Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Legacy hero

May characters have created legacies. Be they sidekicks, characters who carry there mantle after "death" or are other universe version who stick around

Off the top of my head

Hank Pym - Wasp (jan), Wasp (Nadia), Ant man, Black Ant, Giant Man, Goliath(s), Stinger (Cassie), reprogrammed Doombot Via Ultron Vison, Victor, Joquasta, Vivian

Hulk - She Hulk, Skar, Hulkling (kinda sorta) Doc Sampson, Brawn, Red Hulks

Captain Marvel -Carol Danvers, No-Varr, Gen Vell MAybe Monica but she has only the name in common.

Cap- Bucky, Winter Soldier, US Agent, Falc Cap, Bucky Cap, Patriot (sort of might be more a legacy of his grandfther) Nomad(s)

Spiderman Parker - Spiderman Miles, Spidergwen, Prowler, Venom, Scarlet Spiders, Superior Spiderman

Iron Man War Machine, Rescue, Iron Heart, Iron Patriot

Wolverine, X-23, Old man Logan, Darken

I am sure I missed many many others so post em if you got em
    Last edited by pageturner; 04-02-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Janice Beetle. Q u e e n.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Johnny Storm as Human Torch II (which we forget).

Scott Lang has taken over Hank completely as Ant-Man now. So that's impressive.

Miles Morales, who bought Oscar gold.

X-23, from X-Men Evolution to Logan.

Beta Ray Bill and Jane Thor

Kid Loki over Prime Loki

Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel. And Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel.

Katie-Kate Bishop as Hawkeye.

EDIT: Agree with Snoop about Janice Beetle.

Forgot Thor he has had a few.

Johnny is not really a legacy. Like Monica he just uses the same name with no real connection to there original.

Kate is a good call as is the new powerman but I was thinking of the ones with longer lists.

Johnny deliberately named himself after Jim. If he's not a legacy hero, with the same powers, then neither is Kamala Khan, who doesn't have the same powers as Carol Danvers but also named herself after her. Does that make sense? No, it doesn't does it? They both are legacies.

Hank may have created Ultron, meaning the synthezoids are part of his family, but I wouldn't call them his legacy heroes. Viv is a legacy to Vision, but Vision isn't a legacy to Hank (Vision's still a legacy hero though - there was a golden age alien character with that mantle). Wasp is it's own legacy too. Janet was originally his sidekick, not his replacement.

Patriot is a twofer, as there was a golden age Patriot. Pageturner, I agree that Eli would also be considered a legacy to Isaiah Bradley. The current Patriot, Rayshaun Lucas, is Sam Wilson's sidekick, and therefore one of his two legacy heroes (his other sidekick the new Falcon being his other one).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-02-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Monica Rambeau. Of course, the first female Captain Marvel. She's great as well, and I hope that eventually they bring her and make her the new Captain Marvel or Photon.

Helmut Zemo is the best legacy hero.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mayday. . .

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Miles Morales as Spider-Man, Kate Bishop as Hawkeye, Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel and Laura Kinney as Wolverine are the first few who come to mind. They've all demonstrated the ability to carry their own books for lengths of time comparable to their predecessors*, and have some solid stories to their name.

*Before anybody "Um, actuallies" this: Miles clearly hasn't had the time to make up the gap between his comics, and Peter's but he's gonna get to those numbers one day. Neither Hawkeye can support their own book for long. Kamala is doing better than Carol was at this point in their existence. Finally in this day, and age 30+ uninterrupted issues is impressive even for Wolverine nowadays.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 04-02-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I'll go with Captain Marvel. I think she's the only legit legacy hero in marvel to flat out surpass the original.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'll go with Captain Marvel. I think she's the only legit legacy hero in marvel to flat out surpass the original.
    Johnny Storm did it too. Arguably Scott Lang and Janet with Hank.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    True, she definitely did surpass her predecessor. Mar-Vell's biggest claim to fame is that he got permanently killed off. Not anything he did while active. Carol wasn't A list until recently, but she was always more successful than Mar-Vell.

She's not the only one though. Silver Age Torch is definitely more popular than Golden Age Torch! After all, Johnny's always in use somewhere - unlike Jim, who has many periods out of the limelight.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-02-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    True. Mar-Vell's biggest claim to fame is that he got permanently killed off. Not anything he did while active. Carol wasn't A list until recently, but she was always more successful than Mar-Vell.
    They only ever kept Mar-Vell in print to make sure Billy Batson never got his name back. I actually do prefer Monica Rambeau to Carol Danvers, but Kelly Sue DeConnick's take on her is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Johnny deliberately named himself after Jim. If he's not a legacy hero, with the same powers, then neither is Kamala Khan, who doesn't have the same powers as Carol Danvers but also named herself after her. Does that make sense? No, it doesn't does it? They both are legacies.

Hank may have created Ultron, meaning the synthezoids are part of his family, but I wouldn't call them his legacy heroes. Viv is a legacy to Vision, but Vision isn't a legacy to Hank (Vision's still a legacy hero though - there was a golden age alien character with that mantle). Wasp is it's own legacy too. Janet was originally his sidekick, not his replacement.

Patriot is a twofer, as there was a golden age Patriot. Pageturner, I agree that Eli would also be considered a legacy to Isaiah Bradley. The current Patriot, Rayshaun Lucas, is Sam Wilson's sidekick, and therefore one of his two legacy heroes (his other sidekick the new Falcon being his other one).
    He got the name human torch when he first caught fire when their powers showed up. Even so being a legacy is not just carrying the name. Or I should say to me it is not that. Maybe family tree is more like it.

Jan is a legacy to Hank because he gave her his powers. Several other are his legacy because through various means they got access to his tech and pym Particles. Ultron for good or and mostly for bad is part of his legacy too. As Age of Ultron showed no Hank mean no Vison and all that follows.

I don't consider Ms Marvel or Monica legacies really because there is not connection to the previous user of the name. Their powers and history have no connection. A legacy is more than a name it is being part of something.

I don't tie it to having success in a solo book either. Just sticking around is enough for me. Beta Ray Bill still shows up from time to time that keeps the legacy alive.

I bet the Shazam issue is also one of the reasons why Carol became a superhero - they might have been concerned that Mary Marvel would be rebranded as Miss Marvel (her first name being part of her hero name was all kinds of stupid, though not as bad as the current situation where she lacks a codename at all). Marvel had a thing around that time about getting feminine versions of male codenames trademarked - hence Spider-Woman and She-Hulk.