Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default You don't know Jack - the Jack Monroe (Nomad) Appreciation 2019

The original thread (along with quite a few others, I see: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Appreciation) was closed.

I am a huge fan of Jack Monroe/Nomad... Still bummed that he's been bumped off... hopeful, that it's revealed that the super soldier serum kicked in - and he's actually alive... takes up the Scourge ID (like he did in Thunderbolts) and goes after Winter Soldier, so that the two have an even fight.

Coloring I did of the B&W cover I found:
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

How many exnomads are there.

Steve
    Ian
    Jack

any others?

Two others...

Introduced in Captain America #261 (September 1981), the second Nomad was Edward Ferbel, a short-lived character who is given the Nomad costume and equipment by the Red Skull in an effort to discredit Captain America.
    He is killed by an agent of the Skull, the Ameridroid, in Captain America #263 (November 1981).

After the events of the Onslaught Reborn mini-series, a version of Rikki Barnes, the female Bucky established in the Heroes Reborn Captain America series, now resides in the mainstream Marvel Universe, and has befriended the Young Avenger known as Patriot in the hopes of contacting the new Captain America (the original Bucky, now free of his Winter Soldier programming).

In September 2009, Rikki Barnes took on the identity of Nomad in the mini-series, Nomad: Girl Without A World.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Two others...

Introduced in Captain America #261 (September 1981), the second Nomad was Edward Ferbel, a short-lived character who is given the Nomad costume and equipment by the Red Skull in an effort to discredit Captain America.
    He is killed by an agent of the Skull, the Ameridroid, in Captain America #263 (November 1981).

After the events of the Onslaught Reborn mini-series, a version of Rikki Barnes, the female Bucky established in the Heroes Reborn Captain America series, now resides in the mainstream Marvel Universe, and has befriended the Young Avenger known as Patriot in the hopes of contacting the new Captain America (the original Bucky, now free of his Winter Soldier programming).

In September 2009, Rikki Barnes took on the identity of Nomad in the mini-series, Nomad: Girl Without A World.
    Has she been heard from again?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Has she been heard from again?
    Not since the Onslaught Unleashed mini-series, where she sacrificed herself to prevent Onslaught from returning.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Not since the Onslaught Unleashed mini-series, where she sacrificed herself to prevent Onslaught from returning.
    ^ This. Which once again leaves the "Nomad" handle open...

But first I'd love for him to come back as "Scourge" like he did in Thunderbolts, gun for Winter Soldier, have the two of them duke it out - and eventually come to terms with one another. And then he keeps the equipment from his Scourge days, but re-adopts the name "Nomad" and rides off on a motorcycle.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I would love that. The Scourge storyline is my favorite Jack Monroe story.

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    I would love that. The Scourge storyline is my favorite Jack Monroe story.
    The T-Bolts' storyline dealing with the Scourge is my favorite as well. I loved it when Jack became the Scourge.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-12-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

See, this is why I think this would be a great idea. It reintroduces Nomad, it puts him against a major character (especially thanks to the MCU), and lets him leave with everything settled - and leaves him open to be used elsewhere.

#MarvelNeedsToHireMe

BANNED

Captain America #292 Apr 1984
    "An American Christmas!"
    Steve Rogers and Bernie share a romantic moment until Jack Monroe blunders in.

Meanwhile Jesse Black Crow has another vision reminding him that as the spirit of old America,
    he must kill Captain America, the spirit of new America, to balance the scales.
    Weeks later, Steve and Bernie leave Bennett Advertising. Black Crow attacks Steve, steals a lock of his hair, and vanishes.
    In the weeks that follow, Cap attends Avengers meetings, Jack interviews for jobs, and Steve shops with Bernie and works on art assignments.
    On Christmas Eve, Steve and Bernie throw a holiday party until a crow flies in and scratches Steve.
    Cap and Nomad investigate and Bernie follows.
    Black Crow attacks the heroes,

quickly defeating them at the Brooklyn Bridge.
    As Black Crow prepares to kill Cap, the Avenger kneels in respect.
    Laughing, Black Crow announces that the earth spirit is pleased and departs in peace.
    Elated that Cap survived, Bernie proposes marriage.
    Days later in Central Park,

the Avengers vanish in a flash of light!
    Cameo appearances by Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, Starfox, Thor, Scarlet Witch, Vision and the Wasp.

Story by J.M. DeMatteis. Art by Paul Neary and Ed Baretto.

Heh - the first two images make sense - Nomad had nothing to do with Secret Wars though.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    How many exnomads are there.

Steve
    Ian
    Jack

any others?
    Rikki Barnes.

And I really think they did Jack wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    And I really think they did Jack wrong.
    Me too. I am looking forward to someone undoing it...

BANNED

Captain America #293 May 1984
    "Field Of Vision!"
    Mother Superior shows Baron Zemo a simulation of mankind's bloody history to prepare him for her father's schemes.
    In Virginia, Captain America visits old friend Dave Cox and his family.
    Meanwhile, Red Skull interrupts a sparring session between Zemo and Mother Superior, and then assaults Zemo for questioning him.
    Dave dissuades Cap's fears that marrying Bernie would disrespect Sharon Carter's memory.
    Once Cap departs, Mother Superior abducts Dave and brainwashes him into rejecting his pacifistic ideals.

The next night, Cap and Nomad discuss Cap's experiences on Battleworld, Bernie's
    proposal and Dave's pacifism, the latter of which Nomad dismisses as cow;

The pair intervene in an armed robbery, but Cap angrily and publicly admonishes Nomad for using excessive force.
    Nomad storms off and Cap follows, only to find Nomad barely conscious on a nearby fire escape.
    A costumed and bloodthirsty Dave Cox, calling himself the Slayer, attacks Cap.
    Though the heroes initially fend him off, the Slayer knocks Cap out with his mace,

leaving Nomad to face the Slayer alone.

Story by J.M. DeMatteis. Art by Paul Neary and Ed Baretto.

BANNED

Captain America #294 Jun 1984
    "The Measure of a Man!"
    As Nomad battles the Slayer,

Captain America awakens to find himself trapped inside Mother Superior's force field.
    The Slayer defeats Nomad, but Dave Cox's true personality re-emerges and prevents him from delivering a fatal blow.
    Mother Superior psionically attacks him for his disobedience, rendering him unconscious, and then escapes.
    Later at a nearby hospital,

Dave's wife Julie tearfully tells the two heroes that Dave may have suffered fatal nerve damage.

At Skull-House Mother Superior introduces Zemo to her disciples, the Sisters of Sin,
    unaware that Red Skull watches them via a video linkup in his bedchamber. S
    teve Rogers tells Bernie that he can't marry her, fearing that his enemies may attack him through her.
    Bernie refuses to accept that or the idea that super heroes have the monopoly on risk.
    Bernie's words and a few persistent kisses convince Steve to say yes, but their elation is
    horrifically cut short by the arrival of a package containing a miniature of the Red Skull's mask.

Story by J.M. DeMatteis. Art by Paul Neary and Josef Rubinstein.