Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Retired

Well yes, there is the vat scene with Jack's character in BATMAN. I remembered that after posting, but didn't want to edit it in, because I felt like I made the point that he initiates the origin of Batman rather than the other way around. And it seems like Joker will initiate a state of affairs in this movie that leads to Batman appearing. So it's on a similar track--and Batman-ish enough for folks to accept it. We've had GOTHAM and PENNYWORTH--so JOKER isn't really going very far out in left field from those.

The more important thing to me is that this movie can open up the range of movies coming from DC. I've always argued that DC offered everything in its 9 decades of history--it goes from absolute giddy goofball humour to stark raving terror. Comic books aren't limited to telling only one kind of story. Comic books can tell every kind of story imagineable. So when we think of a comic book movie, we shouldn't think of only one kind of movie with predictable visuals and plots.

Now DC is using one of its most well-known properties to do that. And maybe that's the only way. ROAD TO PERDITION, A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, THE LOSERS and THE KITCHEN were never big enough to open that door. But hopefully JOKER will. And maybe that will lead to DC trying to do more innovative movies with all its properties.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

The train ride reminds me of YEAR ONE's opening. The Joker as a movement and De Niro parts l already dislike. Looking forward to JPs performance, though.

Retired

One would do well to see THE KING OF COMEDY. If not before JOKER, then after.

BANNED

I know it's an alternate origin. I know it's an Elseworlds story.
    My only concern about the film, at the moment, is just the HUGE age difference between Joker and Bruce Wayne. That leaves no future for them as enemies IMHO.

I mean:

It's 1981.

Bruce is 9 years old.
    Arthur becomes Joker, and he's 45.
    Alfred is 60 years old.

My guess is that - in this world - Batman will meet a new Joker inspired by Arthur Fleck.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    My only concern about the film, at the moment, is just the HUGE age difference between Joker and Bruce Wayne. That leaves no future for them as enemies IMHO.

I mean:

It's 1981.

Bruce is 9 years old.
    Alfred is 60 years old.

My guess is that - in this world - Batman will meet a new Joker inspired by Arthur Fleck.
    Eh, after Gotham I think the foes being older than Bruce is less of a deal. I mean, we're never going to see this version of Joker fighting Batman in a proper movie, seems pretty clear this is a one and done story. Worrying about the age difference between two versions of these characters we'll never see again is nothing more than a mental exercise.

Spectacular Member

Welp, the reactions are in and...

https://t.co/OzvwEXEMXs

I mean:

It's 1981.

Bruce is 9 years old.
    Alfred is 60 years old.

The idea that there is a future for this is one that I wouldn't waste a whole lot of time on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The idea that there is a future for this is one that I wouldn't waste a whole lot of time on.
    I'm not talking about sequels at all. Just the story of this one... I would have made Bruce older, at least 15 or 18.

I'm not talking about sequels at all. Just the story of this one... I would have made Bruce older, at least 15 or 18.
    Without spilling the beans on a specific potential spoiler that I tripped over a little while back, there is probably a very specific reason this did not happen.

Never mind that the film has no duty to make the two of them opponents.

I don’t know, to me this still seems like watching the Joker poop.

Hearing good things about this one but worried it might be one for the Gamerz.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Spectacular Member

This worries me, too:

it’s also the worst-case scenario for the rest of the film world, as it points towards a grim future in which the inmates have taken over the asylum, and even the most repulsive of mid-budget character studies can be massive hits (and Oscar contenders) so long as they’re at least tangentially related to some popular intellectual property. The next “Lost in Translation” will be about Black Widow and Howard Stark spending a weekend together at a Sokovia hotel; the next “Carol” will be an achingly beautiful period drama about young Valkyrie falling in love with a blonde woman she meets in an Asgardian department store.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure none of those possible storylines will remotely appear sometime in the future.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    I feel you’d need a few more successes before anybody can seriously entertain this possibility