Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Going back to the OP's question, if so many writers seem to suck at WW, reading these posts suggests that it's at least partly because there are several camps of fans who each want different things without any interest in settling for less, regardless of what might be best for WW in the long term.

Hm. Much like US politics these days

I feel like every new Wonder Woman writer feels like they have to "fix" the book, which means that outside of the costume (and sometimes not even that) the only consistent element in a Wonder Woman book is Diana as the protagonist. There's relatively few notable recurring supporting characters, and those that do exist like Steve Trevor and Etta Candy have been reinvented so many times that there's not really a singular iconic version of them. Editorial should have made sure the post-Rucka writers kept the supporting cast he established in place.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I feel like every new Wonder Woman writer feels like they have to "fix" the book, which means that outside of the costume (and sometimes not even that) the only consistent element in a Wonder Woman book is Diana as the protagonist. There's relatively few notable recurring supporting characters, and those that do exist like Steve Trevor and Etta Candy have been reinvented so many times that there's not really a singular iconic version of them. Editorial should have made sure the post-Rucka writers kept the supporting cast he established in place.
    They kind of did. This is the first time the supporting cast has been so consistent from writer to writer for as long as I've been reading Wonder Woman. Sure Maggie is a new addition to Wilson's run as well as the mythic 3, but Steve and Etta are still around though not seen as much. What's important is the continuity is still the same. Which is why I was so ecstatic when Veronica Cale showed up and her daughter Izzy was mentioned. Also Nemesis who appeared in WW Odyssey which was another reality yet Diana still remembered her. That means on some level Diana is aware of her past selves and that's something else for me to be happy about.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    They kind of did. This is the first time the supporting cast has been so consistent from writer to writer for as long as I've been reading Wonder Woman. Sure Maggie is a new addition to Wilson's run as well as the mythic 3, but Steve and Etta are still around though not seen as much. What's important is the continuity is still the same. Which is why I was so ecstatic when Veronica Cale showed up and her daughter Izzy was mentioned. Also Nemesis who appeared in WW Odyssey which was another reality yet Diana still remembered her. That means on some level Diana is aware of her past selves and that's something else for me to be happy about.
    I suppose I was thinking more about Robinson's run, which I didn't actually read much of because... well, it wasn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I suppose I was thinking more about Robinson's run, which I didn't actually read much of because... well, it wasn't good.
    Robinson was less about fixing her and more about fulfilling editorial mandates like dealing with Jason. His run barely focuses on Diana at all. But even he didn’t really mess with her origin too much. We’ve been pretty fortunate in that by and large, the groundwork Rucka laid in his Rebirth run has been respected.

Even if we could come to an accord that Wonder Woman should be bulletproof or not, this isn't really a topic that orbits the question of the thread. Does Wonder Woman being bulletproof or not make for a better story? I would say no.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Even if we could come to an accord that Wonder Woman should be bulletproof or not, this isn't really a topic that orbits the question of the thread. Does Wonder Woman being bulletproof or not make for a better story? I would say no.
    If not bulletproof, then armored, and I would say yes, it could make for a better story. After 75 years of *not* being bulletproof, changing that would be a change of pace with more story potential. That you have to ratchet up the bad guys doesn't automatically equate to a bad/worse story.

At the very least, it's story neutral.

Batman is bulletproof. Aquaman is bulletproof. Neither of them started out as such, but they and their powers/abilities/equipment evolved. Diana goes backwards, it seems, far too often.

It does because we have several instances pf Diana nearly being killed with bullets outside of her comics You need to have some rules that follow outside of the book. For example, the face Cheetah can be defeated by Green Arrow and Batman can defeated Circe with one magical word tells you not to take them seriously. There nears to be a serious note on how to deal with her foes. There needs to be basic rules for her and her enemies

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    It does because we have several instances pf Diana nearly being killed with bullets outside of her comics You need to have some rules that follow outside of the book. For example, the face Cheetah can be defeated by Green Arrow and Batman can defeated Circe with one magical word tells you not to take them seriously. There nears to be a serious note on how to deal with her foes. There needs to be basic rules for her and her enemies
    It goes both ways though, for example Shaggy Man, a JL villain, was dispatched easily in the final issue of Rucka's run. A villain that often has to be transported to outer space or another dimension to defeat.

I would also say the rules regarding Wonder Woman's bullet immunity appear to be consistent in that she can get shot.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

We did the bulletproof armor already and it was ugly.

WW Ugly Armor.jpg

Standing there and getting shot at while the bullets bounce off is far less impressive than something like this...

WW wonder-woman-reflecting-bullets-blindfolded.jpg
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 07-01-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Astonishing Member

Standing there and getting shot at while the bullets bounce off is far less impressive than something like this...

A million times this.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

We did the bulletproof armor already and it was ugly.

WW Ugly Armor.jpg

Depends on how it looks. The above scene looks rather cluttered.

This scene looks simpler but is also effective.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Eh. Still looks pretty dull to me. I always enjoy seeing characters in motion than still.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

She has almost died in JL yet while it hurts can get up. I think the best way is that Diana can't die by bullets. It hurts but doesn't kill. You have her being able to bombs and live. Be able to fight despite being stabbed multiple times. I mean shouldn't the amazons have somewhat tough skill? I mean the fact in many cases the Amazons have made some of the tougher weapons and materials shouldn't Diana and the Amazons be less harmed by our weapons? Mostly bullets? Now we don't want to make her Superman but when it comes to certain things I'm not saying swords should be broken by hitting Diana. Rather they cut her being due damage that doesn't match they did.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Bullets & bracelets is her trademark, it's something that only Wonder Woman does, it's how she's always done it and it's a nice little reminder that Wonder Woman has super speed