Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    This was a weird but interesting issue. Dissapointed in the lack of Lorna's focus, but I'm hopeful for the rest of the series. I'm intrigued about Moonstar's and Shard's mystery.
    Am I the only one who has a strong dislike towards this version of Gabby?
    No. No you are not. Like, I get it. She has reasons to be bitter toward the X-Men. Hell, if she's in good with Hank, her behavior might be service of a role she's playing, as with him. But she's just not a character who's strongly enough developed on her own that I get that gut punch of "Oh, this is so wrong", the way I do with some of the other X-Men trapped in AoXM, and her shitbird commentary is really annoying me. If it was Laura locked into a captive scenario, for example, I'd feel pretty sick over it because of her past and her being torn away from her little sister. But it's just not landing with Gabby, despite their backgrounds being so similar and Gabby being younger. Possibly because Gabby's main development as been as a foil for Laura, so she still doesn't quite feel like a character in her own right? Or that her youth is pretty played down here? Probably something along those lines.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    From what Gabby said, Lorna came to the prison so messed up mentally that when she, Gabby, told her she was wearing a straight jacket, she believed her and has never stopped believing her.
    While Gabby may have indeed implanted the suggestion originally, I'm thinkin' it's been maintained and reinforced since, by another... likely Shard/Nate.

Also...

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    ... seeing her arms crossed in every panel...
    ... leads me to believe it might be more of a fail-safe, done with the worry she can & will override the collars' power suppression, at any given time. So, Nate's gone the eXtra mile with containment of her, due to her potentially eXplosive threat level... i.e., he's afraid of her.

I think he's done somethin' of a similar nature, but in a different way, with Storm over in Marvelous.

BANNED

Age of X-Man: Prisoner X #2 // Review — You Don't Read Comics
    Russ Bickerstaff:
    An incarcerated superhuman mutant continues to chase phantom memories of a world that doesn’t exist as the prison warden struggles with the morality of his job in another satisfying exploration of dystopian incarceration in the second issue of Prisoner X. Vita Ayala continues to weave a very disciplined story that is meticulously drawn by Argentine artist Germán Peralta. Mike Spicer lends color to the prison and its inhabitants. Mystery continues to bleed and pulse around the edges of aggression in a prison for super-humans. A second enjoyable issue in a row makes this one of the more reliable series in the multi-miniseries Age of X-Man event. ...

... The drama between Bishop and fellow inmate a blue, furry Hank McCoy reveals a bit more sophistication. Bishop’s looking for answers about his dreams. “Stop asking your questions so loudly,” McCoy advises Bishop. “Or the wrong people will answer them.” It’s clever moments like this that lends the world of The Danger Room Prison Complex an intriguing sense of vitality.

... The first issue ended with a note. The second issue ends with something much more devastating. The mystery ramps-up pretty heavily in this issue. There’s a steady increase in intensity over the course of the issue that gets kind of crazy at the end. It’s a fun trip, but it’ll be interesting to see if Ayala and company are able to maintain the kind of tight, clean rhythm for the remainder of the mini-series.

GRADE: A

Extraordinary Member

Polaris isn't a telepath, but she is a former Horsemen, something which I bet Apocalypse tried to use when he last fought Nate. This might also explain why Apocalypse wasn't placed in the prison, because he would just meet up with Polaris and others who are resistant to Nate's powers and make a mess.

Polaris is also Magneto's daughter, something which might be triggering for him, and her own magnetic abilities might enable her to sense that something isn't right.

Nate can control Magneto, but he can't control both of them at once.

BANNED

... Polaris.... resistant to Nate's powers and (can) make a mess. ...
    This is a decisive distinction, IMO. When it comes to some of the incarcerated (as well as previously "corrected") characters in AoXM, I think it's just as much--if not even more so--about who they are, as opposed to what they can do (with their powers).

... Polaris is also Magneto's daughter, something which might be triggering for him, and her own magnetic abilities might enable her to sense that something isn't right.

Nate can control Magneto, but he can't control both of them at once.
    Possible, and I sure do hope we get the full story at some point, behind Polaris being at odds with & an enemy of the X-Men...

... in this world.

All-New Member

Aoxm makes no sense. Danni is in two places at once. Anyone know a good comic podcast?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Was it explained why Bishop is incarcerated for being in a sexual relationship with Jean but...Jean isn't incarcerated?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is not a Lorna book tho, Bishop is the PoV character. If character is going to get screen time it is through interaction with Bishop. Maybe except for Forge who seems to be the main antagonist of the book
    I'm not saying I want more Lorna because I was never really invested in the character to begin with, just saying I expected more interactions of hers with Bishop because, as you say, he's the POV character and the only way we get some sense of what's with her and why she was highlighted on the cover, would be through more meaningful interactions with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Not saying that you are wrong about smaller characters but the interest in Bishop is already there and all that is need for him to excel a good concept to make use of his skills in this case, A prison drama where he can use his detective skills. This book works even better because it has some additional layers like It is telling a story of a Black man wrongfully imprisoned so it can hit on some of those subtext in the story. This book is not a concept Polaris pulls off as well Bishop has natural set up of being the authority and cop make it easy for everyone hates him in jail.
    I must say, though, your view on this is cool and very much right. This kind of storyline wouldn't work as well with someone other than Bishop due to his whole background. Kudos for your take on the subject

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Was it explained why Bishop is incarcerated for being in a sexual relationship with Jean but...Jean isn't incarcerated?
    As far as we know, Jean is at most a second time offender. One more breach of the laws and she's thrown in the Danger Room. As explained in Prisoner X #1, Bishop has three offenses of the principles.
    Last edited by PrezValentine; 04-04-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I feel like even if Jean committed all the offenses in the world, Nate wouldn't get rid of her.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    None of it offsets my complaint about how this whole concept was lifted from Lorna's use on Gifted and given to Bishop, instead of letting Lorna lead it while Bishop led something else. It's just a note of kudos where due amid a larger issue.
    Being a enigmatic char in the fake world created by a child of the Xmen.... Bishop did that in the 90s
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Interesting how Dani only seems to remember New Mutants team mates who aren't in Age of X
    well "Dani" is in prisoner of X ....but I don't think ANY of the New Mutants are in it...

From what Gabby said, Lorna came to the prison so messed up mentally that when she, Gabby, told her she was wearing a straight jacket, she believed her and has never stopped believing her.
    I thought Gabby told her that when she helped arrest her
    how is she any different ' cept for the shorter hair and without the cute millennial accessories?

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    This is what I'm leanin' towards, Shard = Nate, and Dani = Legion.
    Oooh Snap!
    but then that'd just getting another example of 99% of the minority cast were played by white dudes
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post

Now, I can't ignore seeing her arms crossed in every panel...
    DUUUUDE I know right

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    well "Dani" is in prisoner of X ....but I don't think ANY of the New Mutants are in it...
    Most of the New Mutants missed the exodus. But Magma is in Amazing Nightcrawler, and I think Cypher was one of the mutants who answered Jean's call

BANNED

Vita needs to step their social media game up because this book deserves more attention

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    I'm not saying I want more Lorna because I was never really invested in the character to begin with, just saying I expected more interactions of hers with Bishop because, as you say, he's the POV character and the only way we get some sense of what's with her and why she was highlighted on the cover, would be through more meaningful interactions with him.
    I get that just have seen just couple of comments going I have seen a lot of I expected more Lorna. Yeah I guess the cover was a little deceiving but book is clear Bishop is the main character aka "Prisoner X", Beast, Dani,Polaris and Gabby are side characters. Maybe because I listen to Vitya Alya interviews so know it is supposed to have a heavy Bishop focus. I get why people want to see more their favorite character but this easily a Bishop solo, I don't expect to focus on another character in very specific way not including Bishop unless it tells some backstory or to move something very specific along in the plot. The next issue has Beast on the cover and it probably means nothing either. This book seems to trying to tell story of this prison through the eyes of Bishop. When reaches Prison Break territory that is when the other characters will really get to shine I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Most of the New Mutants missed the exodus. But Magma is in Amazing Nightcrawler, and I think Cypher was one of the mutants who answered Jean's call
    OHHHH SNAP! you're right

This was a weird but interesting issue. Dissapointed in the lack of Lorna's focus, but I'm hopeful for the rest of the series. I'm intrigued about Moonstar's and Shard's mystery.
    If anything, this version of Gabby is way more tolerable to me than the regular one.