• Voyager

2 3.23%
  • Enterprise

1 1.61%
  • ST: Discovery

4 6.45%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Your favorite Star Trek TV Series

What is your favorite Star Trek show and why?

I like most of them. Still haven't seen Discovery and Enterprise, but so far my fave is the original series from the 60s because it is what started it all and set the tone and did the main world-building. It also gave us Kirk, Spock and Bones, and so much more. It's close though, all the other series like TNG and DS9 were great, and I also really enjoyed Voyager. But my Captain Kirk is Shatner and Nimoy is my Spock.

Note: It's the Next Generation not the New Generation. sorry for the typo.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 04-01-2019 at 06:02 PM.

It's the Next Generation not the New Generation
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

I had to go with DS9 although I have a great love for the original and the Next Generation. I liked Enterprise especially in the last two seasons sadly after most people stopped watching. Voyager wasn't a favorite but I still liked it. I haven't seen Discovery.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    It's the Next Generation not the New Generation
    You are correct, I don't know what happened to me lol. Forgive my mistake/typo.

NextGen, but the original series is an extremely close second.

(FIY, the poll forgot the animated series.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Next Generation and Voyager. Both of these are my favourite installments.
    DS9 was an awesome new addition (quite dark for all those Discovery haters). Sadly the first season was kind of dull. Season 3 onwards transform it into an awesome space war drama.
    Enterprise had potential but they didn't let it reach it.
    TOS was basically Kirk's hormones running wild, IN SPAAAAACE. Only the movies i like.
    As for Discovery, i must see it in it's entirety before making my mind.

Empty is thy hand!

DS9. I would usually cherry-pick episodes from the other shows, but I can watch DS9 in long-playing chunks.

Next Generation. And that's not even close.

Retired

TOS is the best for me, because I know every story so well. I've rewatched the original series several times in my life--and I watched it when it first aired. I'm watching it again on Saturdays now and I just find Shatner and Nimoy are great actors. The parodies of Kirk don't do him justice. There's a great range in the kind of stories they handled and they adjust their acting to fit the demands of the script.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    TOS is the best for me, because I know every story so well. I've rewatched the original series several times in my life--and I watched it when it first aired. I'm watching it again on Saturdays now and I just find Shatner and Nimoy are great actors. The parodies of Kirk don't do him justice. There's a great range in the kind of stories they handled and they adjust their acting to fit the demands of the script.
    I personally think that Shatner over-acted a lot sometimes in the show.. it's why people make fun of him all the time. But there were times when he was fine and showed why he was chosen as the leader of this crew. The cast definitely always had chemistry.

I find Shatner's acting a lot better in the movies. He was awesome. One of the things I love about the Original Series crew is the character development the main cast got from the show and into the movies. We saw them age and grow together, and also have wonderful chemistry. Plus IMO, they had the best film series. It's one of the main reasons why TOS is my fave crew.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 04-02-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Niffleheim

DS9 simply for the rich well rounded ensemble of characters, the religion aspects in the stories and the serialized story telling. My second would be TNG - I find it very rewatchable and I'm currently starting over rewatching DS9. Voyager is my least favourite but i still enjoy it and I haven't yet watched the Original, Enterprise and Discovery (I did start but stopped watching when I saw the LIBERTIES they took with my Klingons)
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-02-2019 at 12:55 PM.

NextGen.

But I kinda wanna see NewGen now!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Boisterously Confused

By a very narrow margin, TOS. Particularly in the first two seasons, before ST started to get hogtied by its own tropes.

Next Gen is my runner up, and loses out only because a) TOS laid all the foundations, and b) it abandoned the consequences and limitations of some of its original concept of having entire families aboard the ship by S3.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

The Original Series, and Discovery are so far the only series I've been able to enjoy. I'm going to give Discovery the vote, I have a feeling I would struggle to pay attention to TOS if I had to watch it weekly as it first aired. But I'm enjoying how Discovery paces itself weekly.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I personally think that Shatner over-acted a lot sometimes in the show.. it's why people make fun of him all the time. But there were times when he was fine and showed why he was chosen as the leader of this crew. The cast definitely always had chemistry.

I find Shatner's acting a lot better in the movies. He was awesome. One of the things I love about the Original Series crew is the character development the main cast got from the show and into the movies. We saw them age and grow together, and also have wonderful chemistry. Plus IMO, they had the best film series. It's one of the main reasons why TOS is my fave crew.
    Shatner was a trained actor who performed Shakespeare with some of the greatest actors of his generation. If Shatner chewed the scenery in certain episodes, it was because that's what the scene called for him to do. He could just as easily dial it back, if that's what he was asked to do. But he understood what he was getting paid for. And I think we wanted bigger acting choices in the 1960s--you really had to sell the emotions back in those days.

I recently watched "A Piece of the Action"--one of my favourite episodes--and it's wonderful how Kirk and Spock get into the groove of the thing. Once they understand the lay of the land, they really sell their performance as Wiseguys. Shatner and Nimoy would have known that this episode was supposed to be funny--and have people rolling on the floor laughing (an accurate description of my reaction as a little kid)--so they gave their scenes just the right note.

And the original series was more theatrical than any of the other shows. They had cheap sets, costumes and make-up and few effects. So it was mainly just acting on a stage, like a filmed play. In fact, "Spectre of the Gun" is very much that.

Of the movies, I think I liked THE VOYAGE HOME a little more than THE WRATH OF KAHN--just because it was funny. But the problem that the movies have (which continues with the Next Generation movies) is trying to squeeze all those actors into a two hour story and give them all enough screen time. It can't be done.