Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I'd imagine they'd change at least 1 or 2 things if looking to the Golden Age comics with Batman in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    One good thing about Golden Age Batman is there's no need to set him up as some heinously rich CEO to justify state of the art gadgetry (I'm sure there's creative ways a around it now too but alas). He just needs to be well off with some connections and be smart. His connections could easily come from years of wandering the world and years of doing Batman stuff.
    While I think I'd enjoy an animated period piece based on Golden Age Batman, I don't recall that he ever wandered the world in that era. I don't really care for his world-wandering too much, so that's a plus for me.

I'd probably like a live-action one (both live or animated should be treated seriously), but I just don't think that's ever going to happen.

Based on the Watchmen series trailer, it looks like they're going to have some flashbacks to earlier eras, so that might be something to look out for.

A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series would be interesting, much like how I enjoyed Penny Dreadful.

I'd love to futz with some timelines though (so they overlap) and do a Gotham By Gaslight, Amazonia, and Superman: War of the Worlds series set in the late Victorian Age. I love a good period piece/costume drama.

Astonishing Member

Dunno if it could work as a movie series, but yeah, I'd DEFINITELY want to see this Batman done in live action. Maybe as a premium TV show.

I recently re-read the early Kane/Finger stories and they kinda bust the myth that Batman started as this street-level crime-fighter who fought muggers and drug-dealers and organized crime in a city that was a cesspool of corruption. The early Batman is the perfect pulp character - he fights vampires, monsters, evil scientists, and would-be dictators armed with ray guns! I mean there's an insane creativity to the early Batman stories that easily trumps the early Superman stories in terms of tonal variety and narrative options.

Characterization-wise, the early Batman was also much more of a daredevil adventurer. Sure, the origin story was introduced about six or seven issues in, but this definitely wasn't a Bruce Wayne weighed down by his parent's deaths. Yup, he swore an oath once to spend his life "warring against evil"...so he decided to get on with the job and have fun doing so!

I'd definitely love to see an adaptation of the Hugo Strange Monster Men story and the Mad Monk story. The 'Dirigible of Doom' might be a fascinating story to adapt - it involves Batman fighting a dictator who's flying around in a dirigible armed with a ray-gun. Its also, interesting enough, the first story where Batman is accepted as a hero by the citizens of the then-unnamed Gotham City.

Would love a movie based in the 30's.

Fantastic Member

Golden Age is the best version of any character to me, especially Batman. Im actually angry they never write comics set in that period now, because time changed and the concept of Batman and a family of kid sidekicks doesn't hold up as well unless you changed him into a GODJERK and it collapses onto itself. Also without technology, he works much more smart, more genuine. I'm all for Golden Age Batman anything.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 07-24-2019 at 04:43 AM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

My recommendations are The Shadow (1994) starring Alec Baldwin and Lobster Johnson (Dark Horse). The Lobster has incredible art and the writing is what modern Batman titles wish they could be

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    How would you feel if they did a series of movies based on the comics from the golden age? Like instead of villains like Joker, Riddler, and Penguin being the focus they revamped villains like Mad Monk, and Dr. Death is that something you'd be okay with especially if they flat out said that more popular villains would not be used? Like instead of Catwoman for a love interest Julie Madison was used and even if Catwoman appeared it was strictly as a adversary. I personally would be okay with that because it would be a nice change up to see movies based on the Golden Age and it would probably be very refreshing to not see the same old villains and other such characters. Also I have read some golden age comics and it feels like an entirely different character and world which I really love I feel like a lot of stories if revamped would be awesome to see updated.
    Are you talking about the Golden Age Batman's stories published on Detective Comics?
    I haven't read them carefully, but they have given to me a really good impression (better than the stories of the Batman title of the same period), so I would be very happy if they would bring back those villains and if they would restart to write stories like those. But I wouldn't be very happy if they dropped character like Penguins, Joker and Riddler or some concepts of the later stories (like the moral ambiguity of Catwoman and her sentimental relationship with Batman), instead I would adapt these villains and these concepts to that kind of stories.

Fantastic Member

YES, since the mythos, all things considered, only really worked best in that era.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I would love a film series for Batman and for Superman set in this era.