Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How would you feel if they did a movie series based on the golden age comics?

How would you feel if they did a series of movies based on the comics from the golden age? Like instead of villains like Joker, Riddler, and Penguin being the focus they revamped villains like Mad Monk, and Dr. Death is that something you'd be okay with especially if they flat out said that more popular villains would not be used? Like instead of Catwoman for a love interest Julie Madison was used and even if Catwoman appeared it was strictly as a adversary. I personally would be okay with that because it would be a nice change up to see movies based on the Golden Age and it would probably be very refreshing to not see the same old villains and other such characters. Also I have read some golden age comics and it feels like an entirely different character and world which I really love I feel like a lot of stories if revamped would be awesome to see updated.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    How would you feel if they did a series of movies based on the comics from the golden age? Like instead of villains like Joker, Riddler, and Penguin being the focus they revamped villains like Mad Monk, and Dr. Death is that something you'd be okay with especially if they flat out said that more popular villains would not be used? Like instead of Catwoman for a love interest Julie Madison was used and even if Catwoman appeared it was strictly as a adversary. I personally would be okay with that because it would be a nice change up to see movies based on the Golden Age and it would probably be very refreshing to not see the same old villains and other such characters. Also I have read some golden age comics and it feels like an entirely different character and world which I really love I feel like a lot of stories if revamped would be awesome to see updated.
    Thats not really golden age, thats basically just the first year of Batman comics.
    Joker, Penguin and Catwoman are all Golden Age villains, and were iirc his most frequently appearing villains during that era, and Catwoman was a love interest since her first appearance.

I don't know about the stories themselves necessarily, but I do want to see a Batman movie set in the late 30s/early 40s, with a high degree of historical accuracy. Everything looking like it could have plausibly come from that time; gear, costumes, everything. But also done seriously.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I'm a fan of Assassins Creed and Fantastic Beasts so it feels like a cool experiment to tackle. Historical fiction has its own costs because you gotta spend money on sets and costumes etc but thats their problem .

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman leading the Justice Society!

Wonder Woman, The Flash, Alan Scott, Hawkman, Liberty Belle, Wildcat

I’m sure the public would respond lovingly to Batman killing, and Superman being explicitly immigrant.
    Last edited by Kurisu; 04-04-2019 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I don't know about the stories themselves necessarily, but I do want to see a Batman movie set in the late 30s/early 40s, with a high degree of historical accuracy. Everything looking like it could have plausibly come from that time; gear, costumes, everything. But also done seriously.
    That would be great! Would love to see this done as a live action movie and/or an animated feature.

I would love something like this! Of course I've long made it known I want a Dracula movie done in the style of the old Universal Horror movies, black and white and set in the time period of the movies and everything, so something like this with the Mad Monk kind of hits that same desire in a way.

I wouldn't mind a series of animated movies done in the style of a 1940s Crime or Noir drama, but as a live action movie?

No, I'd rather keep things modern.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    I’m sure the public would respond lovingly to Batman killing, and Superman being explicitly immigrant.
    They already have, haven't they?

I mean, Bruce didnt directly kill anyone in the Nolan films but he killed plenty of people in the Burton and DCEU movies. Dont remember the 90's ones well enough to say but I vaguely recall Two-Face falling to his death because Bruce threw a bunch of quarters into the air and Dent lost his balance or something?

You're right that the audiences might not "get" a period piece, heavy in the pulp sensibilities. But you never know. Movies like Logan and Deadpool (and whatever else) are making people re-evaluate what a superhero movie can be, and a pulp film with Batman might be so different from what audiences expect of the character they just might view it as a fun Elseworlds and not the "real" Batman they'd expect from a present-day setting.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-05-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I would dig a Bat-flick set in the 40's.
    Batman - Daredevil

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

One good thing about Golden Age Batman is there's no need to set him up as some heinously rich CEO to justify state of the art gadgetry (I'm sure there's creative ways a around it now too but alas). He just needs to be well off with some connections and be smart. His connections could easily come from years of wandering the world and years of doing Batman stuff.

Being extremely, extremely rich doesnt truly fit the Batman character and leans way more into the fascist readings of him (which I do not like). Batman is best when he's a great detective with a strong altruistic streak. More of the gothic imagery and less of the silicon valley baron look.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-05-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I wouldn't mind a series of animated movies done in the style of a 1940s Crime or Noir drama
    It would be awesome to do a 30's/40's style toon using Bruce Timm's style like they did with BATMAN: STRANGE DAYS. I absolutely love that short and would like to see a full blown feature in that style and era.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Well, my first question would be what kind of situation would they make to justify not including Robin again.

Only filming Batman's first year I guess.

I think a lot of people would probably be open to a Batman that's a period piece feature, especially since so much of Gotham is generally pulled from different eras and times whenever it's adapted.