Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    367

    Default

    What's I found quite intriguing about the show since rewatching it is the amount of Pre-Crisis elements other than Clark and Lex knowing each other in Smallville, Clark meeting up with younger versions of certain heroes, that one time/episode where Lana was put in charge as editor of the school paper, even the idea that Smallville was picked as a destination for the rocket ship with baby Kal El to land via young Jor El's experience on Earth and the coordinates' signal being traced by Dr. Swan (Christopher Reeve) in the 70's sounds somewhat similar to the idea that Jor El sent a tracker to Earth with a recorded message when it landed near Albert Einstein's home, requesting the best environment for Kal El to land and be raised in from Elliot S! Maggin's Last Son Of Krypton novel.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

    Credit for avatar goes to zclark

  2. #17
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    367

    Default

    This show's version of Lionel Luther was such a great antagonist in those early seasons.
    Last edited by BBally; 04-22-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

    Credit for avatar goes to zclark

  3. #18
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Planet Houston
    Posts
    5,041

    Default

    As imperfect as it was, Smallville is still the best live action television series about Superman. The first three Seasons and the last two were very good if not overall great and the seasons in between had great moments and episodes. Plus the best live action Kent's, Lois and Lex yet (although Cryer is nearly tied with Rosenbaum at this point).

    It ran probably three seasons too long and took a lot of liberties with the lore, but I'll always have a warm place in my heart for it. Thank goodness for it, because for many years there it was the only somewhat consistent Superman material that was being put out given the quagmire of the state of the comics between 2003-2011 and of course the bitter disappointment of Superman Returns.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-11-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

  4. #19
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Planet Houston
    Posts
    5,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with Supergirl. They're using Otis and Eve Teschmacher? Oh, Geez. This fixation with the Donner-Superman movies has GOT to stop! It's killing the character. Even Smallville's use of the John Williams theme in the finale was unnecessary.

    I don't like how everyone in charge of adapting Superman wants to keep the character stranded in 1978. I loved the Donner movies, but we have to stop trying to rehash our childhoods.

    No matter what anyone says about Zack Snyder, I'll always be grateful to him for taking Superman seriously and moving away from the Donner version.
    I had little issue using the actual Williams theme for the very last scene of Clark doing the classic shirt rip/fly off. Mainly because Smallville had referenced the Williams themes several times post Season 5, and at the time, between The Donner influenced post infinite Crisis era of the comics winding down and Man of Steel having begun filming, it did feel like Warner's was finally firmly turning the page on the Donner films with the Smallville finale, so I was ok with it. Why not give that era one last nod and hurrah before moving on?

    Of course in hindsight as it turns out WB still hasn't turned the page fully. Which unfortunately I don't think they ever truly will. I'm sort of resigned to it. It's frustrating that both Batman and Wonder Woman have been able to move on from their previous live action incarnations while with Superman there's this nostalgic impulse there to shackle him to a previous live action incarnation.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

  5. #20
    Mighty Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I had little issue using the actual Williams theme for the very last scene of Clark doing the classic shirt rip/fly off. Mainly because Smallville had referenced the Williams themes several times post Season 5, and at the time, between The Donner influenced post infinite Crisis era of the comics winding down and Man of Steel having begun filming, it did feel like Warner's was finally firmly turning the page on the Donner films with the Smallville finale, so I was ok with it. Why not give that era one last nod and hurrah before moving on?

    Of course in hindsight as it turns out WB still hasn't turned the page fully. Which unfortunately I don't think they ever truly will. I'm sort of resigned to it. It's frustrating that both Batman and Wonder Woman have been able to move on from their previous live action incarnations while with Superman there's this nostalgic impulse there to shackle him to a previous live action incarnation.
    I think the problem is that Superman has not gotten the reboot he deserves, while Batman and WW did in the eyes of most. Donner and Chris Reeve did something so iconic with the character in that first movie and half, that many people just yearn for THAT feeling. Even the new animated Death of Superman got universal praise from those who have seen it, because that Superman portrayal felt true to the character. All Star Superman also got universal praise.

    I'm not saying I hate everything Snyder did with Superman, I love a lot of Man of Steel, but many don't feel that way. His take on Superman divided the fandom and wasn't fully embraced by general audiences like they did Nolan's Batman and Jenkins' WW, or James Wan's Aquaman. Aquaman who was a joke in popular culture, got the most successful movie to date. Clearly those filmmakers did something that audiences really liked, unlike Snyder with Supes.

    I think Donner Superman is so iconic, even the show Krypton and Supergirl use it as inspiration in their stories. Krypton less but they still do plenty.

  6. #21
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12,263

    Default

    Tom Welling returns to television


    ...In ARROW!

    https://www.cbr.com/arrow-season-8-tom-welling/

  7. #22
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    3,629

    Default

    He actually TURNED DOWN the chance to play Superman? He must REALLY not want to wear that costume!
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

  8. #23
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,098

    Default

    I wonder if Tom Welling will play another Earth's version of Clark Kent/Superman, sort of like how John Wesley Shipp played another Earth Barry Allen/Flash.
    Something else that would be cool is if they could get Laura Vandervoort to play the Smallville Supergirl.

  9. #24
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    U.K
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I wonder if Tom Welling will play another Earth's version of Clark Kent/Superman, sort of like how John Wesley Shipp played another Earth Barry Allen/Flash.
    Something else that would be cool is if they could get Laura Vandervoort to play the Smallville Supergirl.
    That's possible, the other thing I was wondering whilst walking earlier is whether they are actually thinking of bringing LUCIFER into the samemultiverse, isn't that where Tom Welling most recently appeared??

  10. #25
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,307

    Default

    Little Smallville Easter egg in Batman 68, the Season 11 super suit is hanging in the Fortress!

    747C0710-3780-4364-9A5F-2839F986C44A.jpg

  11. #26
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    That's possible, the other thing I was wondering whilst walking earlier is whether they are actually thinking of bringing LUCIFER into the samemultiverse, isn't that where Tom Welling most recently appeared??
    Yes, Tom Welling played Cain, from the Bible story of Cain and Abel. In this version Cain is forced to live forever after murdering Abel and poses as a police detective.

  12. #27
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Another Pre Crisis idea that Smallville used, Jonathan Kent running governmental office in Smallville was basically the last over arching storyline the Superboy comics were having before Crisis On Infinite Earths rebooted the DC Universe
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

    Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •