Default Jordan Peel's Twilight Zone

https://youtu.be/19GO8-Rrn0g

The first episode is available on YouTube
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    https://youtu.be/19GO8-Rrn0g

The first episode is available on YouTube
    Felt like an updated slightly more optimistic version of the button.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Jordan Peele's TZ remake comes out of the gate pretty strong, IMO.

"The Comedian" is a solid concept that's mostly well executed. The acting is great, the tone feels right, and the twist works. The biggest problem is the show's runtime. It really should have been cut by half for maximum impact.

"Nightmare at 30,000 Feet" is incredible. Not a retread in the slightest. The cinematography is brilliant, heightening the tension at every turn.

Some other random thoughts:

--In the intro, "between the summit of man's knowledge and the pits of his fears" has been changed to "between the summit of one's knowledge and the pit of one's fears," presumably because it's gender neutral. But the interesting thing is I always took "man's" as being universal, not singular, as in all of humanity. The Twilight Zone is a personal experience, but a universal possibility. It's a small gripe, but I feel like it should be "between the summit of humanity's knowledge and the pit of humanity's fears."

--There are not only multiple F-bombs dropped but two very crude sexual references in "The Comedian." F-bombs in "Nightmare at 30,000 Feet" as well. I think it's a mistake, since the tone of TZ has always been family friendly. An odd creative choice that contributes nothing to the stories and potentially alienates the next generation of TZ fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Felt like an updated slightly more optimistic version of the button.
    mmmmmmaybe. I took it to be a slight update of a night gallery standup comedian story that was told in the original and another version that appeared in the 80s Twilight Zone.

but I get what you're going with (the Death Note elements).

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Jordan Peele's TZ remake comes out of the gate pretty strong, IMO.

"The Comedian" is a solid concept that's mostly well executed. The acting is great, the tone feels right, and the twist works. The biggest problem is the show's runtime. It really should have been cut by half for maximum impact.

"Nightmare at 30,000 Feet" is incredible. Not a retread in the slightest. The cinematography is brilliant, heightening the tension at every turn.

Some other random thoughts:

--In the intro, "between the summit of man's knowledge and the pits of his fears" has been changed to "between the summit of one's knowledge and the pit of one's fears," presumably because it's gender neutral. But the interesting thing is I always took "man's" as being universal, not singular, as in all of humanity. The Twilight Zone is a personal experience, but a universal possibility. It's a small gripe, but I feel like it should be "between the summit of humanity's knowledge and the pit of humanity's fears."

--There are not only multiple F-bombs dropped but two very crude sexual references in "The Comedian." F-bombs in "Nightmare at 30,000 Feet" as well. I think it's a mistake, since the tone of TZ has always been family friendly. An odd creative choice that contributes nothing to the stories and potentially alienates the next generation of TZ fans.

I've watched and collected every incarnation of the show. i'm not for them sprinkling in f-bombs just because they can. but I think they should be pushing boundaries. past episodes have been hurt by conscious watering down of the material. you have to stay with the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I've watched and collected every incarnation of the show. i'm not for them sprinkling in f-bombs just because they can. but I think they should be pushing boundaries. past episodes have been hurt by conscious watering down of the material. you have to stay with the times.
    Just going by "The Comedian," nothing would have been lost (in my mind) if they had toned down the profanity. At the very least they could have dropped the crude references.

And I get what you're saying about 'staying with times,' but given that the original TZ has been loved by multiple generations, I don't think cursing was ever a factor to its continued relevance. And I have no problem with mature content, but we already have multiple shows that cover that market. So really there's more danger in TZ getting lost in the times than keeping up with them. Virtually every creator and actor involved in the show has gushed about how much they loved the show as a child.

Just going by "The Comedian," nothing would have been lost (in my mind) if they had toned down the profanity. At the very least they could have dropped the crude references.

And I get what you're saying about 'staying with times,' but given that the original TZ has been loved by multiple generations, I don't think cursing was ever a factor to its continued relevance. And I have no problem with mature content, but we already have multiple shows that cover that market. So really there's more danger in TZ getting lost in the times than keeping up with them. Virtually every creator and actor involved in the show has gushed about how much they loved the show as a child.
    I don't have a dog in this fight. all I care about is the quality of the episodes. the Comedian wasn't very strong material. I hope there's a silver lining to this. even the 80s version of the show had some memorable episodes (although a lot of it was disposable).

I don't have a dog in this fight. all I care about is the quality of the episodes. the Comedian wasn't very strong material. I hope there's a silver lining to this. even the 80s version of the show had some memorable episodes (although a lot of it was disposable).
    Did you watch "Nightmare at 30,000 Feet"? It was much stronger than "The Comedian," though to be honest, I liked that one well enough too. If they had just shaved the run time down closer to twenty five minutes it would have been a lot better.

Did you watch "Nightmare at 30,000 Feet"? It was much stronger than "The Comedian," though to be honest, I liked that one well enough too. If they had just shaved the run time down closer to twenty five minutes it would have been a lot better.
    I've only seen the free preview on YouTube so far. I think they should have led with 'Nightmare.' But I understand that there's a free trial of CBS All Access.

I liked The Comedian. Not sure why it’s getting dragged so much.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Yeah, I thought it was solid enough if a little predictable but so were a lot of the originals too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    for me, it's having to pay for something extra to see a series that leads with The Comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, I thought it was solid enough if a little predictable but so were a lot of the originals too.
    were they or does it just seem that way now because they established that storytelling structure? the first time that I saw the ventriloquist dummy episode, I did not expect the ventriloquist and the dummy to switch places. I didn't predict the ending of To Serve Man. but I can predict the ending of more recent stories because I watched those originals.

were they or does it just seem that way now because they established that storytelling structure? the first time that I saw the ventriloquist dummy episode, I did not expect the ventriloquist and the dummy to switch places. I didn't predict the ending of To Serve Man. but I can predict the ending of more recent stories because I watched those originals.
    Hard to say. I watched most of the original series in reruns as a kid, so my expectations were different.

I think it's fine even if you see the twist coming as long as there's an emotional stake in the protagonist's fate, which I felt there was in "The Comedian."

Hard to say. I watched most of the original series in reruns as a kid, so my expectations were different.

I think it's fine even if you see the twist coming as long as there's an emotional stake in the protagonist's fate, which I felt there was in "The Comedian."
    I still think it was a mistake to have the nephew disappear so soon in the story. accidental or not, I had a hard time caring what happened to the guy after that.