View Poll Results: How would you rate Wonder Woman's portrayal in this animated film?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★ - Loved seeing classic JL/U Diana again!

5 31.25%
  • ★★★★ - Liked her portrayal a lot!

3 18.75%
  • ★★★ - It was pretty cool, but I had a few issues with it.

5 31.25%
  • ★★ - I didn't like it.

3 18.75%
  • ★ - I hated Diana in this movie.

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fantastic Member

I have to say I enjoyed this animation. As far as WW is concerned,

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

The Good

WW was portrayed as capable fighter with some cool moves, even against a super villain from the future. She also managed to defeat someone (though temporarily) someone who managed to make Superman bleed.

She had some feats of strengths and signs of speed and very fast reflexes (dodging that flying axe)

The Bad

Again Superman shown to save the day instead of Diana catching the falling Lantern... a good chance to show Diana's speed and Superman comes saving the day. Not sure why Diana can't hold on that Axe when it seems she's portrayed to be stronger than her opponent; strong enough to knock him out at least

Plot Hole?

How did that GL become so powerful all of a sudden in the end that she's able to defeat the Five alone? WTH...

So WW's sword got broken striking Doomsday, yet it can repel the Axe that cut Superman...hmmmm....

BANNED

Overall i think it was good. Specially considering the fact that bruce tim doesn't have that much vision when it comes to portraying Wonder Woman right.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She wasn't written terribly when she had the sword in her film or when she had it in Rucka's first run. By contrast the DCAU and All Star Batman and Robin versions didn't use swords and were terribly written.

This movie was produced by Bruce Timm who's writing on Diana has never been particularly good. The sword isn't the problem. The people behind the movie are.
    I don't think the sword is necessarily always the problem but I think it definitely looks tacked-on to Wonder Woman's DCAU design and partially there just because "Wonder Woman has to have a sword now."

Spectacular Member

I'm an old-time Wonder Woman fan, which definitely skews my preference for how she is portrayed. I understand that for many younger fan, the animated Justice League version of Wonder Woman is what they grew up on/are most familiar with.

What I liked:

--It was fantastic to see her classic costume back in action. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I saw it.
    --Wonder Woman was a capable fighter and, I thought, sufficiently powerful and skilled.
    --I loved the scenes where she used the lasso.
    --I was really thrilled to hear the returning voice actors (Susan and Kevin). I really enjoyed the Justice League series (and B:TAS) and it was great to peek into this universe again.
    --I also enjoyed seeing some of the Legion again.

What I thought could be better:

--While she had a fair amount of screen time, Wonder Woman did not have much important dialog. I felt we heard more from Miss Martian than from Diana.
    --I wish Diana's abilities were displayed more accurately/appropriately. While she used the lasso (to pretty good effect), she did not (as far I can recall) use her bracelets in any way. I thought a perfect moment would have been to deflect or protect against Persuader's flying ax.
    --That said, I think nearly all of the Leaguers weren't portrayed to the best of their abilities. The need to balance how Batman and Mr. Terrific can hold their own against the Fatal Five just waters down Superman, Wonder Woman and the Legion by comparison. It would have been better if Bats and Mr. Terrific had teamed up against one of the Five, while Supes, WW and GL each got one. That would make more sense. But, it is what it is.
    --Nothing new was introduced in terms of depicting how abilities and powers were used, such as Saturn Girl's telepathic rings. So it wasn't as visually stimulating. Similarly, action for each hero/villain was limited to one thing at a time. So the dynamism and action seemed stilted and slow. This made the movie feel dated. Had this come out when Justice League was airing, I think it would have felt fresher.

What I did not like:

--That damn sword on Wonder Woman. It just looked like a weird after thought.
    --Diana attacking Jessica in the middle of the street, in broad daylight, after Jessica's therapy appointment. The biggest WTF moment for me.

All in all, three stars.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Did anyone watch this movie yet?

I saw it yesterday and... I really didn't like Wonder Woman's portrayal. I hate to be one of those, but that sword looked hideous and out-of-place just hanging on her waist. Her "broke a nail" line was eyeroll-inducing (intentional or not), and she seemed to be too gung-ho about attacking her opponents rather than trying to talk things out and learn more.

On the bright side, this movie had far better action sequences than WB has been putting out the past few years. Wondy got some great action moments herself, so there's that.
    Really liked the 'broke a nail' line. Especially since she had just decked the guy that decked Superman

The sword - yeah, it looked a bit odd but I warmed to it. Would have preferred they just use the lasso to get to Star Boy's memories, but the telepathic review was too cool to pass up.

I gave it 4 stars - her first scene with Jessica made me cringe a little, but I thought her reaction to the five was appropriate. Guys had just attacked a street full of civilians and showed the were dangerous by using lethal force on Clark. Crack some heads and reason with them when they can't try and kill anyone sounds justifiable to me.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Theo View Post
    Plot Hole?
    How did that GL become so powerful all of a sudden in the end that she's able to defeat the Five alone? WTH...
    Because DC has some kind of agenda for pushing Jessica Cruz so fiercely. In my opinion she's a horribly written character, weak and unworthy of being a Green Lantern or JL member. I'm such a huge fan of the JLU shows and really wish this movie wasn't associated with that franchise at all. Her character really made this a bad movie in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    Because DC has some kind of agenda for pushing Jessica Cruz so fiercely. In my opinion she's a horribly written character, weak and unworthy of being a Green Lantern or JL member. I'm such a huge fan of the JLU shows and really wish this movie wasn't associated with that franchise at all. Her character really made this a bad movie in my opinion.
    It's not associated with the JLU show. It just uses the same designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's not associated with the JLU show. It just uses the same designs.
    Thanks for clarifying! In continuity or not, it's still one of the worst animated flicks DC has done in my opinion, and mainly due to the pushing of the unworthy Jessica Cruz. And yes, it was ridiculous when she spoilers:
    took on the entire Fatal Five at the end
    end of spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    That's funny, I haven't read much Jessica Cruz outside the rare Justice League comic, but this movie made me a new fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's funny, I haven't read much Jessica Cruz outside the rare Justice League comic, but this movie made me a new fan.
    Just goes to show how different we all are. I'm glad you liked it. I'm sure she has her fans, I'm just not a fan.