Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Aquaman has like super-pet superiority. But I feel like Batman lately has been giving him a run for his money, with Ace, Ace II, Titus, Bat-Cow, Alfred the Cat, etc ...

Mxyzptlk (who has affiliates - Nyxlygspl, Vyndktvx, Brpzx, and Ferlyn Nyxly) ... Bat-Mite ... Qwsp (who has brothers Qwrk and Qwnk) ... Myrwdden ... four out of seven? I'm actually ultra curious what imps for the other three would be like. I'm imagining a more classic Arabian djinn take on an imp for Wonder Woman, definitely female. I figure a Flash Imp is going to be kind of lightning/speed force affiliated. But man, what do you do for a Martian Imp?
    Zook has been suggested as an imp before, which gives MM an imp and technically a pet too, since Franco and Balthazar have used him as such in their Super Pets work. Sholly Fisch in his Super Friends series (which was better than its style deserved, tbh) used Mopee and the Golden Age Wonder Woman character Shaggy the Leprachaun for WW. That brings us up to a full seven, though you could certainly get creative and make new characters.

Between Krypto, Ace, Jumpa, Topo, Zook, and Itty, you'd only have to make a pet for Flash, and that's assuming you don't bring over the Terrific Whatzit. I reccomend the Superpets Handbook Batlhazar and Franco put out, btw. It's goofy fun.

I enjoyed the issue but didn’t get the ending initially. Had to research Silver Age Green Lantern stories. Should have guessed that Grant would mine the fun/insanity of the Silver Age and make it contemporary. That’s always been his M.O.

So happy Adam Strange is back in his old costume. Nothing screams Silver Age DC Comics sci fi like Adam Strange on a cover.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite Green Lantern runs. It reminds a lot of the early Johns stuff in terms of ambition but without developing into the color-coded power rangers stuff the former turned into by the end.

Really enjoying Sharp's artwork, too. He brings an almost '70s sci-fi scale to everything and I'm absolutely there for it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I enjoyed the issue but didn’t get the ending initially. Had to research Silver Age Green Lantern stories. Should have guessed that Grant would mine the fun/insanity of the Silver Age and make it contemporary. That’s always been his M.O.

So happy Adam Strange is back in his old costume. Nothing screams Silver Age DC Comics sci fi like Adam Strange on a cover.
    He used Captain Comet and Adam Strange together in Fifty-Two, then respun Captain Comet into his Action Comics run, so I suppose it was inevitable Adam came back to visit in Green Lantern. I'd really love a visit from Captain Comet in this title, though. He's in Hal's jurisdiction, he's really cool, and, particularly starting with Giffen's Threshold, but then going into Venditti's run, MOST of DC's "space hero" (and "space villain") characters have turned up.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

He used Captain Comet and Adam Strange together in Fifty-Two, then respun Captain Comet into his Action Comics run, so I suppose it was inevitable Adam came back to visit in Green Lantern. I'd really love a visit from Captain Comet in this title, though. He's in Hal's jurisdiction, he's really cool, and, particularly starting with Giffen's Threshold, but then going into Venditti's run, MOST of DC's "space hero" (and "space villain") characters have turned up.
    I really liked his revamp of Captain Comet. Hadn’t even thought about him potentially showing up. That would be awesome.

... But man, what do you do for a Martian Imp?
    impossman.jpg
    [10 chars]

captain comet, adam strange and hal would be awesome.

last i saw comet was in l.e.g.i.o.n., what's happened to him since then?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Aquaman has like super-pet superiority. But I feel like Batman lately has been giving him a run for his money, with Ace, Ace II, Titus, Bat-Cow, Alfred the Cat, etc ...

Mxyzptlk (who has affiliates - Nyxlygspl, Vyndktvx, Brpzx, and Ferlyn Nyxly) ... Bat-Mite ... Qwsp (who has brothers Qwrk and Qwnk) ... Myrwdden ... four out of seven? I'm actually ultra curious what imps for the other three would be like. I'm imagining a more classic Arabian djinn take on an imp for Wonder Woman, definitely female. I figure a Flash Imp is going to be kind of lightning/speed force affiliated. But man, what do you do for a Martian Imp?
    If I am recalling correctly, Barry briefly had his own Imp who was responsible for the lightning bolt that made him the Flash, but DC subsequently retconned that idea away and that story and character were never brought up again...which means you know Morrison or Snyder is going to bring him back

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If I am recalling correctly, Barry briefly had his own Imp who was responsible for the lightning bolt that made him the Flash, but DC subsequently retconned that idea away and that story and character were never brought up again...which means you know Morrison or Snyder is going to bring him back
    That was Mopee, a self-descriped "Heavenly help mate" He only appeared in Flash #167, and this the only time he was referred to. The COIE Index from the Absolute placed the story on Earth-32, the repository of stuff that just didn't fit. IT'd be fun to bring in Mopee as Barry's imp, though, since he had the feeling of a more neurotic Mxy or Bat-Mite.

Granted, now that I think about it, Krakkl already sort of fills the role of the Flash Family Imp.

Random thought bringing back focus to this run rather than imps for JL:

Does the ending monologue of vampire lady (and previous stuff by Mu) imply that Mu's plan will be carried out as long as Blackstart's and Hal live/exist?

Re-reading the first issue, a few things popped for me the second time. When the Guardians are explaining their juristiction, they mention and show a machine called the Great Attractor that presumably sucks up all the willpower into the Central Power Battery of Oa that empowers all the various Green Lanterns.

Has this machine ever showed up before?

The mystery of the Anti-Matter Hal Jordan remains untouched after a few issues. My guess is we'll delve into him when we meet the Multiversal Lanterns. Really looking forward to meeting The Magic Lantern.

I think Mu's plot will live on after him, yeah. I'm not sure how, but I'm guessing he's somehow distributed his intelligence through the Blackstars. I don't think it's going to be as simple as his plots being so complex that his death can't stop them- that seems a bit mundane for such a cosmic villain.

The Great Attractor appears original, but the name is another of Morrison's appropriations of actual weird science. It's a big-ass gravitational anomaly at the center of the Milky Way. I love how he incorporates stuff like this or the Strangelet.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This is quickly becoming one of my favorite Green Lantern runs. It reminds a lot of the early Johns stuff in terms of ambition but without developing into the color-coded power rangers stuff the former turned into by the end.

Really enjoying Sharp's artwork, too. He brings an almost '70s sci-fi scale to everything and I'm absolutely there for it.
    The man does pack in a lot of information. You re read the comic not just for the plot, but even for the art. This is a great creatice team. Hope they win an award or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    The Great Attractor appears original, but the name is another of Morrison's appropriations of actual weird science. It's a big-ass gravitational anomaly at the center of the Milky Way. I love how he incorporates stuff like this or the Strangelet.
    Yeah, who needs a trippy imagination when actual science can be so bizarre! One just has to read up on what's out there.

The second issue is pretty fun in how Morrison subverts the whole idea of fearlessness by having Hal so visibly nervous around the rich Spider Guild Princess because he's instinctively afraid of her, but because he understands intellectually that it's simply the way his brain is reacting to her anatomy, and spiders feel the same.

I absolutely love the way Sharp depicts New Oa. This is the high bar for how Oa has been depicted and that's a helluva compliment.