Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

I do often find that being off on your own is often a lot more enjoyable than having company, especially if you just want to go off and do something that you like instead of worrying about what other people want to do. However, given our existing social norms it's impossible to shake the feeling that you're being a weird loser and that people around you are all silently judging you for it, mainly because whenever I see someone out alone I can't help but feel a little sorry for them. I do kind of wish things didn't have to be like this though, because the way our society is currently set up you are almost forced to make friends and spend time with lots of people you really don't like just to have a normal life, because there are so many basic activities like going out to dinner or watching a movie that you are expected to do with company and just feel awkward to do alone.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 04-10-2019 at 03:25 AM.

I prefer my own company, and have never had feelings of loneliness.

When I go to a movie, or out to dinner, or any other activity, I can go where I want, when I want.

Life is good!!

Quote Originally Posted by karatattoo View Post
    I prefer my own company, and have never had feelings of loneliness.

When I go to a movie, or out to dinner, or any other activity, I can go where I want, when I want.

Life is good!!
    My thoughts exactly. I usually do a lot of things alone, unless I'm with my wife. At work, I keep to myself and just concentrate on my work on my screen. I'm not really a small talk person.

I think noting that I'm a single woman gives my answer some context: I love doing things alone, and there are certain things I wish I could do alone safely.

I've also found my enjoyment of solitude is contingent on having some healthy, close companionship (be it from family or just workplace interactions) in my life. My introversion can become unhealthy without that, and I do believe that certain kinds of joy only become real when shared, as Chris McCandless wrote. "Sharing" can take the form of writing and online interaction-- but I've weaned myself off of social media because, for me, trying to curate an online personality fuels my obsessiveness in not great ways.

That said: attending movies alone is right up there with attending with a best friend, for me. I love going for a second or third time and tuning into the audience's reactions. People watching/listening in general is very enjoyable for me. Maybe because of my ADHD, I feel way less sensory overload when I'm not trying to juggle environmental awareness AND a conversation. Being alone can give you a kind of hyper-sensitivity to your environment and how people are behaving, almost a kind of invisibility in certain circumstances.

I much prefer my own company, and my own home. I would much rather watch a film at home in my library than go out to watch it at the cinema. Of course, I would prefer a cinema in my home, but whatcha gonna do?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I have resolved to doing a lot of my activities alone. Mostly because it seems I'm into "weirdo" things. So the time it would take to find link-minded people & have them turn out to be even bigger weirdo's/insufferable people would waste even more of my time.

Also, I recognize a LOT of it is my own fault. Meh.

I don't let people put their negatives onto me, because...yes, people are a-judging! I don't feel sad or lonely when I do things alone. I embrace my me-time. If someone looks at me for going to the movies or dinner alone with that sad, pathetic face, I give them a quizzical look that says "Cheer up! Don't be sad for me! I am having at least as good a time as you. And possibly even better."

I guess I have a new hobby - building. Last year I helped to remodel my parent's house, I did everything on my own and I am very pleased with my work. No one was nearby and did not interfere with my advice. That's pretty relaxing. My next thought is to make some overhaul in my place. I already found a decent toilet thanks to sanitaryreview and maybe my next move is going to be a backyard garden.