Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What are some of the most overrated stories in your opinion?

You hear certain stories get brought up a lot that makes you think that they’re great until you actually read it. What are some Marvel Comics that you find overrated?

Maybe they were overhyped or maybe it’s not your taste? What comics can’t you get behind?

Astonishing Member

Death of Jean DeWolff.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Death of Jean DeWolff.
    Is that story really rated highly though?

Seems that the death of Stacys (to keep it inside Spider-Verse) would both overshadow it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Is that story really rated highly though?

Seems that the death of Stacys (to keep it inside Spider-Verse) would both overshadow it.
    It tends to place highly on best of Spidey lists.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    It tends to place highly on best of Spidey lists.
    To be honest, I don’t hear that story come up much at all despite its ramifications.

I though DnA's cosmic stuff (Conquest, War of Kings, etc) was overrated. Not terrible, but overrated.

Giffens Annihilation was a masterpiece, and I thought DnA's cosmic stuff essentially was just riding those coat tails until they completely ran out of steam and it all just fizzled. Not that it was ALL bad... but it just got worse and worse and worse until it ended up being just terrible. Annihilators, their last entry in the series, just flat out sucked. They clearly had ridden the first Annihilation's momentum as far as they could and had nothing left in the end.

Triumph and Torment

Mutant Massacre
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Anything by Jonathan Hickman, but most notable his Fantastic Four/FF run. It was fine albeit unnecessarily convoluted until the Fantastic Four title returned while he was doing FF, and both titles became nonsense in isolation. That kind of set up what his Avengers would be.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I though DnA's cosmic stuff (Conquest, War of Kings, etc) was overrated. Not terrible, but overrated.

Giffens Annihilation was a masterpiece, and I thought DnA's cosmic stuff essentially was just riding those coat tails until they completely ran out of steam and it all just fizzled. Not that it was ALL bad... but it just got worse and worse and worse until it ended up being just terrible. Annihilators, their last entry in the series, just flat out sucked. They clearly had ridden the first Annihilation's momentum as far as they could and had nothing left in the end.

I agree with this completely. It's all readable, but they got a reputation out of it as being "the cosmic guys!" and I've always thought quietly to myself "yeah, but..."

I actually bailed before Annihilators for the very reason you said, it all got progressively worse.

Winter Soldier. Still the best part of the run, though. And the movie is the GOAT.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

One More Day
    Avenger Dissembled

People got way to worked up over those.

Mark Millar's Wolverine.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Bendis's Avengers run, for sure. From the start it read like a writer who really wanted to do crime stories but knew the big money was writing superheroes, so he got his hands on the biggest property and just kept beating it down until most of the wonder and big concepts that had always been part of the title's run was replaced by street-level antics and ninjas. There's shaking a title up but then there's completely misunderstanding what a title's about and then just going, "Oh, well."

And I echo most of Jonathan Hickman's work. It seems like not much focus on character while there's lots of elaborate structuring in terms of plot devices and story mechanics, which probably interests nobody more than Jonathan Hickman.

And Millar's been a shock-value hack since he got out from under Grant Morrsion. He hasn't written anything genuinely good since his days on Superman Adventures, be it licensed properties or creator-owned work.

I like his Spider-Man run and did enjoy Enemy of the State, i just don't think that his work in Marvel is that great, just acceptable. Ironically, his Superman is awesome.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona