Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It was a good comic in isolation, but Fraction sorta ignored a lot of the character development that Clint underwent over the last couple of decades. In other comics Clint had enuff experience to be leading teams and running covert missions for SHEILD, but Fraction wrote him like a lovable loser. Fraction's version was consistant with the 70's version of Clint but not the guy who helped the Thunderbolts reform or led the WCA.
    For me, the key is that the Fraction run came after his attempted reconciliation with Bobbi. I saw Clint as being in a different stage of his life, with the title focusing on his days off from the Avengers. He hangs out with his protege, his neighbors, and his brother. The run showed his skills as an archer and fighter, but also highlighted his flaws. His dating life was a mess, which is understandable after he and Bobbi couldn't work things out. He jumps into situations on impulse and doesn't always plan ahead. Despite this, it also showcased Clint's loyalty to his friends and family. It would be interesting to have Fraction do another run on Clint where Clint is at a more stable point, even leading a team.

Do these two need a book?

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    For me, the key is that the Fraction run came after his attempted reconciliation with Bobbi. I saw Clint as being in a different stage of his life, with the title focusing on his days off from the Avengers. He hangs out with his protege, his neighbors, and his brother. The run showed his skills as an archer and fighter, but also highlighted his flaws. His dating life was a mess, which is understandable after he and Bobbi couldn't work things out. He jumps into situations on impulse and doesn't always plan ahead. Despite this, it also showcased Clint's loyalty to his friends and family. It would be interesting to have Fraction do another run on Clint where Clint is at a more stable point, even leading a team.
    I think the issue with that is that people took his characterization from his "days off" and then applied that to what he is generally like as a hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    They're two of the most iconic Superman supporting characters and have once held long-running and famous comics of their own back in the day.

I say why not ?

You got Action and Superman. One would think that's enough and more than most characters get.

Action and Superman are Superman books, always will be.

Right?! I don't get why Jimmy Olsen of all characters is eligible for a book, when so many great DC characters are in limbo right now.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It was a good comic in isolation, but Fraction sorta ignored a lot of the character development that Clint underwent over the last couple of decades. In other comics Clint had enuff experience to be leading teams and running covert missions for SHEILD, but Fraction wrote him like a lovable loser. Fraction's version was consistant with the 70's version of Clint but not the guy who helped the Thunderbolts reform or led the WCA.
    That seems to line up with what I know of Clint. Like I said, Im not well versed in the character.

I enjoyed the book, even recognizing that this wasn't always (or even often) Clint at his best. I figured that was part of the point of the run, and if I recall correctly Clint was in Hickman's Avengers around the same time (right?) so he got to be a badass there. But I can see how it would rub his fans wrong.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Why not? They're interesting, fun characters who can tell stories the costumed heroes can't, and delve into genres and themes and tones the costumed heroes can't. Did we *need* Gotham Central? Those cops could (and did) show up in half a dozen different Bat books.

I mean, did we *need* a Mister Miracle book? No. And there were more popular characters not being used while King was telling his story. We didnt need that book, but it was still one of the best things DC's done this decade.

I'll be surprised if the current market can keep Lois and Jimmy in their titles for more than 18-24 months. But we could still get two really solid, enjoyable, unique titles out of the deal. I see no problem here.

Besides, Superman used to carry four monthly books plus a quarterly. These days he's down to two. This is just putting the Super-titles back to their previous numbers.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Right?! I don't get why Jimmy Olsen of all characters is eligible for a book, when so many great DC characters are in limbo right now.
    Matt Fraction's most recent superhero comic book was Hawkeye that gave a glimpse of the character's everyday life. If he plans to do something similar here, Jimmy Olsen is a very good choice. I can't think of a better non-superhero character to do that kind of story about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Why not? They're interesting, fun characters who can tell stories the costumed heroes can't, and delve into genres and themes and tones the costumed heroes can't. Did we *need* Gotham Central? Those cops could (and did) show up in half a dozen different Bat books.

I mean, did we *need* a Mister Miracle book? No. And there were more popular characters not being used while King was telling his story. We didnt need that book, but it was still one of the best things DC's done this decade.

I'll be surprised if the current market can keep Lois and Jimmy in their titles for more than 18-24 months. But we could still get two really solid, enjoyable, unique titles out of the deal. I see no problem here.

Besides, Superman used to carry four monthly books plus a quarterly. These days he's down to two. This is just putting the Super-titles back to their previous numbers.
    I don't read DC or Marvel for the regular person but that's just me.

If Mister Miracle appeared in two monthly titles I would say why not focus on others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I feel like since these are both gonna be essentially Bendis books, directly connecting to his own stories and written by his friends, they'll essentially be able to go on as long as Bendis, Fraction, & Rucka decide they want to do it for.

You got Action and Superman. One would think that's enough and more than most characters get.
    That’s true but I don’t really view it as a “win-loss” situation. If Rucka and Fraction didn’t get these books I doubt they’d be on other books. Fraction for example swore never to do Big 2 stuff again. The only thing bringing him back is probably that Bendis can use his status to shield him from editorial.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Matt Fraction's Hawkeye was one of my favorite all time character books. Him on Jimmy Olsen makes me very happy. I think Rucka is a perfect fit for Lois Lane, too.

All-in on that Jimmy Olsen comic. The one that Nick Spencer did years ago made me yearn for more Jimmy comics. Having Matt Fraction write is a dream.
    Last edited by Hatut Zeraze; 04-01-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Mighty Member

I wasn't a big Hawkeye fan but I have a feeling I'm going to love this Jimmy Olsen book.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Jimmy IS a great character so I don't see why he wouldn't deserve a title.