Default Comic storyline nods in Endgame (Spoilers)

Apart from the obvious connections to the Infinity sagas....

The "Hail Hydra" moment with Cap seems like a tip of the hat to the HydraCap storyline.

Professor Hulk wearing a black tank top seems to fit a great deal with the Merged's adaptation of that look after the dark Red, badly-fitting outfit pretty much got completely shredded during the original Gauntlet storyline. When the Professor returned during the Paul Jenkins run he also had this look (although with the addition of a man bun)

...and much has been made of course of the Hulk holding up the ruins of the compound, much like Secret Wars (The Hulk in Secret Wars was also a "smart" Hulk, although one that was largely starting to lose his grip).

The compound being destroyed sort of reminds me of the multiple times Avengers Mansion has been destroyed, although I think that's pretty much a trope at this point (Ditto with the X-mansion).

This hasn't been one I've seen around but the whole concept of the Avengers travelling through multiple eras in their history, split into different teams reminded me a lot of the late 90's Avengers Forever series. Of course the eras aren't the same, and the main story is all about Rick Jones and Kang, but the basic 'skeleton' is there. Plus it ends with a massive battle with the Avengers super-assembled from multiple timelines (against 'evil' Avengers from corrupted timelines in that case).

More speculation about what's to come than a comic inspiration but Cassie now being a teen is an easy way for Stature to show up in a future Ant-Man or Avengers movie.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

This was almost certainly a coincidence given the time frame when they were both released, but I did find it amusing that just like Endgame started with Thanos head getting chopped off, that's exactly how Infinity Wars started off too.

Stark inventing time travel is a nod to Iron Man volume 3, issue #59 by Mike Grell.

Red Skull describing Natasha as the “daughter of Ivan”

Curious: Was the Yakuza duelling Ronin a nod to some character from the Comics? Given he got about as much of a showing as Bartoc did in Winter Soldier I thought he might be someone with "a name".
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Curious: Was the Yakuza duelling Ronin a nod to some character from the Comics? Given he got about as much of a showing as Bartoc did in Winter Soldier I thought he might be someone with "a name".
    His name was Akihiko, and funnily enough, there was a Yakuza named Akihiko in the comics, but it was only in one issue of the 2017 Nick Fury series, so I would say its more likely that wasn't an intentional decision.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Professor Hulk wearing a black tank top seems to fit a great deal with the Merged's adaptation of that look after the dark Red, badly-fitting outfit pretty much got completely shredded during the original Gauntlet storyline. When the Professor returned during the Paul Jenkins run he also had this look (although with the addition of a man bun)
    Truth be told, I found this Hulk to be more like the merged Hulk during the Mantlo run in the early 80's where he held up the mountain during Secret Wars. Professor Hulk had a much snarkier and nastier attitude than we saw in this film.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Cap finding the hammer in last minute desperation was very much from Fear Itself.

His staggering walk toward Thanos was from his iconic scene in Infinity Gauntlet, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The "Hail Hydra" moment with Cap seems like a tip of the hat to the HydraCap storyline.
    The proper use of the phrase in story context and its HUGE ties to a major Marvel event were both awesome and elegant. That's the stuff I like to see in my comics/movies.

Astonishing Member

In Avengers Vol. 4 #12 (2011) Iron Man wields the Infinity Gauntlet as well.

At first, I thought the cheeseburger line at the end was a nod to Carol's call sign, but it was probably just a coincidence.

Speaking of Captain Marvel, her throwdown with Thanos reminded me a lot of this classic cover:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Captain_Marvel_Vol_1_33

and Thanos's own dusting kind of reminds me a bit of this: https://scifi.stackexchange.com/ques...inity-gauntlet
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth