Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Why do so many writers suck at writing WW

Is it because they don’t know much about her? Is it a character problem? Do they just suck at writing? What is it?Why can’t DC find common ground in anything relating to WW? It’s starting to get extremely annoying. Her verse is a damn MESS and it’s been this way for awhile. I feel like I can’t read anything relating to WW anymore because there is not much consistency + the awful writing/art.

They always half-ass everything relating to WW.

They all have their own thoughts of Who is Wonder Woman. They also don't have a Wonder Woman editor and can either be stopped by whatever editor she is in or they get completely control. She needs her own editor. Someone who will stop writers from rebooting her over and over again

They all think they know who Wonder Woman is, but they really haven't the slightest clue about her. Diana is a composite if so many things: daughter, princess, warrior, superhero, peace proclaimer, champion for others who cannot defend themselves. They all need to read Wonder Woman's 80 year history and learn about the character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    They all have their own thoughts of Who is Wonder Woman. They also don't have a Wonder Woman editor and can either be stopped by whatever editor she is in or they get completely control. She needs her own editor. Someone who will stop writers from rebooting her over and over again
    Wonder Woman has an editor, which is probably the editor for other Justice League characters too (except Batman and Superman).

The thing is the editor for Batman is also the editor for Batfamily, while the same happen with Superman and the Superfamily. Wonder Woman only has a book, so she wouldn't have her own editor.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

They find the Greek/myth world around her more interesting, or they don’t like her.

Important to remember that sometimes writers are brought on specifically to revamp her. JMS and Azzarelo are recent examples. The movie helps provide some stability in that regard as they did for Batman and Superman.

Remember people, Wonder Woman the title has an editor: it is listed on the credits page of every issue. But I also have little clue how DC's office and editing culture looks, and I guess that goes for most of the people here—a lot of the rumours around it is probably out of date or given by someone with an axe to grind.

Anyway, we have had similar threads earlier: Is Wonder Woman Hard To Write (2014 thread); Wonder Woman hard to write? (2018 thread)

That said, I think a huge part of the problems were hinted at by Christopher Priest (but remember that that one is from near twenty years ago): DC does not want to rock the boat with Wonder Woman (i.e. threaten her merchandising potential), but as created by Marston Wonder Woman has a strong political core, and the more you choose to examine her construction, the more political and radical she gets. Thus writers bounce away from engaging those aspects, or are told to back away by their editors. And the culture of comics writing has become dominated by middle aged heterosexual men, who should be the last people to write her, so those writers who gets the chance to do something real with the character (like Morrison) make an absolute hash of it.

However, I have decent hope for G Willow Wilson. She still has to deal with working out the continuity snarls, but at least we finally have a great female writer with a long-term vision for the character that I believe gets her radical nature.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Remember people, Wonder Woman the title has an editor: it is listed on the credits page of every issue. But I also have little clue how DC's office and editing culture looks, and I guess that goes for most of the people here—a lot of the rumours around it is probably out of date or given by someone with an axe to grind.

Anyway, we have had similar threads earlier: Is Wonder Woman Hard To Write (2014 thread); Wonder Woman hard to write? (2018 thread)

That said, I think a huge part of the problems were hinted at by Christopher Priest (but remember that that one is from near twenty years ago): DC does not want to rock the boat with Wonder Woman (i.e. threaten her merchandising potential), but as created by Marston Wonder Woman has a strong political core, and the more you choose to examine her construction, the more political and radical she gets. Thus writers bounce away from engaging those aspects, or are told to back away by their editors. And the culture of comics writing has become dominated by middle aged heterosexual men, who should be the last people to write her, so those writers who gets the chance to do something real with the character (like Morrison) make an absolute hash of it.

However, I have decent hope for G Willow Wilson. She still has to deal with working out the continuity snarls, but at least we finally have a great female writer with a long-term vision for the character that I believe gets her radical nature.

What about Gail Simone ? She wrote Wonder Woman in the past ? Shouldn’t she matter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    What about Gail Simone ? She wrote Wonder Woman in the past ? Shouldn’t she matter ?
    I think Gail Simone is a good writer, and in some respects excellent, but her run has been erased by events. I also believe that her strengths as a writer (as I see it: short arcs, wacky adventures, street-level stuff) are not that great a fit for what Wonder Woman needs as a character right now.

However, I think she'd make an extraordinary editor for the book, at least from a story and background aspect.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I actually don't think that's the problem, one of the best writers she ever had was a middle-aged heterosexual male (Rucka) and it's not like Meredith Finch, Shea Fontana, Jodi Picoult or even Gail Simone had the inside track writing Wonder Woman based on their sex or sexuality.

There is some truth in DC running away from her overtly political aspects though, which is weird in this environment that's given us the Silencer, Naomi, Kamala Khan, Jane Foster Thor, etc. If it were Marvel they'd probably highlight her SJW roots instead of avoid them, but we see as subtle as G. Willow Wilson has been at interlacing her run with political undertones, there have been posters that have balked at it.

Astonishing Member

Each comic has a particular editor.

I think AmMizuno means an office. There's a Batman office (which include the Batfamily) and a Superman office (which include the Superfamily), but there is not a Wonder Woman office (she seems to be included in Justice League office).

However, so far, some of the most popular and praised writers for Wonder Woman seem to be middle aged heterosexual men. So, I don't they think couldn't writer about her.

At the end, it depends how the writer writes Wonder Woman and her world.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    There is some truth in DC running away from her overtly political aspects though, which is weird in this environment that's given us the Silencer, Naomi, Kamala Khan, Jane Foster Thor, etc. If it were Marvel they'd probably highlight her SJW roots instead of avoid them, but we see as subtle as G. Willow Wilson has been at interlacing her run with political undertones, there have been posters that have balked at it.
    I guess it helps the characters you mentioned can represent the minority aspect from their perspective as well.

This is difficult to apply in Wonder Woman, because her origin, her powers and her position make her avoid the majority of problems that a woman suffer as a minority.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-01-2019 at 05:24 AM.

I actually don't think that's the problem, one of the best writers she ever had was a middle-aged heterosexual male (Rucka) and it's not like Meredith Finch, Shea Fontana, Jodi Picoult or even Gail Simone had the inside track writing Wonder Woman based on their sex or sexuality.
    Rucka's done a decent job, but even he has not really delved into her radical aspects to any great degree: I'd say he and Simone are about on par there, though they emphasise different aspects. Among female writers, I haven't read Jodi Picoult, Finch was a disaster, but I think Fontana's run is underrated. Nothing earth-shattering, but a solid story.

But I think I should be clear here: there is a difference between writing a solid Wonder Woman adventure with a decent grasp of her personality, and really delving into her radical political roots. Both Rucka and Simone has proven themselves able of the first. Of the second, not so much; how much of that is because of DC and because of themselves, I can't tell.

Agreed. Though the hiring of Wilson might imply a change here. You don't hire a writer like her if you want to avoid storylines with political implications.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I guess it helps the characters you mentioned can represent the minority aspect from their perspective as well.

This is difficult to apply in Wonder Woman, because her origin, her powers and her position make her avoid the majority of problems that a woman suffer as a minority.
    *cough* Secretary of the Justice Society *cough*

I think one could easily look into issues of sexism within the superhero community. Her origin means that she has not internalised the sexism of our society, not that she magically avoids it.

Mighty Member

And the culture of comics writing has become dominated by middle aged heterosexual men, who should be the last people to write her, so those writers who gets the chance to do something real with the character (like Morrison) make an absolute hash of it.
    Hate to be that guy, but I'm not going to entertain the notion that stories and ideas are valid based on their originator and not on the stories and ideas proper.

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    Why do so many writers suck at writing WW
    Is it that they "suck" or just that they're not writing a Wonder Woman you really enjoy?

I seem to recall that the New52/Azzarello & Chiang run was quite divisive on these boards. Some people (like myself) truly enjoyed the brand-new take on Wonder Woman in a changed DC universe, while others hated it because it wasn't anything like what had come in the previous +/-70 years (which at that point were no longer in continuity for the majority of DC's characters). What also didn't help was that the Geoff Johns-written version of Wonder Woman over in Justice League seemed to be basically disconnected from what was happening in her own series.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    . . . At the end, it depends how the writer writes Wonder Woman and her world.
    As well as what the readers want/expect from the character and her stories, and there really doesn't seem to be a clear consensus as to what is the best direction that will make most people happy.