Default Multiverse Question

If you time travel and change the past will it impact the fate of different universes? I ask because in theory every choice made creates another world but if you go back and change history then you potentially change those choices so you'd be impacting the fates of other worlds. That feels like the most obvious result though I'm probably over thinking it.

BANNED

I believe it would only affect the universe in which the change was made. Other universes are completely different realities and don't share histories.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    If you time travel and change the past will it impact the fate of different universes? I ask because in theory every choice made creates another world but if you go back and change history then you potentially change those choices so you'd be impacting the fates of other worlds. That feels like the most obvious result though I'm probably over thinking it.
    It depends, but possibly.

If we look at pre-Crisis mechanics, although any change made to a universe would only affect that universe, the iterations between different Earths were frequent enough that a cascade effect could happen.

Now, the post-Crisis Multiverse, as created in 52 and present up until Metal, has been flat-right stated to be dependent on Earth-0. Further, Flashpoint appears to be a mere time-line alteration, and it changed the whole Multiverse.

Right now, nothing makes much sense anyway so yeah, any change made would probably affect everything, or nothing, or both. Hell, maybe the change wasn't even made. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Right now, nothing makes much sense anyway so yeah, any change made would probably affect everything, or nothing, or both. Hell, maybe the change wasn't even made. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    That's a good point. The reality is DC hasn't thought out its multiverse well enough for us to actually know.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Yeah, changing history on other Earths just affects those Earths, but Earth-0 is the keystone upon which the current Multiverse is based upon, so any alteration of history that occurs on the primary Earth can have a ripple effect on the rest of the Multiverse.

For instance, the Earth of President Calvin Ellis, who we first met in Final Crisis, had been rebooted when we saw him again in Action Comics at the start of the New 52, even though he was written by Grant Morrison both times. When President Superman reappeared in Multiversity, he was the same as his prior appearance because no further tampering had taken place on Earth-0.