29 46.77%
  • Voyager

2 3.23%
  • Enterprise

1 1.61%
  • ST: Discovery

4 6.45%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Had to go with DS9. It's all about the Sisco.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

TOS. The chemistry between Kirk, Spock and McCoy has never been equaled.

I'm also a fan of TNG. I never got around to watching DS9, Voyager or Enterprise. Someday. And I've enjoyed Discovery.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    TNG, easily. I love TOS too, though.

I haven't seen enough of DS9 to have an opinion on it.
    I'd recommend checking it out. It does start slowly, but the middle seasons are among the best Trek stories ever told.

DS9 is the winner so far. I heard they wanted to make a big screen movie with that crew but nothing happened not sure why.

Nice to see the original series is still appreciated. Like it or not, it's the the most iconic and important one. I think it helps that the movies in general were a great continuation of the show and characters. It felt like a great evolution. God I love them so much.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    DS9 is the winner so far. I heard they wanted to make a big screen movie with that crew but nothing happened not sure why.

Nice to see the original series is still appreciated. Like it or not, it's the the most iconic and important one. I think it helps that the movies in general were a great continuation of the show and characters. It felt like a great evolution. God I love them so much.
    TOS films are the peak ST experience IMO, and they ended on such a strong note.

"If I were human, I suppose my response would be, 'Go to hell.' If I were human."

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post

"If I were human, I suppose my response would be, 'Go to hell.' If I were human."

I think TNG and DS9 also offered great Trek honestly, and First Contact was a really good Trek movie. But Wrath of Khan is still my favorite film so.

They also sort of cemented Trek's "look" I think visually (Although TNG and it's spinoffs largely returned to the color-coded uniforms, although with gold and red flipped). The Klingon redesign is of course the most notable example, but As late as VOY a lot of the sets were pretty much re-used TMP sets. Engineering, the corridors, sickbay, transporters and many of the quarters, just with different lighting and props.

Funny thing is this becomes even more noticable in the TOS films after TNG debuted, where I think they had less time and money to re-dress the sets. V's corridors are pretty much identical to TNG, as is VI's engineering room, but Nick Meyer seemed clever enough to not show a lot of it to "hide" that fact.

The Bridge of the refit seen in I-III (and also in IV's end although the A's Bridge were redesigned in V and VI) also served as the battle bridge and various other Federation starship bridges.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

For me the OS, is iconic and is the foundation, TNG for me was better still because from a child's point of view (which I was when I watched the OS, if you didn't get to be Kirk, Spock and sometimes Bones you were screwed) meaning the shows were about the 2.5 main characters 99% of the time. You can have a DVD full of episodes spotlighting everyone from Picard to Wesley. Hell Worf and Data might require multiple DVD's. The show had dozens of fleshed out multidimensional characters (acknowledging the fact they had more seasons to do more character building. While TNG is my 2nd favorite, DS9 is #1 because on top of everything that made TNG great, DS9 was told in the manner I like most. I like sequential story telling, you need to have seen the last episode to understand the next. Most of the time even with TNG it would just be the episode of the week, last week a Worf, this week Data, next week Troi. On DS9 the Dominion plot from last week is expounded on this week. It made missing episodes perilous but the payoff more enjoyable. There was also a Lord of the Rings mentality to it. In Bilbo's arc the ring is just a trinket that makes you invisible nothing more, useful but not too consequential. Later on it takes on the ultimate importance. In DS9 Odo is just a weird shape shifting alien the last of his kind, unique but nothing more. By the end he is a member of a universal dominating race. DS9 ranks right up there with Babylon 5 and GoT as the best genre TV ever imo.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    They also sort of cemented Trek's "look" I think visually (Although TNG and it's spinoffs largely returned to the color-coded uniforms, although with gold and red flipped). The Klingon redesign is of course the most notable example, but As late as VOY a lot of the sets were pretty much re-used TMP sets. Engineering, the corridors, sickbay, transporters and many of the quarters, just with different lighting and props.

Funny thing is this becomes even more noticable in the TOS films after TNG debuted, where I think they had less time and money to re-dress the sets. V's corridors are pretty much identical to TNG, as is VI's engineering room, but Nick Meyer seemed clever enough to not show a lot of it to "hide" that fact.

The Bridge of the refit seen in I-III (and also in IV's end although the A's Bridge were redesigned in V and VI) also served as the battle bridge and various other Federation starship bridges.
    Agreed. I've also heard about how they reused existing sets in movies to save $.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    For me the OS, is iconic and is the foundation, TNG for me was better still because from a child's point of view (which I was when I watched the OS, if you didn't get to be Kirk, Spock and sometimes Bones you were screwed) meaning the shows were about the 2.5 main characters 99% of the time. You can have a DVD full of episodes spotlighting everyone from Picard to Wesley. Hell Worf and Data might require multiple DVD's. The show had dozens of fleshed out multidimensional characters (acknowledging the fact they had more seasons to do more character building. While TNG is my 2nd favorite, DS9 is #1 because on top of everything that made TNG great, DS9 was told in the manner I like most. I like sequential story telling, you need to have seen the last episode to understand the next. Most of the time even with TNG it would just be the episode of the week, last week a Worf, this week Data, next week Troi. On DS9 the Dominion plot from last week is expounded on this week. It made missing episodes perilous but the payoff more enjoyable. There was also a Lord of the Rings mentality to it. In Bilbo's arc the ring is just a trinket that makes you invisible nothing more, useful but not too consequential. Later on it takes on the ultimate importance. In DS9 Odo is just a weird shape shifting alien the last of his kind, unique but nothing more. By the end he is a member of a universal dominating race. DS9 ranks right up there with Babylon 5 and GoT as the best genre TV ever imo.
    this is true, and one of the things that TNG and on did better than the original series, which focused mostly on the big 3, especially Kirk and Spock. I guess it was a product of its time. I know some original cast members like Takei have complained how Shatner wanted to dominate everything in the show and didn't allow much to other actors to also shine. At least the movies did a better job, I think.

I think TNG and DS9 also offered great Trek honestly, and First Contact was a really good Trek movie. But Wrath of Khan is still my favorite film so.
    I haven't seen enough of DS9 to comment, as it fell during a busier time in my life. I intend to watch DS9 all the way through at some point, and I suspect I'll love it.

I don't think that any one Trek series encompasses everything I love about the franchise, but there's something about the character development and cast chemistry in the original that's never been matched IMO.

TWOK is my favorite Trek film as well. I can watch STII, IV and VI over and over. First Contact, too.

this is true, and one of the things that TNG and on did better than the original series, which focused mostly on the big 3, especially Kirk and Spock. I guess it was a product of its time. I know some original cast members like Takei have complained how Shatner wanted to dominate everything in the show and didn't allow much to other actors to also shine. At least the movies did a better job, I think.
    I love the entire cast of TOS, but I don't consider the heavier focus on Kirk, Spock and McCoy a flaw. Their chemistry is magic.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The strongest series overall is DS9. The characters actual grow as the series goes alone. The Sisco at the end of the series is a very different man than the one he was at the start. The same goes for most of the DS9 cast. Compare that to say Picard on Next Gen or Janway on Voyager and there characters didn't really change at all from the first episode to the last. Everyone on Next Gen was just a little too "perfect". They were all model Starfleet officers from start to finish with no real growth in their characters with the exception of Worf. Worf was really the only Next Gen character that grew and changed. The rest were pretty boring alot of the time.

To me Next Gen felt like "Frasier in Space" a lot of the time with everyone drinking tea and listening to opera. DS9 felt like you were watching real people.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The strongest series overall is DS9. The characters actual grow as the series goes alone. The Sisco at the end of the series is a very different man than the one he was at the start. The same goes for most of the DS9 cast. Compare that to say Picard on Next Gen or Janway on Voyager and there characters didn't really change at all from the first episode to the last. Everyone on Next Gen was just a little too "perfect". They were all model Starfleet officers from start to finish with no real growth in their characters with the exception of Worf. Worf was really the only Next Gen character that grew and changed. The rest were pretty boring alot of the time.

To me Next Gen felt like "Frasier in Space" a lot of the time with everyone drinking tea and listening to opera. DS9 felt like you were watching real people.
    Of course, then we got Frasier in Space:

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post

Star Trek 2 and 6 are definitely peak Trek. They had the same great director, so it figures.

I think the Best of Both Worlds is the best episode of any Star Trek show, but TOS and Deep Space 9 are much more consistently good and have better characters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post

Mostly agree. The problem with Gene's 'humans are so perfect now' philosophy in the TNG era is that it doesn't make for good stories or characters. Later on they got past that somewhat, with plot-lines like Riker's feeling that he lost his drive in Best of Both Worlds to the reveal that Picard was once much more like Kirk and needed that rebellious streak to become who he was. As for Voyager, they really didn't put much thought into keeping continuity between episodes, let alone character development for an entire cast over multiple seasons.