Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    lordthorgorath

My personal thoughts on "Joker" - good, but not great. HOWEVER....that's mostly on the producers and NOT Phillips.

I know, deep down, this thing is a cinematic masterpiece. Todd Phillips said this movie was originally 2 1/2 hours, but had
    to have it trimmed WAY down for the theatrical run - which included a **** ton of important, vital content to the story.

It's ok if you're fine with the theatrical cut, but one must also show respect for those that found issues
    On that note, I bring to you a petition to release the original DX of "Joker"

Go here to sign my petition, regardless of whether you are 100% satisfied with the film or not.
    Release The Original 2 1/2 Hour Director's Cut Of "Joker (2019)"
    ALL artistic freedom/integrity must be preserved and held sacred.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    To borrow is one thing.

To essentially push a cookie cutter that another film created down onto a new film is a whole other thing.

While I am a pretty big fan of Walter Hill and the Bruce Willis performance is pretty solid(never mind the Ry Cooder soundtrack), there is a perfectly good reason why no one talks about Last Man Standing the same way that they talk about Yojimbo.
    Except having seen Taxi Driver, King of Comedy, Fight Club and now Joker there are major differences in each character. Sure there are common themes, but each character responds to their situation in a different way.
    It's how this character responds to what life throws at him that makes Joker worth watching. Then for the fun of it, compare that to how these other characters reacted to their situation. Plus for Batman fans there
    are the Easter Eggs. Not saying you should see a movie just for the Easter Eggs. But they do help establish that this movie does indeed take place in Batman's world and isn't just about some random lunatic that
    they slapped the name Joker on.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    I have personally read a few origins of the Joker and I am just tired of the idea. My favorites are Mask of Phantasm, Killing Joke, and Going Sane. I am just ready for a different story. I think the new Joker is great for a new generation or people that are interested in hearing a new twist. Just not me.
    I like the idea the Joker has multiple origins but no one knows what is the truth. People who have seen the movie will know what I mean.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lordthorgorath View Post
    My personal thoughts on "Joker" - good, but not great. HOWEVER....that's mostly on the producers and NOT Phillips.

I know, deep down, this thing is a cinematic masterpiece. Todd Phillips said this movie was originally 2 1/2 hours, but had
    to have it trimmed WAY down for the theatrical run - which included a **** ton of important, vital content to the story.

It's ok if you're fine with the theatrical cut, but one must also show respect for those that found issues
    On that note, I bring to you a petition to release the original DX of "Joker"

Go here to sign my petition, regardless of whether you are 100% satisfied with the film or not.
    Release The Original 2 1/2 Hour Director's Cut Of "Joker (2019)"
    ALL artistic freedom/integrity must be preserved and held sacred.
    You can tell a lot of stuff was cut out because the film does a lot of telling and not showing, and the whole conflict and uprising happens way too fast to feel real. I wanted more after watching it, and not in the good way. It feels kinda empty.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Joker is now the highest grossing R-Rated movie ever.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...enom-dc-films/
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...enom-dc-films/[/QUOTE]

In real dollars, The Exorcist owns the record by quite a lot. Still, The Joker has the honor for the biggest box office grosses for a CB film, so that's certainly something.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Joker is now the highest grossing R-Rated movie ever.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...enom-dc-films/
    Yeah... Deadpool congratulated Joaquin for his work.

Saw this yesterday I liked it but it wasn't as great as I was expecting. Mostly it just made me wanna watch King of Comedy.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    In real dollars, The Exorcist owns the record by quite a lot. Still, The Joker has the honor for the biggest box office grosses for a CB film, so that's certainly something. [/QUOTE]

What do you mean by "real" dollars?
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    What do you mean by "real" dollars?
    Adjusted for inflation.

How is inflation calculated? I'm curious about this.
    “To the future or to the past. To a time when thought is free, when men are different from one another and do not live alone - to a time when truth exists and what is done cannot be undone: from the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!" - Winston Smith

How is inflation calculated? I'm curious about this.
    The change in how much money it takes to buy something. Say an average movie ticket cost $2 in a certain year but now that movie ticket costs $12. Six times as much. So a movie that made $50 million that year
    would make the equivalent of $300 million now.

So it makes more sense to count number of tickets sold to get a metric on the popularity of a given movie then?

So it makes more sense to count number of tickets sold to get a metric on the popularity of a given movie then?
    The problem with that is that the latest films will always have more tickets sold on average due to increases in the population. It's like when a presidential winner crows about having the most votes ever, when that's almost always the case.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The problem with that is that the latest films will always have more tickets sold on average due to increases in the population. It's like when a presidential winner crows about having the most votes ever, when that's almost always the case.
    Can we please not mention any presidential winners?

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    Can we please not mention any presidential winners?
    Seconded! My intention was not to start a political food fight, especially when both sides are equally guilty when it comes to that.