Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    They will be releasing the whole Bryne/Jae Lee run this year in October in an omnibus! LINK
    Thanks! I'll have to remember to watch for that this fall

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I'm torn on the Bryne run myself, while I think he had a strong good first half, especially with Namor navigating a corporate world storyline, I feel his later comics weren't so good, especially the Namor, Llyra, and Llyron storyline where Namor is said to have been sterile, and then that was thrown out for the Kamar story in 2007. I disliked how little time I felt Namor spent in Atlantis. I just hated everything about Llyron.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

In 80 years of comics, what are the quintessential Namor moments in your opinion(s)?
    Last edited by Doombot; 04-01-2019 at 07:30 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    In 80 years of comic, what are the quintessential Namor moments in you opinion(s)?
    His first appearance in the Marvel Era in FF#4. This is the moment that established the FF and Marvel as a Shared Universe, in continuity to the Golden Age Timely Era of Namor and Cap. Mentioned it before, but reposting now:

Attachment 80628

ALAN MOORE: In [Fantastic Four #4], the Sub Mariner made his first appearance since the 1950’s, turning up in the guise of a down and out amnesiac tramp who was quietly rotting away in a Bowery flophouse until said establishment was visited by the Human Torch...In what, to me, remains one of the most electrifying comic scenes ever, an awestruck Johnny Storm ignites one finger using his flame-power and begins to shave away the tramp’s shaggy mane of hair and tangled beard to reveal the unearthly triangular face and elegant curving eyebrows of Prince Namor, the legendary Sub Mariner.
    -- Blinded by the Hype, 1983.

Then there's the Battle with Daredevil penciled by Wally Wood. Namor and Doctor Doom teaming up in EMPEROR DOOM is another one though not flattering to Namor I think but he gets a win at the end, when he leads the fight against Doom and strikes the blow that shuts down the Purple Pan Prism amplifier (albeit Doom kinda let him win). And that final bit where Namor tells the Avengers that he's going back to the seas where he doesn't want to be troubled with the W. C. Avengers noting that he was the guy who troubled them and it was the Avengers that freed him, captures Namor's unique quality and charm.

I am sure others can mention their own moments.

In 80 years of comic, what are the quintessential Namor moments in you opinion(s)?
    I have to say Sub-Mariner vs the Human Torch (original) because it was the first superhero crossover ever and it is also the first time there existed a shared universe of characters from different books!

namorhumantorch.jpg

My little Glo-worm!

My little Glo-worm!
    Namor and Jim are my favorites!!! After they fight in the beginning over the years they actually become really good friends! They have nicknames for each other and always have each others back. Namor calls Jim "Firebug" and Jim calls Namor "Water Rat". lol

namorhumatorch2.jpg

namorhumantorch3.jpg

namorhumantorch4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Let's not praise Byrne too much
    This is a Namor thread. Byrne's Namor run is held up as the best. If you have a problem with the praise take it up with CBR. It's their article.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

In 80 years of comics, what are the quintessential Namor moments in your opinion(s)?
    So much to pick from! I have to mostly agree with both Revolutionary_Jack and ImperiusWrecked on their choices. I would definitely include the FF 4 issue and the first superhero crossover, the Sub-Mariner vs Torch battle. Besides being great Namor stories, they both created / expanded on the idea of a shared Marvel universe.

The Daredevil issue is such a classic, and a great portrayal of Namor and his interactions with the surface world, it would be hard NOT to include it in our virtual 80th Anniversary issue.

Emperor Doom, while one of my favorite stories, probably isn't one that I would choose for some of the reasons Revolutionary_Jack stated. There are a couple of other Doom team up stories I would choose over that one.

One of my choices would have to be the classic Sub-Mariner #8.

Besides being a cool story, there was the amazingly rendered battle with the Thing by Big John Buscema. I mean, look at this page where Namor and the Thing fall through the floors (and panels) of this building. Not sure if this is the first time Big John did this, but it was certainly the first time I saw anything like it.

Plus, you had THREE of Namor's ladies in one issue, including the introduction to the Silver Age of the awesome Golden Age character Betty Dean!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    So much to pick from! I have to mostly agree with both Revolutionary_Jack and ImperiusWrecked on their choices. I would definitely include the FF 4 issue and the first superhero crossover, the Sub-Mariner vs Torch battle. Besides being great Namor stories, they both created / expanded on the idea of a shared Marvel universe.

The Daredevil issue is such a classic, and a great portrayal of Namor and his interactions with the surface world, it would be hard NOT to include it in our virtual 80th Anniversary issue.

Emperor Doom, while one of my favorite stories, probably isn't one that I would choose for some of the reasons Revolutionary_Jack stated. There are a couple of other Doom team up stories I would choose over that one.

One of my choices would have to be the classic Sub-Mariner #8.

Besides being a cool story, there was the amazingly rendered battle with the Thing by Big John Buscema. I mean, look at this page where Namor and the Thing fall through the floors (and panels) of this building. Not sure if this is the first time Big John did this, but it was certainly the first time I saw anything like it.

Plus, you had THREE of Namor's ladies in one issue, including the introduction to the Silver Age of the awesome Golden Age character Betty Dean!
    And what a Titanic battle it was...!

As I said over the in the Namor Thread, I'm posting my favorite moments from Namor comics over in twitter to celebrate 80 years of Namor, and I will start using Rev's #namor80 to tag the posts and here is a thread link for anyone interested! If you want to join in and post your favorite comic moments then please feel free to @ me in your posts!

Twitter Link

Day one: Namor appears for the first time

Day two: The Sub-Mariner vs The Human Torch!

Awesome. I love seeing all those old scans.

Day 3: The Sub-Mariner vs Wolverine! One of my favorite moments is when Namor proves that he will swim through concrete to kick Logan’s butt! Sub-Mariner (2007) #3

Awesome. I love seeing all those old scans.
    Glad you are enjoying them!

I created 80 Years of Namor banners taking out art from his comics to celebrate and here they all are! since there is a three post limit there will be multiple posts (and i didnt see the 2012 instead of 2010 mistake until it was all done and posted on my twitter, sigh. its ok)

continuing my banner posts: