Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

My two cents:

1. Ignore Reviews: These were the ones that said The Last Jedi was a Masterpiece. You all know what you like. If it looks good to you, give it a chance.

2. My Opinion: Phoenix is the most underrated actor. Personally, I think the acting and the movie is going to be phenomenal

3. My Problems: All of Batmans Rogues has some sort of sympathetic element to their origin. Except one. I prefer Joker to be a chaotic and purely evil person. This movie is definitely bringing him up as sympathetic. Gotham City made this bed and The Joker is the villain it deserves. This reminds me of the too much of the Gotham Knights Story.

Overall: It will be a good movie but not the story I'd want.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 09-03-2019 at 03:10 PM.

I'm surprised that the reviews have already been officially released, and it's a month until the film comes out. Just seems extremely odd. Especially with many reviews containing spoilers.

Oh well. This isn't set up for a sequel, presumably. I wonder how much the film sets up the future of the Wayne family members.

Retired

I'm put off by the exaggerated sense of ownership that some people have, where they insist the Joker is this and only this and if you don't stick to this, then that's not the Joker. It's not their Joker, but this definition is specific to a certain iteration of Batman that some want to make the only possible Batman.

If I was going to indulge my sense of ownership, then I'd be blowing my top over the fact that my Joker and my Batman doesn't exist anymore. My Joker is the Joker from the summer of 1942 to the winter of 1969. That's 27 years of a Joker that doesn't kill, a Joker that is mainly interested in embarassing Batman and Robin, a Joker that is more of a performance artist than a dangerous felon.

If I can restrain myself and accept all these contrary comics, movies and TV shows--then surely others can do the same.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

My reaction to the trailer:

Really looks like a rehash remix of Taxi Driver & The King of Comedy......which would be supremely DISAPPOINTING if that's what it merely is.

How terrible would it be to waste Joaquin Phoenix's talent on a derivative rip off script? I hope this is not the plan ("Hey, young people haven't seen Taxi Driver or King of Comedy, so let's serve them those") or the case.

It's fine for Todd to be inspired by these two Scorcese films, but it's a whole other thing to lazily just do Joker in a rehash mix of them.

No level of Joaquin Phoenix's performance will save this movie for me if it's some unoriginal rehash.

So the trailer created a bad perception for me. I hope this perception proves wrong.

I may not see it in the theater, I am not supporting films just by purchasing a ticket anymore...that's what they want & I won't play along.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-03-2019 at 05:47 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm put off by the exaggerated sense of ownership that some people have, where they insist the Joker is this and only this and if you don't stick to this, then that's not the Joker. It's not their Joker, but this definition is specific to a certain iteration of Batman that some want to make the only possible Batman.

If I was going to indulge my sense of ownership, then I'd be blowing my top over the fact that my Joker and my Batman doesn't exist anymore. My Joker is the Joker from the summer of 1942 to the winter of 1969. That's 27 years of a Joker that doesn't kill, a Joker that is mainly interested in embarassing Batman and Robin, a Joker that is more of a performance artist than a dangerous felon.

If I can restrain myself and accept all these contrary comics, movies and TV shows--then surely others can do the same.
    I'm of the same mind as you, Jim. Instead of insisting upon the "classic" (whatever that means) version of a character, I just imagine it's a different universe and get on with my life.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Joker won the top prize, the Golden Lion Award at the Venice Film Festival!

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Joker won the top prize, the Golden Lion Award at the Venice Film Festival!
    this is huge
    it puts Joker on Best Movie nominee territory

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    this is huge
    it puts Joker on Best Movie nominee territory
    Definitely.

Astonishing Member

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

I trust Phoenix and his choices in roles, so he will do a marvelous job as Arthur, but i feel this movie capitalise on Joker's power as a brand to attract viewers. This film, judging from trailers and the leaked script, looks like a modernisation/adaptation of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy or "what if the Joker was Travis Bickle and Rupert Pupkin rolled into one". It would be an interesting movie, although i fear that people would overuse Joker's quote from this film to play it sophisticated and deep.

Still, i am eager to see this film purely because i like Phoenix as an actor and Taxi Driver and King of Comedy are some of my top films, so it's a plus for me to go watching this film.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    I trust Phoenix and his choices in roles, so he will do a marvelous job as Arthur, but i feel this movie capitalise on Joker's power as a brand to attract viewers. This film, judging from trailers and the leaked script, looks like a modernisation/adaptation of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy or "what if the Joker was Travis Bickle and Rupert Pupkin rolled into one". It would be an interesting movie, although i fear that people would overuse Joker's quote from this film to play it sophisticated and deep.

Still, i am eager to see this film purely because i like Phoenix as an actor and Taxi Driver and King of Comedy are some of my top films, so it's a plus for me to go watching this film.
    All movies borrow from something else before. Doesn't mean they can't be a good watch. Did Batman 1989 lessen your enjoyment of The Dark Knight? They even had the exact same lead characters. In fact both movies capitalized
    on those characters to tell their stories. So what if Joker borrowed elements of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy? I'm sure there will be different and unique scenes that will differentiate Joker from those movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    All movies borrow from something else before. Doesn't mean they can't be a good watch. Did Batman 1989 lessen your enjoyment of The Dark Knight? They even had the exact same lead characters. In fact both movies capitalized
    on those characters to tell their stories. So what if Joker borrowed elements of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy? I'm sure there will be different and unique scenes that will differentiate Joker from those movies.
    Luckily as someone who has seen neither of those movies, gets Taxi Driver confused with Baby Driver or whatever that movie was called, and thinks King of Comedy sounds like King of Queens just by going off the title, Joker is guaranteed to be completely new to me.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

JOKER Rotten Tomatoes score has fallen to 76%.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    To borrow is one thing.

To essentially push a cookie cutter that another film created down onto a new film is a whole other thing.

While I am a pretty big fan of Walter Hill and the Bruce Willis performance is pretty solid(never mind the Ry Cooder soundtrack), there is a perfectly good reason why no one talks about Last Man Standing the same way that they talk about Yojimbo.

Censorship Sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Why does an origin negate the multiple choice origin? I mean we got an origin in Killing Joke, and yet we still say we don't know what Joker's origin is. I think too many people put to much stock in the whole "no origin" for Joker thing. I say give him ten origins and let the Anti-Monitor sort them all out.
    I have personally read a few origins of the Joker and I am just tired of the idea. My favorites are Mask of Phantasm, Killing Joke, and Going Sane. I am just ready for a different story. I think the new Joker is great for a new generation or people that are interested in hearing a new twist. Just not me.