Default Captain Ultra: Funny Version or Serious Version?

Ah captain ultra. Been more or less a gag hero for years. Then in iron in the CW they rebooted him into a great and serious hero! They dumped the green outfit and made him no longer a joke. That was a big feat!

Then a few months later bendis turned him right back into the joke hero he was before ignoring iron man and putting him into a worse green outfit that people thought was a girl from the way it looked!

So what version did you like? The gag captain ultra or the serious version? Would you like the version from CW back or just leave him the gag version? If they use the iron man version he could really be good in a team book. What do you guys think?

Honestly I liked the gag version better. Both version were jokes, but the gag version at least was supposed to be a joke. He was actually kinda funny. The serious version was just kinda sad.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

I'd prefer a balance, you can be funny without being too slapsticky. I'd prefer the humor to be based around wordplay seeing as Captain Ultra was a stand up comic before becoming a superhero, Steven Wright/Mitch Hedberg/Jimmy Carr type of stuff or how Norm MacDonald likes to play around with joke structure, or Groucho Marx type wit, or the "Samsonite" and the "Pull over/pullover" jokes in Dumb and Dumber, those types of comedy would work best as they are more universal and don't rely on physical comedy, that way he can be funny without it being over played and have him not be seen as a "Hey there I'm Mr. Goofy!" type.

On a related note: Scott Lobdell used to be a stand up comic and I know wrote at least one Captain Ultra appearance (and was interviewed about it way back when in the early 90's) which I think is interesting.

I've seen him outside of costume. there's no point in trying to make him serious. it would be missing the point.

I think he'd work best living right in the middle. The same tone as JLI - there were plenty of laughs, but there were still moments of real humanity. The guy has a deathly fear of fire but wants to be a hero. There's something identifiably human and damaged about him.