Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    If anything, this version of Gabby is way more tolerable to me than the regular one.
    right???
    Honey Badger w/ pet Wolverine.....it's like an 80 sitcom spin-off

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dudepool View Post
    Aoxm makes no sense. Danni is in two places at once. ...
    Per Rosenberg (and Ayala, Thompson/Nadler, by way of), it will make sense, when all is revealed/resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    ... I thought Gabby told her that when she helped arrest her...

... Oooh Snap!
    but then that'd just getting another example of 99% of the minority cast were played by white dudes
    lol...
    I took Gabby's assertion as her already being in the Danger Room Prison CompleX when a traumatized Polaris woke up there, after she was defeated by the X-Men in battle, and banished to it.

Vita did say:
    ... things are not at all what they initially seem (literally – don’t trust your eyes)!...

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    Vita needs to step their social media game up because this book deserves more attention
    It does.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    ... Yeah I guess the cover was a little deceiving but book is clear Bishop is the main character aka "Prisoner X", Beast, Dani,Polaris and Gabby are side characters. Maybe because I listen to Vitya Alya interviews so know it is supposed to have a heavy Bishop focus. I get why people want to see more their favorite character but this easily a Bishop solo... When reaches Prison Break territory that is when the other characters will really get to shine I think.
    The cover was misleading. Though I do believe it was maybe... 'symbolic' (meta?), of future events, in regards to Polaris breaking free of her (self-imposed, to some degree?... Meta, also?) straitjacketed state of mind (being). Girl's bein' & been held back for far too long, both in & out of story, and needs to be allowed to FINALLY... breathe DEEPly, and reach her full potential.

Vita, again:
    ... Though Bishop is largely the perspective character, Gabby, Polaris, Dani, Beast, and Forge are part of the prominent cast. There is one more very recognizable mutant, but I want to save them for when people read the book!

The team was suggested to me as is, and I was happy to be able to get the chance to write them. ...

... just know that the main cast – Bishop, Dani, Forge, Polaris, Beast, and Gabby – are incredible characters that have plenty of stories to catch up on once readers check out Prisoner X!
    Ensemble doesn't & shouldn't = solo. None of the regular covers(/main selling points) have featured Bishop by himself, or at all, even. But agree, eXpect & hope the eventual riot:

... will have brighter, and more focused moments, for all.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    If anything, this version of Gabby is way more tolerable to me than the regular one.
    I find both barely tolerable, and...

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    ... like an 80 sitcom spin-off
    ... as I assume ANY incarnation would be.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 04-05-2019 at 07:12 AM.

BANNED

This just feels like Filler IMO. I think everyone will be mindwiped when they return to the 616. There’s too much going on in this AU for everything to matter. And if they just selectivity decide what transfers over is just gonna lead to a huge mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post

The cover was misleading. Though I do believe it was maybe... 'symbolic' (meta?), of future events, in regards to Polaris breaking free of her (self-imposed, to some degree?... Meta, also?) straitjacketed state of mind (being). Girl's bein' & been held back for far too long, both in & out of story, and needs to be allowed to FINALLY... breathe DEEPly, and reach her full potential.

Ensemble doesn't & shouldn't = solo. None of the regular covers(/main selling points) have featured Bishop by himself, or at all, even. But agree, eXpect & hope the eventual riot:
    On that part you are correct Ensemble does not equal solo but it is better to explain that way for this reason.Ensemble doesn't mean 20/20/20/20/20 with a entire cast. It can easily mean Bishop 60%/ Beast 10%/ Moonstar 10%/ Polaris 10%/ Gabby 10 %. Nothing against the other characters I like all of them it just in a specific storyline it is going to be hard for any of them to get shine like how people want. If this was ongoing then the focus can shift to characters but it is still a storyline focusing on Bishop and he is going to get most of the focus. That said when the characters are working together it is going to be a little bit more balanced but if you are someone waiting for your favs to get their shine/focus I don't this story for that to happen. That is what I was trying to express with solo comment just in the same War of Realms Uncanny X-men I expect more Moonstar than anyone else.

I'm suddenly reminded of how when I called out Marvel taking Gifted's season 1 use of Lorna, giving it to Bishop and making him star character of this book, someone else tried to claim Bishop wasn't the star character of this book because it has an ensemble.

Marvel doing what I said they would do after someone else says they wouldn't has become a running theme for me.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Gifted

Lorna is in jail after clash with Sentinel Services/Police and is only caught because she stupidly over attacks a policeman , In Jail Lorna is disliked by some because Lorna has an attitude with them and prisoners are generally aholes

Prisoner X

Bishop is put in secret jail after breaking rules of the world, In jail Bishop isn't like because he is former X-man who put most of these guys in jail.

The set up and character reasoning/purpose have nothing in common other than prison. Prisoner X and Gifted have nothing in common honestly and deep details make even less so. Prisoner X has more common with recent X-men Gold issues where several X-men were in prison than the Gifted.Not even the visuals are borrow from the the gifted. The writer would have said she if she was inspired by the Gifted,I have listen to couple interviews on her now she explained her influences for the story never mentioned the Gifted. And she explained why Bishop is used,He is one of her personal favorites and he was on cover of the first books she ever picked up. It was pretty funny story Wonder Woman was other book she pick up and she picked her up because she looked her cousin. She thought Wonder Woman was Latina.

Anyways Vita says that story takes off in issue 3, So it should be interesting to see what happens then

Gifted

Lorna is put in jail after breaking rules of the world

Prisoner X

Bishop is put in jail after breaking rules of the world

They're the exact same thing. Only the details of whose rules they are and the reasons they have those rules differ. The visuals are all functionally the same with only superficial differences. A writer can very easily be inspired by something without saying (or in many cases, not even knowing) they were, and that's assuming all of what they're doing was actually their decision and not in some respects brought to them by an editor or done by the artist.

As I've said multiple times before, I have no issue with Bishop leading a book. I have no issue with the writer being a fan of Bishop. I have an issue with yet another case of something clearly being taken from Lorna, applied to another character, and Lorna made into a supporting character for that starring character getting to run with a concept she made very popular just a year and a half ago. I don't care that Bishop fans are willing to disregard all that because they're happy he gets to be the star, just as I wouldn't care if fans for any other character did the same thing. What I see is what I see, and I need to say what I need to say.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Gifted

Lorna is put in jail after breaking rules of the world

Prisoner X

Bishop is put in jail after breaking rules of the world
    Captain America is put jail for breaking rules of the world

X-men in Gold put in jail after breaking the rules of the world.

Do you know how many other stories of mutant (and superheroes) being put in prison after breaking the rules? Captain America is jail for breaking rules of the world and is surrounded by super power people who don't like him. I guess Coates must have copied the gifted. Literally every future scenario is X-men in power dampening collars being imprisoned. Saying the Gifted and Prisoner X are close is huge reach. To make matters worse gifted writers is basically taking/borrowing from X-men comic lore so it pointless in the grand scheme.

What I am seeing is someone diminishing a story rightful given to a character for a bad reason "of character is in jail" oh they are copying Gifted therefore Bishop is stealing Lorna story. When there is nothing closely in common in the stories and the set up is different. If the story had one significant element in common I would have not said anything but as someone who watches Gifted. I don't see anything being used from Gifted, the story this feels most familiar with is Age of X if it had a prison and prison set up for Lorna feels like any of the generic set up the X-men have been in mutant is put jail for being a mutant. The set up prisoner X prison is way different as mutant are charge hate is not reason people are in prison.

In fact just for fun Tomorrow People, Heroes, The Darkest Minds, Alphas, The 4400,Push, Misfits etc I can find you set up similar where a powered person is in jail. There is nothing inherent unique about Lorna situation in the Gifted that doesn't generically fit scifi fiction that has been told before.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-07-2019 at 02:48 AM.

She-hulk is a rip-off of Polaris because Polaris was the first female with green hair in the marvel universe.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Captain America is put jail for breaking rules of the world

X-men in Gold put in jail after breaking the rules of the world.

Do you know how many other stories of mutant (and superheroes) being put in prison after breaking the rules?
    I'm aware. I also know that there are multiple factors beyond just the "in jail cause of breaking rules of the world" part that are involved here and that I decided not to dig into last time because I've done it multiple times now. Lorna broke rules and she's locked up in a special facility dedicated to mutants, check. It's a prison setting where the inmates interact instead of being separately locked up, check. It involves dampening collars and uniforms that match Gifted's setting, check. The aesthetics of this prison match those of Gifted's being a very sterile and washed out sort of environment, check. It's a mere year and a half after Gifted's big and popular use of Lorna in this setting, check.

What I'm seeing is someone who likes Bishop being the lead of this book disregarding all the elements that make it clear this is taking from Lorna's use on Gifted, and how this should've had Lorna as the star and had Bishop star in something else.

I'm not one to shy away from inconvenient truths. I stopped watching Gifted when Dreamer was killed off, despite what it was doing with Lorna in season 1 and highly praising it prior to that point, because that death was handled horribly. I had a hell of a time coming to terms with that, but I did it. As much as I enjoyed Polaris' use on Secret Wars: House of M, I called the book out for making Magneto look stupid for Lorna to have a moment of looking cool, and especially for writing Pietro REALLY badly OOC just so Lorna could appear superior to him. Suffice to say, I would not be saying what I am if I didn't think it was absolutely 100% legitimate.

And I think you know that final part of your post is just trying to over-generalize the confines of this scenario way beyond what it actually is.

If the argument was that Bishop's due for focus, I'd agree with that. But if the argument's that this specific idea going to Bishop instead of Lorna is fine, I'm never going to agree on that. I've gotten very sick of seeing things stolen from Lorna, given to other characters, and watching as Lorna is treated like she has nothing to offer. It's a cycle Marvel's gotten away with for decades and I'm going to call it out til it stops.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I'm aware. I also know that there are multiple factors beyond just the "in jail cause of breaking rules of the world" part that are involved here and that I decided not to dig into last time because I've done it multiple times now. Lorna broke rules and she's locked up in a special facility dedicated to mutants, check. It's a prison setting where the inmates interact instead of being separately locked up, check. It involves dampening collars and uniforms that match Gifted's setting, check. The aesthetics of this prison match those of Gifted's being a very sterile and washed out sort of environment, check. It's a mere year and a half after Gifted's big and popular use of Lorna in this setting, check.

What I'm seeing is someone who likes Bishop being the lead of this book disregarding all the elements that make it clear this is taking from Lorna's use on Gifted, and how this should've had Lorna as the star and had Bishop star in something else.

I'm not one to shy away from inconvenient truths. I stopped watching Gifted when Dreamer was killed off, despite what it was doing with Lorna in season 1 and highly praising it prior to that point, because that death was handled horribly. I had a hell of a time coming to terms with that, but I did it. As much as I enjoyed Polaris' use on Secret Wars: House of M, I called the book out for making Magneto look stupid for Lorna to have a moment of looking cool, and especially for writing Pietro REALLY badly OOC just so Lorna could appear superior to him. Suffice to say, I would not be saying what I am if I didn't think it was absolutely 100% legitimate.

And I think you know that final part of your post is just trying to over-generalize the confines of this scenario way beyond what it actually is.

If the argument was that Bishop's due for focus, I'd agree with that. But if the argument's that this specific idea going to Bishop instead of Lorna is fine, I'm never going to agree on that. I've gotten very sick of seeing things stolen from Lorna, given to other characters, and watching as Lorna is treated like she has nothing to offer. It's a cycle Marvel's gotten away with for decades and I'm going to call it out til it stops.
    Nothing you have described is different from superpowered prison setting seen Heroes,Alphas, 4400, etc. Or any prison setting in general. No matter how much I say this standard fair especially for the X-men

It doesn't seem to be clicking.Prisoner X is an off the books prison that nobody in the world knows about and unlike most setting where mutants are jailed for being mutants by humans. This is mutant run prison where prisoners are put inside for breaking the world bs rules and if the general population knew the prison wouldn't exist. Nothing about this is like the Gifted setting, Nothing is being stolen from Lorna. I am going just move on because this not going to go anywhere productive.

Since when did being in prison become a thing only Lorna can do?

BANNED

... Ensemble doesn't mean 20/20/20/20/20 with a entire cast. It can easily mean Bishop 60%/ Beast 10%/ Moonstar 10%/ Polaris 10%/ Gabby 10 %. ...
    I suppose an argument can be made POV = MVP, but that doesn't scream team to me. Which w/modern comiX, is a recurring theme, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Since when did being in prison become a thing only Lorna can do?

Appears there's more than enough of it to go around, tho.

Yeah, we knew prior to this even coming out that although this has an ensemble cast, the main character is Bishop. And to protest this absurd idea that only Lorna can go to jail, I will be going to jail to show that jail is for everyone.

BANNED

The prison industrial complex was created to diminish Polaris.