Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Default SMALLVILLE Appreciation

You know, I once said that Smallville helped keep the Superman franchise strong without the availability of a major hit movie but now it's safe to say the show's success paved the way for the entire Arrowverse and possibly the Netflix Marvel shows.
    Last edited by BBally; 07-19-2019 at 10:54 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

I watched Smallville for the first time only last year. I had all the seasons on DVD, but took awhile to get around to watching them.

Great group of actors and exciting story arcs. In general, they nailed the season-ending cliffhanger every single time.

They probably introduced Lois a couple of seasons too early, but I don't think they had any idea the show would run for 10 years.

I felt more satisfied with Smallville when it was all over than I did with the other densely-plotted show of the 2000s, Lost.

Sometimes Smallville's dense mythology got away from it, but overall I think they handled things well.

Green Arrow worked in this series a whole lot better than one would think.

It's interesting to binge watch the series because then you pick up on things that may have slipped by weekly viewers such as the fact that Clark and Chloe never actually graduated from college or even went a full second year.

The only big negative I can say about the series was the Season 7 finale when Lex finally discovers Clark's secret. They talk and fight for all of 2 minutes before the Fortress collapses in a cliffhanger. The culmination of Lex's story needed more breathing room than just a few minutes at the end of an episode. That particular aspect felt undercooked to me.

However, in spite of the few areas where they didn't quite stick the landing, I think that even though Clark never appeared in costume during the series except for the last seconds, Smallville was the best Superman show we've ever had.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

A video essay HiTop Films did on the show
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Astonishing Member

I had quit the show around S6 the first time it aired on tv and only got to finish it just last year around December. I have a new found appreciation for it despite its flaws.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I have the entire series collection. I honestly thought about selling it after the whole Allison Mack thing came out. She kind of ruined the show for me. That having been said, I saw it as probably the best middle ground between the pre-and post-Crisis Superman. It had the best elements of both and kind of wish the comics were more like it in terms of his history.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

I was never a fan of the Chloe character so even with what happened with AM, I continued "ignoring" her on the show. I watched the show for Clark, not for his ancillary support. However, I loved Lois, Lex and Ollie.

Has the best live action Lex Luthor bar none imo. I thought it did a great job of drawing on all of the Superman mythos in order to build up the character. Sucks that Welling refuses to wear the suit. But yeah Smallville helped keep the Superman franchise alive after Returns buried it. Shame we don’t have a Superman TV series right now to keep us entertained after the DCEU fiasco. I hope they put the series on DC Universe soon.

Astonishing Member

I feel like at this rate, we're closer to getting a Superman show than a movie. I don't care what we get as long as we get something and soon.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Smallville for me was a show that was good in spite of its writing, which is a rare feat in entertainment and definitely a credit to the actors for doing a good job with weak material.

I can go on for a while about the plot holes, continuity errors, and the flimsy characterization episode-to-episode (there's not a character who suffered through the writing worse than Lana). But somehow it became one of my favorite television shows. Tom Welling's Clark was endearing, Michael Rosenbaum's Lex is still (IMO) the best live-action adaptation of the character to this day, and the show overall was very entertaining. I think it should have ended after 6 seasons, 7 tops, and I think they went into a direction I didn't really care for in its later seasons. But again, I still love the show and recommend it to those who want to get more into Superman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Has the best live action Lex Luthor bar none imo. I thought it did a great job of drawing on all of the Superman mythos in order to build up the character. Sucks that Welling refuses to wear the suit. But yeah Smallville helped keep the Superman franchise alive after Returns buried it. Shame we don’t have a Superman TV series right now to keep us entertained after the DCEU fiasco. I hope they put the series on DC Universe soon.
    I thought it was the shows producers and not Welling that said there would be no guy in a cape. Seems like they said that before the series even premiered.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jamgut View Post
    I thought it was the shows producers and not Welling that said there would be no guy in a cape. Seems like they said that before the series even premiered.
    The show had a "no tights/no flight" rule from the moment it developed from a Batman show to a Superman show. Now, this rule was bent (I would say broken) several times throughout its run. However, the [I]final[I] decision for Tom not to wear the suit in the final episode was Tom's himself.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I will say it's the first time we got a lot of live action versions of some characters. Like Green Arrow. Or Dr. Fate. Or Stargirl. Or Cyborg. Them not being able to use a costumed Superman (boy?) actually forced them to get creative in the later seasons.
    Assassinate Putin!

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

My favorite Clark and Lois that I've seen to date, even though I have enjoyed several others.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well there is Supergirl on TV keeping the Superman franchise alive. It pretty much has everything Superman that a Superman series would, including an occasional guest appearance by Superman himself.
    We even have Lex Luthor now, who is probably the next best Lex Luthor ever, as well as Otis and Eve Teschmacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Well there is Supergirl on TV keeping the Superman franchise alive. It pretty much has everything Superman that a Superman series would, including an occasional guest appearance by Superman himself.
    We even have Lex Luthor now, who is probably the next best Lex Luthor ever, as well as Otis and Eve Teschmacher.

I haven't been keeping up with Supergirl. They're using Otis and Eve Teschmacher? Oh, Geez. This fixation with the Donner-Superman movies has GOT to stop! It's killing the character. Even Smallville's use of the John Williams theme in the finale was unnecessary.

I don't like how everyone in charge of adapting Superman wants to keep the character stranded in 1978. I loved the Donner movies, but we have to stop trying to rehash our childhoods.

No matter what anyone says about Zack Snyder, I'll always be grateful to him for taking Superman seriously and moving away from the Donner version.