Mighty Member

Default Batman comics violent?

I'm no prude, love a good Batman action story, but the recent storyline with Alfred being killed and beheaded, seems like something Vertigo would do. Plus A Death in the Family was pretty gruesome with Jason's beatdown and death. Death of the Family with Jokers reconfigured face... I wonder how they were able to get over the comics code, if it still exists....

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I'm no prude, love a good Batman action story, but the recent storyline with Alfred being killed and beheaded, seems like something Vertigo would do. Plus A Death in the Family was pretty gruesome with Jason's beatdown and death. Death of the Family with Jokers reconfigured face... I wonder how they were able to get over the comics code, if it still exists....
    The Comics Code is over since 1985.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Yeah that's what I figured...just wondering what system DC uses to go to the line of PG-13 edginess without tipping over to the hard R level violence with Batman

Yeah that's what I figured...just wondering what system DC uses to go to the line of PG-13 edginess without tipping over to the hard R level violence with Batman
    Well, nudity=bad, but they've been killing kid characters, onscreen (so to speak), since Jason Todd. In often brutal, awful ways. And the prevalence of rape and it being brushed off as well has reared its ugly head quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    That would explain alot, especially with Batman: Legends Of The Dark Knight broke alot of rules and made the series less kid friendly.

Mighty Member

I didn't find it that violent really, though I wasn't happy that they killed everyone's beloved butler off.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I didn't find it that violent really, though I wasn't happy that they killed everyone's beloved butler off.
    I hated that they killed The Bat-ler!
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No on-page sex scene even partially covered. That will get you a T+ rating, like with New 52 Batwoman, or constant on-page sexiness like in New 52 Catwoman.

An on-page penis will get you a Black Label

I'm a bit unclear on the gore. The New 52 Dark Knight has Scarecrow and Batman stitch their mouth bloody in close up, but I guess everything on 90s Mortal Kombat level is still counted as PG-13. That means bloody stabbing, stitching, and dismemberment.

Do we ever see on-page disembowelment? As in straight-up colons pouring out of a stomach? That might be it.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly I find it wired that Batman has just a T rating, while for Example RHatO and Green Arrow have T+. Since Batman is usually way darker.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Honestly I find it wired that Batman has just a T rating, while for Example RHatO and Green Arrow have T+. Since Batman is usually way darker.
    Wait which RHATO? With Starfire or without Starfire? Because I can think of a couple of reasons why it got T+

Also, I think they want to keep Batman at T to get as many audiences as possible

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Wait which RHATO? With Starfire or without Starfire? Because I can think of a couple of reasons why it got T+
    All incarnations.

But I'm european, here violence more important for the ratings than nudity or "strong language".

The villians are more violent or at least it's more shown now then hinted at like it was post TDKR. The average reader is an adult though.

I too was not happy they killed Alfred Da Buttler. Can't wait for him to come back.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I prefer action over violence. I like the idea that Batman saves more people than he doesn't. But I started reading him in the 1960's, so that might explain my viewpoint.