Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure none of those possible storylines will remotely appear sometime in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I feel you’d need a few more successes before anybody can seriously entertain this possibility
    Yep...

It seems like either -

- That reviewer has never paid so much as a minute's worth of attention to the way Marvel actually operates out in the real world

or

- The reviewer has, and decided to write a piece that ignores reality anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    This worries me, too:

it’s also the worst-case scenario for the rest of the film world, as it points towards a grim future in which the inmates have taken over the asylum, and even the most repulsive of mid-budget character studies can be massive hits (and Oscar contenders) so long as they’re at least tangentially related to some popular intellectual property. The next “Lost in Translation” will be about Black Widow and Howard Stark spending a weekend together at a Sokovia hotel; the next “Carol” will be an achingly beautiful period drama about young Valkyrie falling in love with a blonde woman she meets in an Asgardian department store.
    I think a little pre-mature but I can't say I disagree with what he's saying. after the success of Logan, I think people are starting to move toward giving these popular properties the Oscar prestige (even tho I think the Oscars and Grammys are obsolete)

as for his review I think this quote is more telling of the movie and is exactly the kind of thing I was worried about when they announced it:

a profoundly dangerous approach to a movie that’s too self-impressed by its own subversiveness to see Arthur as anything but a hero
    and given how defensive some fans are already getting about any negativity to this film, I can already tell I might wanna skip this one.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-01-2019 at 12:13 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

and given how defensive some fans are already getting about any negativity to this film, I can already tell I might wanna skip this one.
    If we are talking about the review mentioned in the thread just earlier?

My personal problem with it is pretty simple.

I strongly suspect that not a single word of it would have changed no matter what the film wound up being.

I don't really have an issue with negative reactions. That said, it's hard not to react to a review where the entire thing looked liked a foregone conclusion.

As for this...

a profoundly dangerous approach to a movie that’s too self-impressed by its own subversiveness to see Arthur as anything but a hero
    Counter point...

- https://www.empireonline.com/movies/reviews/joker/

This could, particularly in the current climate, be viewed as a lament for outsiders and the ignored. That’s too simple and Joker does anything but deliver you easy answers. It’s a sad, chaotic, slow-burn study of someone who isn’t visible; who doesn’t even exist to the world around them. But your empathy, sympathy even, isn’t guaranteed, and it begins to dissolve as Arthur somehow moves even further to the edges.

Retired

I'm for not judging what a movie is going to do until I have a chance to see it. Since I haven't seen it, discussion is pointless--and apt to spoil the movie for me when I do see it.

Censorship Sucks

I have no interest in seeing an origin of Joker. Like he was once said, he likes his origin multiple choice. To those they like this, though, more power to you! Enjoy the flick!

Just watched the trailer.

I have no doubt in Phoenix's acting ability, but can't say I'm terribly interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Hearing good things about this one but worried it might be one for the Gamerz.
    Gamerz? Someone's going to have to explain this to me, who are the Gamerz? I'm assuming by the capital G and the z at the end it's not just people who enjoy playing videogames.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    I have no interest in seeing an origin of Joker. Like he was once said, he likes his origin multiple choice. To those they like this, though, more power to you! Enjoy the flick!
    Why does an origin negate the multiple choice origin? I mean we got an origin in Killing Joke, and yet we still say we don't know what Joker's origin is. I think too many people put to much stock in the whole "no origin" for Joker thing. I say give him ten origins and let the Anti-Monitor sort them all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Gamerz? Someone's going to have to explain this to me, who are the Gamerz? I'm assuming by the capital G and the z at the end it's not just people who enjoy playing videogames.
    https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/gamer...rise-up?full=1

It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Retired

I wonder what the people against this movie want to see instead for the Joker in a Batman movie. If those movies go too close to the Heath Ledger version, people will be comparing and feel like it's disrespectul of Ledger to even try to copy his performance. If they go the other way, we end up with Jared Leto.

In this light, I think JOKER is a stroke of genius, because it gives audiences a time-out, where they can have a Joker that isn't under that kind of pressure to satisfy expectations for the Batman movie universe. So maybe by the time they do introduce a new Joker in the Batman movies, audiences will have let go of these expectations and can just accept that version on its own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by FBarnhill View Post
    I'd watch a movie about a young Valkyrie falling in love with a blonde woman she meets in a store;.

Also, that review sounds like the typical histrionics that hit every DC adaptation these days.

So...a stupid internet meme for gamers who are also addicted to social media?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    So...a stupid internet meme for gamers who are also addicted to social media?
    Yeah but I see enough people who misunderstand and glorify Heath Ledger’s Joker, and I already can see it ramping up for this take too.

This Joker shouldn’t have fans or fan art.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 09-03-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Yeah but I see enough people who misunderstand and glorify Heath Ledger’s Joker, and I already can see it ramping up for this take too.

This Joker shouldn’t have fans or fan art.
    Eh, I don't give any fudge about fans and fan art. All I care is if I like something, and this looks like a film and take on a character I'll like. Why let some annoying people online ruin something for you?