Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default XXXX: A very good year for DC

Based off cover dates, pick one year between 1938 and now that you think was a real standout, and why.

Now there are some obvious candidates.
    • 1939 saw the launch at most of the characters that have made DC great.
    • 1961 saw the launch of the Justice League and a widening of the superhero-verse
    • 1984 saw the launch of the dierct market books, the wrap up of the Judas Contract, and a sweeping Legion of Supervillains arc.
    • 1986 saw the Crisis reboot, but also a host of relaunches and experiments.
    • 2011 gave us a bold attempt at revitalization.

So, think beyond the obvious; what's your favorite? What was DC's best possible year?
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 04-01-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Amazing Member

Of those, I'd say 1961. Not sure of the years, but that era had some great JLA.
    Last edited by MrBlondey; 03-31-2019 at 03:29 PM.

1993: The launch of Vertigo.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    1993: The launch of Vertigo.
    Sandman Mystery Theatre was solid gold.

1994- James Robinson’s Starman launched. My favorite DC series. You also had Mark Waid’s The Flash going very strong during this time as well......I want to say Impulse debuted this year as well?

AND Jerry Ordway’s Power of Shazam released this year!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

1993 saw an explosion on the DC line. We saw books featuring Catwoman, Robin, Superboy, a Matrix Supergirl mini. We had the beginnings of the Death/Reign/Return of Superman, and Bane broke the Bat, leading to some great interim characters. Milestone Comics was launched, leading a revolution for people of color making, and creating comics about characters of color. PAD started his legendary run on Aquaman with the Time & Tide mini. The LOSH got a companion book with Legionnaires. So much good stuff.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    1993 saw an explosion on the DC line. We saw books featuring Catwoman, Robin, Superboy, a Matrix Supergirl mini. We had the beginnings of the Death/Reign/Return of Superman, and Bane broke the Bat, leading to some great interim characters. Milestone Comics was launched, leading a revolution for people of color making, and creating comics about characters of color. PAD started his legendary run on Aquaman with the Time & Tide mini. The LOSH got a companion book with Legionnaires. So much good stuff.
    This was a huge year for me as a reader. Was nine years old and totally obsessed.

Extraordinary Member

Apart from what's already been said, I'd say:

1992/3: The Death of Superman Saga. Regardless of how you view the story itself, it did create a huge amount of publicity for DC and is still considered to this day as a classic and is possible one of the seminal events in Superman and DC continuity.

2016: when the New 52 was put out of its misery

2016: A good attempt to right so many wrongs. Sadly, it was killed in its infancy.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

For me the mid 90's was the best DC has ever been. But if I would have to pick a specific year I would say 1995.

My two favorite heroes had two of my favorite series. Flash was at the hieght of Waid's run. Superman was in midst of the Jurgen, Triangle years.

Dixon was expanding the Batman family with great stories. Kyle was just starting to bloom as the new Green Lantern. Peter David was doing great on Aquaman. John Byrne was starting on WW.

The new generation was coming with Superboy, Impulse and Tim. Vertigo was in full swing.

Probably others I'll think of later.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Astonishing Member

2007 was a very big year for DC comics, because that was the year of the Sinestro Corps war, a storyline that took comicdom by storm. While DC was seemingly pushing Amazons Attack as that years big storyline. The Sinestro Corps War was such a big hit, it galvanized Geoff Johns as DC's golden boy, elevated Green Lantern to DC's 2nd biggest property. It made DC hotter than anything had before except COIE. Lets be honest DC and Marvel have a couple of big events every year but I can't think of one before or since that launched the plastic rings and the different T-shirts that you still see around today, it captured a zeitgeist or sparked something. Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Doomsday Clock any of the Bat events nothing was hot like that was. DC has been trying to recapture it since by putting the creative team on Aquaman, doing Blackest Night and everything else. For me nothing has come close.

Any year from 1992-1996. Great talent. Great events. Great comics.

2007 was great due to the stuff happening in all the mainstream titles. Sinestro Corps. Busiek on Superman. Morrison on Bats. Great Justice League run. Etc.

1987: the births of JLI and the modern Suicide Squad, Wally went solo and the post-Crisis universe finally solidified.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    1992/3: The Death of Superman Saga. Regardless of how you view the story itself, it did create a huge amount of publicity for DC and is still considered to this day as a classic and is possible one of the seminal events in Superman and DC continuity.
    That's where this question gets deliberately tough. Is it calendar year 1992, or 1993 that was the better? If we allow split-years, then we're evaluating runs or arcs, which is a totally different animal.

2012. New 52 was a thing and it opened up for people like me an avenue into comics without having to read in the past or wiki everything.