Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why do so many writers suck at writing WW

Is it because they don’t know much about her? Is it a character problem? Do they just suck at writing? What is it?Why can’t DC find common ground in anything relating to WW? It’s starting to get extremely annoying. Her verse is a damn MESS and it’s been this way for awhile. I feel like I can’t read anything relating to WW anymore because there is not much consistency + the awful writing/art.

They always half-ass everything relating to WW.

They all have their own thoughts of Who is Wonder Woman. They also don't have a Wonder Woman editor and can either be stopped by whatever editor she is in or they get completely control. She needs her own editor. Someone who will stop writers from rebooting her over and over again

They all think they know who Wonder Woman is, but they really haven't the slightest clue about her. Diana is a composite if so many things: daughter, princess, warrior, superhero, peace proclaimer, champion for others who cannot defend themselves. They all need to read Wonder Woman's 80 year history and learn about the character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    They all have their own thoughts of Who is Wonder Woman. They also don't have a Wonder Woman editor and can either be stopped by whatever editor she is in or they get completely control. She needs her own editor. Someone who will stop writers from rebooting her over and over again
    Wonder Woman has an editor, which is probably the editor for other Justice League characters too (except Batman and Superman).

The thing is the editor for Batman is also the editor for Batfamily, while the same happen with Superman and the Superfamily. Wonder Woman only has a book, so she wouldn't have her own editor.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

They find the Greek/myth world around her more interesting, or they don’t like her.

Important to remember that sometimes writers are brought on specifically to revamp her. JMS and Azzarelo are recent examples. The movie helps provide some stability in that regard as they did for Batman and Superman.

Remember people, Wonder Woman the title has an editor: it is listed on the credits page of every issue. But I also have little clue how DC's office and editing culture looks, and I guess that goes for most of the people here—a lot of the rumours around it is probably out of date or given by someone with an axe to grind.

Anyway, we have had similar threads earlier: Is Wonder Woman Hard To Write (2014 thread); Wonder Woman hard to write? (2018 thread)

That said, I think a huge part of the problems were hinted at by Christopher Priest (but remember that that one is from near twenty years ago): DC does not want to rock the boat with Wonder Woman (i.e. threaten her merchandising potential), but as created by Marston Wonder Woman has a strong political core, and the more you choose to examine her construction, the more political and radical she gets. Thus writers bounce away from engaging those aspects, or are told to back away by their editors. And the culture of comics writing has become dominated by middle aged heterosexual men, who should be the last people to write her, so those writers who gets the chance to do something real with the character (like Morrison) make an absolute hash of it.

However, I have decent hope for G Willow Wilson. She still has to deal with working out the continuity snarls, but at least we finally have a great female writer with a long-term vision for the character that I believe gets her radical nature.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Important to remember that sometimes writers are brought on specifically to revamp her. JMS and Azzarelo are recent examples. The movie helps provide some stability in that regard as they did for Batman and Superman.
    Her first movie was good. But i wouldn't want that to be the portrayal of her everywhere else. I don't want to see a WW that depends so much on a sword and a shield. It is important to get the voice of her character right and portray her as a powerhouse as well.

So far DC still shows us no interest in being consistent with her. Maybe because many writers think they know her, but they don't. Diana is more than an ambassador of peace, or a warrior with huge power. She is a combination of many things. And if certain writers aren't willing to see that. We will keep seeing a portrayal that doesn't feel complete.
    Last edited by starlight25; 04-03-2019 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    Why do so many writers suck at writing WW
    Is it that they "suck" or just that they're not writing a Wonder Woman you really enjoy?

I seem to recall that the New52/Azzarello & Chiang run was quite divisive on these boards. Some people (like myself) truly enjoyed the brand-new take on Wonder Woman in a changed DC universe, while others hated it because it wasn't anything like what had come in the previous +/-70 years (which at that point were no longer in continuity for the majority of DC's characters). What also didn't help was that the Geoff Johns-written version of Wonder Woman over in Justice League seemed to be basically disconnected from what was happening in her own series.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    . . . At the end, it depends how the writer writes Wonder Woman and her world.
    As well as what the readers want/expect from the character and her stories, and there really doesn't seem to be a clear consensus as to what is the best direction that will make most people happy.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Lack of understanding or respect for her supporting characters and villains which in many ways could be seen as not truely grasping WW as a character.

[QUOTE=mathew101281;4283786]Lack of understanding or respect for her supporting characters and villains which in many ways could be seen as not truely grasping WW as a character.[/QUOTE

This is one of my biggest problems with many WW writers. Seems like every writer comes along and either ignores her supporting cast or, create their own. Imagine if Jimmy Olsen, Lana Lang or, Lois Lane were ignored by Superman writers or, if Alfred didn't appear in the Bat books for years at a stretch. Fans would be outraged yet, this is what happens to Diana's supporting cast. Why did it take so long for us to get a contemporary Steve Trevor and Etta Candy? Where is Cassie, Donna and heck, the rest of the Amazons for cryin out loud?! It's crazy to me that you have all of these characters sidelined that give the book a sense of family and continuity.

As for WW villains, why is it that ever since Cheetah showed up post nu52 and Rebirth, she's mainly appeared in JL?? To be honest, I'm a bit worn out from the Greek gods as adversaries. Build up her rogues gallery. There's been plenty of worthy villains throughout the years to chose from that could use a modern take.

Amazing Member

Because DC allows everybody and his brother to do anything to the character because they don't care about diana. They just need a title con the stand to keep copyright to che character. George Pérez was the only one who cared. Editors just say yes to anybody that allows them to put the comic out, they don't care what is in the comic itself.

I agree with your frustrations. I too, have been so bored or just ticked off with DC lately I only see red! There is no continuity with her mythos, her supporting cast, her rouges (if she really has any good ones anymore), her costume, her powers and her past events. I almost would put it out there that Dan d. And g. Johns don’t like her. Whenever we get a new writer they immediately just ignore the past ones work. I would love for us to storm into DC HQ and force them to read every issue of all her books and then give them the WW ENCYCLOPEDIA to use for future work. Here’s another scary thought, Batman will always be their first and only priority. That needs to change and soon!

A few thoughts that I’ve jotted down while I play around with her characters and concepts and any new characters I’m developing for her mythos:

Embrace her political nature, her Amazon philosophy, and the world-changing mission inherent in the character and marry it to the action and adventure and superheroics inherent in her character.

Expand her world beyond threats from Greek mythology, to include and elevate her unused costumed supervillains.

Develop her supporting cast into into intriguing and special characters. People should want to read more Hippolyta, Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, other named Amazons, Donna Troy, Cassie and Helena Sandsmark, Vanessa and Julia Kapatelis, Ed Indelicato, etc.

Give Diana a city where many of these characters can operate and that’s as unique and thematically fitting for her as Metropolis is for Supes and Gotham is for Bats.

Realize that Wonder Woman can “work” in as many genres and tones as Batman; crime, superhero, mystery, sci-fi, horror, comedy, camp, drama, etc. - she has no limits.

Invest in and double down on her concepts - Diana Prince ID, invisible jet, Transformation Island, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    A few thoughts that I’ve jotted down while I play around with her characters and concepts and any new characters I’m developing for her mythos:

Embrace her political nature, her Amazon philosophy, and the world-changing mission inherent in the character and marry it to the action and adventure and superheroics inherent in her character.

Expand her world beyond threats from Greek mythology, to include and elevate her unused costumed supervillains.

Develop her supporting cast into into intriguing and special characters. People should want to read more Hippolyta, Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, other named Amazons, Donna Troy, Cassie and Helena Sandsmark, Vanessa and Julia Kapatelis, Ed Indelicato, etc.

Give Diana a city where many of these characters can operate and that’s as unique and thematically fitting for her as Metropolis is for Supes and Gotham is for Bats.

Realize that Wonder Woman can “work” in as many genres and tones as Batman; crime, superhero, mystery, sci-fi, horror, comedy, camp, drama, etc. - she has no limits.

Invest in and double down on her concepts - Diana Prince ID, invisible jet, Transformation Island, etc.
    Nay to the invisible jet! Diana does not need it nor should she have it when she is supposed to fly. Maybe Steve Trevor should have it?