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    Well if he can be a spy with guns or whatever then I'm going to go for broke and ask him to have some type of swords. Taser swords or a sword with a retracable blade or something. Azrael's swords. Whatever. I'll take my favorite hero with swords please.
    I don't know, hopefully he still has his escima sticks.

Incredible Member

1. A partner or two.
    Didn't they say they were going to bring back someone pre52? If so I wouldn't be surprised if they put that person as his partner if he gets one. I hope it's Amy Rohrbach from his days as a police officer. For what little issues she was in, she was pretty badass AND caring. Just what Dick needs.

2. No crossovers, at least for a while. His world needs some breathing room to grow.
    At least he probably won't get sucked into Bat crossovers if they think he's dead.

3. Staying true to the character.
    Yes, the whole thing with FE sucked terribly and I don't expect him to get over it in five seconds. But can we not drag out the whole being-horribly-sad-and-depressed thing over ten issues and take away his hope and optimism. Also the leaning more on his status as a "sex symbol" makes me nervous because I'm skeptical and think they don't know WHY Nightwing was so popular among the ladies (hint: it wasn't because he had meaningless sex like a good chunk of the fandom thinks he does).

Staying true to his character, keeping his signature weapons and the series being worth what the character went through in Forever Evil.
    Pulling: Spider-Gwen, All New Captain America, Ms Marvel, Secret Six, Daredevil, Uncanny X-Men, Grayson, Batman, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man, A-Force, Cyborg, Starfire

First and foremost, I want to see a fun, bright action adventure tone to the series. Dick needs to enjoy himself. He needs to be confident. I could see him being something between James Bond and Han Solo, charming and roguish.

In light of (imo) Higgins' biggest weak point, I'll need to see a strong supporting cast that I actually grow to care about.

Speaking of Higgins' run, I want this to be a steady, long term direction. I'm 75% sure that Dick will return to Nightwing (unless this is wildly successful), but I hope that this status quo lasts a few years. Long enough for it to actually matter in the Dick Grayson Mythology.

This series needs to develop Grayson's old defining characteristics in a new way. Spyral teaming up SHADE and ARGUS can probably give him the connectivity with the larger DCU that we all miss. I'm even excited about the prospect of his connections being different than they were in the old DCU. Though I don't need to see this from issue #1, I'd like to see him leading a team of operatives, both with with Spyral agents and leading metahumans as well.

The performer aspect of his character likely won't get to shine here (clandestine activities and all), so i hope that his daredevil-ish qualities come through. (Not him reflecting Matt Murdock, but his trill seeking personality. Like in the B&R annual 2 when he flipped out of the helicopter. Death defying feats of that sort.)

I'm okay with keeping things a secret from Babs and Aflie for a while. I'm even okay with it providing a sense of angst for him. I just don't want it to be to heavy of a focal point. Let that get touched on once every five or six issues. I will need to be convinced that he needed to keep it from them, though.

Those are really the Grayson specific desires, but of course the more general hopes for any comic series apply here as well: Good stories, good villains, and the like.
    Last edited by dropkickjake; 05-03-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    First and foremost, I want to see a fun, bright action adventure tone to the series. Dick needs to enjoy himself. He needs to be confident. I could see him being something between James Bond and Han Solo, charming and roguish.

In light of (imo) Higgins' biggest weak point, I'll need to see a strong supporting cast that I actually grow to care about.

Speaking of Higgins' run, I want this to be a steady, long term direction. I'm 75% sure that Dick will return to Nightwing (unless this is wildly successful), but I hope that this status quo lasts a few years. Long enough for it to actually matter in the Dick Grayson Mythology.

This series needs to develop Grayson's old defining characteristics in a new way. Spyral teaming up SHADE and ARGUS can probably give him the connectivity with the larger DCU that we all miss. I'm even excited about the prospect of his connections being different than they were in the old DCU. Though I don't need to see this from issue #1, I'd like to see him leading a team of operatives, both with with Spyral agents and leading metahumans as well.

The performer aspect of his character likely won't get to shine here (clandestine activities and all), so i hope that his daredevil-ish qualities come through. (Not him reflecting Matt Murdock, but his trill seeking personality. Like in the B&R annual 2 when he flipped out of the helicopter. Death defying feats of that sort.)

I'm okay with keeping things a secret from Babs and Aflie for a while. I'm even okay with it providing a sense of angst for him. I just don't want it to be to heavy of a focal point. Let that get touched on once every five or six issues. I will need to be convinced that he needed to keep it from them, though.

Those are really the Grayson specific desires, but of course the more general hopes for any comic series apply here as well: Good stories, good villains, and the like.
    I'm fine with Babs not being in on it, but I'm really iffy on not telling Alfred. I've always seen him as Bruce's closest confidante, the one person that Bruce trusts absolutely, and who he tells everything. Bruce keeping secrets from him just doesn't sit right with me, but we'll see how it goes. That's just a personal preference.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I'm fine with Babs not being in on it, but I'm really iffy on not telling Alfred. I've always seen him as Bruce's closest confidante, the one person that Bruce trusts absolutely, and who he tells everything. Bruce keeping secrets from him just doesn't sit right with me, but we'll see how it goes. That's just a personal preference.
    Yeah, Alfred not being in the know doesn't sit well with me either but it depends on how they sell it.

--New directions and mythologies: We need to see some serious world-building, with introduction of interesting characters, places, and histories. If they want to bring in elements from the old DCU in new ways that's perfectly fine. But make it unique, different, and fascinating.

--Serious character development for Grayson: Not only does the world need to be new and interesting, Dick needs to grow to become the master of it. This needs to be HIS environment, HIS domain. He needs to become the DCU's king of superspies. If he is ever to definitively exit the Bat's shadow, that is what is required. Someday we need to see a believable story where Batman, in over his head and endangered by intrigue, is saved by a calm, tut-tutting Dick Grayson who efficiently puts things to right then turns to his erstwhile mentor with a weary expression and says, "What did I TELL you about this kind of thing?"

--Balance of elements: The story needs a good, ongoing balance among bright adventure with a touch of humor, romantic hijinks, brain-teasing mysteries, and dark drama. No one element should be allowed to overwhelm the others.

--Minimal soap opera: Add me to the growing list of people who want the whole "dead to the Bat Family" thing to be dealt with sooner rather than later. First of all they need a strong explanation that doesn't seem completely contrived and doesn't make Bruce look like a Machiavellian jerk. Second, they need to resolve it after a couple of arcs and not let it turn into an ongoing soap opera. Issues that are allowed to fester only get more complicated over time, and eventually turn into a hot mess that can only be rescued with hand waving and retcons (see Todd, Jason 2005-2014).

--Energy: Or rather, ENERGY. The story needs to start off strong and keep the pace lively. Getting bogged down, whether in angt fests or subplots or crossovers or line-wide events could be poisonous.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Honestly, I'm going to need to be sold on both. Babs and Alfred both keep secrets pretty well and are super close to Dick. I can be sold on both of them, but Seeley is going to have to really sell it. It is something I will be able to overlook though, if he doesn't do the best job convincing me its necessary. However, if the tone were to to descend into constant angsty moping about it. Thats the sticking point for me.