Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

These characters, when written right, can be scary as hell.

Annihilus
    The Brood
    The Celestials

In the MU I suppose the Brood and Annihlus are the scariest. Maybe Ultron too.

As a reader non.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The Dire Wraiths. There's something so disturbing about the way they drill into your brain and dissolve you. And then they use your face to sneak up on the people you love and do the same to them.

Yeah, they're on my list too, for the reasons you stated.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    I think this is perfectly in tone with the narrative. A villain MUST be scary, terrifying, monstrous in the insed more than outside. Just so that when the hero challenge and defeat him it become all more satisfying. A story apart are those villains who have a sort of ambiguous duality, s ort of honorable likeable nature, those work better as foil for the hero, as they become his/her doppelganger, what they could be if they let themselves go for a different darker path.
    In the sotry above, the defeat of Bullseye is less his being not scary or weak, but American Eagle( a character that NEED more comic book presence) being a badass hero.
    Not unlike Luke Cage challenging Purple Man, or Silver surfer defying Galactus.
    Eh, I think it's more that Bullseye never really faced that many superhumans and came out on top. Bullseye is okay against normal people, but when he's the under dog, he can't step up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Eh, I think it's more that Bullseye never really faced that many superhumans and came out on top. Bullseye is okay against normal people, but when he's the under dog, he can't step up.
    He's sort of like the Punisher. Frank is a scary, scary man when it's just him against normal villains, but then you put him up against someone with a real power and a real killing intent, like Daken, and he has trouble, because what are you supposed to do against him? If you can dictate the fighting area and get the upperhand early, then that's one thing, but if you don't, you're up against someone who will just heal from whatever you throw at him. And even if you think you've killed him, there's a good chance that he isn't dead.

This goes especially for if you're some poor soul going up against X-23 or Logan. Heck, any hero with a healing factor.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    He's sort of like the Punisher. Frank is a scary, scary man when it's just him against normal villains, but then you put him up against someone with a real power and a real killing intent, like Daken, and he has trouble, because what are you supposed to do against him? If you can dictate the fighting area and get the upperhand early, then that's one thing, but if you don't, you're up against someone who will just heal from whatever you throw at him. And even if you think you've killed him, there's a good chance that he isn't dead.

This goes especially for if you're some poor soul going up against X-23 or Logan. Heck, any hero with a healing factor.
    You account for the healing factor, instead of using just bullets?

Deadshot was bad ass in the original Suicide Squad, and his Christos Gage mini, because he found work arounds when he couldn't just shoot them. He stepped up his game, and earned his bad ass cred

I remember one character nearly killed Wolverine back in the day because she shot him with mercury laced bullets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    You account for the healing factor, instead of using just bullets?

Deadshot was bad ass in the original Suicide Squad, and his Christos Gage mini, because he found work arounds when he couldn't just shoot them. He stepped up his game, and earned his bad ass cred

I remember one character nearly killed Wolverine back in the day because she shot him with mercury laced bullets
    Again, if you can plan for them, then you have a chance. Of course, there's a good chance that they will still get back up and come after you.

Boisterously Confused

It's rarely been done right, but Ultron has massive scary potential.

It views itself as simply beyond us (seemingly unaware of its own Oedipal hangups), and simply won't stop until its view of evolution has taken its course. There is no mercy or pity in it. If you live, you're an inferior that needs culling. Right after it deals with that Pym guy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    It's rarely been done right, but Ultron has massive scary potential.

It views itself as simply beyond us (seemingly unaware of its own Oedipal hangups), and simply won't stop until its view of evolution has taken its course. There is no mercy or pity in it. If you live, you're an inferior that needs culling. Right after it deals with that Pym guy.
    I had my problems with Dungan's cosmic stuff towards the end, but damn does he make Ultron scary AS. And Hank Pym just makes him more horrifying.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Lilith, mother of demons. Had a creepy debut appearance. She busted out of a leviathan she was imprisoned and killed two scientist explorers.

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

I'm learning a lot from this thread. I didn't realize Marvel had this much of a dark side.
    Baby Thanos

Ultron seems terrifying to me. I know that people like Thanos are above his league but when Ultron shows up you know that things are going to go bad. Very bad.

Mighty Member

Hybrid. He's only fifteen, but he was raised by Dire Wraiths. Having mutant and Dire Wraith powers, he's a deranged rapist and nutcase who killed his own mother by rapidly aging her to a withered corpse. I'll admit, his attempts to rape Kitty Pryde was one of the first times Marvel has disturbed me.

Astonishing Member

Gimme a good Puppetmaster story

Someone who looks fairly innocuous almost Grandfatherly most of the time and what can he do? Control your body like a puppet and make you do whatever he wishes. He doesn't usually even have to be all that near you to control you if at all and he has barely any limits at that since he's practiced it so many times. All that and like many villains he's been presumed dead multiple times and unlike say Purple Man and the like he doesn't have powers himself so the fact this creepy old man who can do all this seemingly can't be stopped...is just pretty horrifying.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Hybrid. He's only fifteen, but he was raised by Dire Wraiths. Having mutant and Dire Wraith powers, he's a deranged rapist and nutcase who killed his own mother by rapidly aging her to a withered corpse. I'll admit, his attempts to rape Kitty Pryde was one of the first times Marvel has disturbed me.
    Yeah, lets pray no mature title grabs Hybrid. He's easily one of the most twisted villains, if not the most, Marvel has.