Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    According to Christopher Priest, Wallace is one of the DC characters with the most potential : https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...n-story-to-end

Specifically :

Wallace (Kid Flash) West is an even more complex relationship, a kid Slade at first exploits but then genuinely grows to care for. As I see him, Wallace holds the most volatile and dynamic potential of any DCU character, and I wish I had opportunity to explore him more. Speedsters are extremely complex characters to write because, let’s face it, they can solve most problems before the reader can turn the page.

As I see him, Wallace has the potential for both great good and great evil, and we’ve yet to know the limits of that potential. This makes for an extremely complex relationship with a guy like Slade, whom Wallace both abhors and admires, as Wallace himself presents enormous temptation to Slade to either exploit as a pawn or protect in a paternal fashion.
    Good pull on the interview, it's nice to know Priest took to Wallace so well and sees his potential. I hope one day he takes a break from his hiatus writing black led books to write a Wallace mini or maxi. Ideally after Wallace has a chance to develop and mature more.

However, I'm actually more interested in this quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Priest
    I kind of envy Adam’s opportunity to explore the consequences of Slade’s demise with Damian and especially Wallace (Kid Flash) West, who could have saved Deathstroke but chose not to. I’d further like to assure readers that Slade is, in fact, dead. But that’s far from the end of his story.
    It seems Red Arrow was right, I wonder if or how we'll see that choice explored with Wallace down the line.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-07-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    According to Christopher Priest, Wallace is one of the DC characters with the most potential : https://www.denofgeek.com/us/books/d...n-story-to-end

Specifically :
    Wallace (Kid Flash) West is an even more complex relationship, a kid Slade at first exploits but then genuinely grows to care for. As I see him, Wallace holds the most volatile and dynamic potential of any DCU character, and I wish I had opportunity to explore him more. Speedsters are extremely complex characters to write because, let’s face it, they can solve most problems before the reader can turn the page.

As I see him, Wallace has the potential for both great good and great evil, and we’ve yet to know the limits of that potential. This makes for an extremely complex relationship with a guy like Slade, whom Wallace both abhors and admires, as Wallace himself presents enormous temptation to Slade to either exploit as a pawn or protect in a paternal fashion.
    I'll be honest, I wouldn't have pegged Priest to really care much about Wallace, given his rather cynical outlook that he has (the whole "not wanting to write Blacks/Black-led books and be typecast" thing). Because of that, I'm surprised to see him so fond of both using and exploring the character. Even Priest's Slade has a weird, almost inexplicable fondness for the speedster, such that he still finds himself wanting to look after Kid Flash despite everything he's put him through (and in spite of his urge to continue using him like a pawn).

While Priest doesn't say it outright, it seems he's keenly aware of Wallace's heritage of a tragically uunstable father who had embraced darkness and villainy more than once in his life, but who ultimately chose to sacrifice himself for the sake of others in the end.

Astonishing Member

Priest doesn't want to be labelled as the guy who only writes black characters. He still actively and deliberately will include black characters in his work because he still supports the idea of giving those characters more exposure. It's certainly the reason he took interest in Wallace and Tanya, the only two characters outside the core Deathstroke Family that he brought in to the book. It was a solid move for the characters, particularly Wallace, who I've found primarily interesting only in Deathstroke so far.

Spectacular Member Grandmaster_J's Avatar

After reading issue #31. I feel like Wallace bringing back up the prison during that butt kicking was really bad timing but it made me think and start wishing for something.

I'm hoping that maybe the secret prison helps, Wallace, finally make peace with, Barry. Why? Because on one end, he's justified for not liking it, but on the other end he found himself in the same position Barry is in whenever he gets mad that he doesn't tell him and others the truth or tough news right away. That of which causes his own tantrums that he got mad at, Crush, about last issue. Hopefully he realizes his own hypocrisy, and understand that you don't just immediately start telling and blabbing out tough news because it's not always that simple. I know it's a reach and most likely won't be brought up whenever they speak again but two fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster_J View Post
    After reading issue #31. I feel like Wallace bringing back up the prison during that butt kicking was really bad timing but it made me think and start wishing for something.

I'm hoping that maybe the secret prison helps, Wallace, finally make peace with, Barry. Why? Because on one end, he's justified for not liking it, but on the other end he found himself in the same position Barry is in whenever he gets mad that he doesn't tell him and others the truth or tough news right away. That of which causes his own tantrums that he got mad at, Crush, about last issue. Hopefully he realizes his own hypocrisy, and understand that you don't just immediately start telling and blabbing out tough news because it's not always that simple. I know it's a reach and most likely won't be brought up whenever they speak again but two fingers crossed.
    The timing felt natural considering the whole Deathstroke/prison just happened, felt like the usual story conflict timing kinda deal. I could be wrong, but I think that scene is positioning it so they might have Kid Flash take the lead for a while, similar to how Aqualad took command in Young Justice, once this whole Lobo situation is all squared away.

I think next time Wallace sees Barry they'll be on better terms for the exact reasons you pointed out. Since leaving Barry he's made plenty of mistakes, he's been mentored by Deathstroke (even though that didn't help last time he saw Barry), he's matured as a hero and now with the death of Deathstroke and this secret prison situation, I think Wallace has finally reached a point where he's learned how complicated this hero stuff is and will give Barry some slack. My only worry is that Williamson will ignore Wallace's progression and still have him have continue to be angsty and annoying. I love Williamson but he has made me seriously doubt he has it in him to write Wallace well, so if they do reconcile hopefully he can turn it around for me; or at least I hope someone else can have Wallace and Barry reconcile, so he doesn't have that tension to fall back on.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    The timing felt natural considering the whole Deathstroke/prison just happened, felt like the usual story conflict timing kinda deal. I could be wrong, but I think that scene is positioning it so they might have Kid Flash take the lead for a while, similar to how Aqualad took command in Young Justice, once this whole Lobo situation is all squared away.

I think next time Wallace sees Barry they'll be on better terms for the exact reasons you pointed out. Since leaving Barry he's made plenty of mistakes, he's been mentored by Deathstroke (even though that didn't help last time he saw Barry), he's matured as a hero and now with the death of Deathstroke and this secret prison situation, I think Wallace has finally reached a point where he's learned how complicated this hero stuff is and will give Barry some slack. My only worry is that Williamson will ignore Wallace's progression and still have him have continue to be angsty and annoying. I love Williamson but he has made me seriously doubt he has it in him to write Wallace well, so if they do reconcile hopefully he can turn it around for me; or at least I hope someone else can have Wallace and Barry reconcile, so he doesn't have that tension to fall back on.
    I don't see a reason to believe that Williamson would that. He was writing Wallace very well for the first fifty or so issues of the series. Wallace had the angsty moment after the situation with his father, but that was pretty understandable. I feel like the only reason Wallace was written off was to accommodate what Glass was trying to do with Teen Titans. It happens in shared universe. But we know Wallace is coming back to the title in the next arc anyway.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I don't see a reason to believe that Williamson would that. He was writing Wallace very well for the first fifty or so issues of the series. Wallace had the angsty moment after the situation with his father, but that was pretty understandable. I feel like the only reason Wallace was written off was to accommodate what Glass was trying to do with Teen Titans. It happens in shared universe. But we know Wallace is coming back to the title in the next arc anyway.
    First 50? I wouldn't say that. He wrote him pretty boringly as the usual delinquent teen with attitude when he first popped up, when he got his powers and became Kid Flash them were some bright spots but he was mainly either angsty or uninteresting. How many times can we fall back on the "you lied to me!? Wahhh!!" trope? He is consistently the one character that's never gets over that. Williamson's run on the Flash has been great but he has easily had the least compelling take on Wallace out of the main writers to take on the character.

currently following:

How would folks here do the character, if they had a chance to reboot him? I feel like his origins are so tangled up. Wish he'd gotten a fresh start when they did the retcons (timing issues, etc.). I've only read a little with him. Read his first issue and quite annoyed that his mother played so little role, even in his thoughts. Did we ever even learn the woman's name or if she was for sure dead? I feel like mothers get the short end of the stick when it comes to shaping or motivating or playing in part in a hero's life compared to fathers. It's been a while since I read it, though. Maybe I'm misremembering and he did care about her. I would definitely have more about his mom, relationship with that custodial parent, etc. And give the woman a name.

And, on the other hand, without a full retcon, where would you take him now?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 06-22-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    How would folks here do the character, if they had a chance to reboot him? I feel like his origins are so tangled up. Wish he'd gotten a fresh start when they did the retcons (timing issues, etc.). I've only read a little with him. Read his first issue and quite annoyed that his mother played so little role, even in his thoughts. Did we ever even learn the woman's name or if she was for sure dead? I feel like mothers get the short end of the stick when it comes to shaping or motivating or playing in part in a hero's life compared to fathers. It's been a while since I read it, though. Maybe I'm misremembering and he did care about her. I would definitely have more about his mom, relationship with that custodial parent, etc. And give the woman a name.

Honestly I wouldn't make him related to Barry.

Honestly I wouldn't make him related to Barry.
    Well, technically related to Iris. Of course, because they were trying to make him Wally, which was a terrible idea. They could get away with for Jason on COIE because he was a newish character with copycat history and not much of fanbase (as I understand it). And was visually interchangeable (seriously, first version dyed his hair - kinda creepy). Wally was a major character that had his own title and a 50-year history.

I can live with the retcon of two nephews named Wallace. Keeping his middle name after they changed dads, though...

If we were to reboot would keep his relation to Iris, I like the idea of the West-Allen clan having this quasi-dynasty type connection to the speedforce, and, shallow as it may sound, I dig the novelty of a person of color in the mix. I would, however, make it a maternal connection, still the same cousin connection, same name Wallace (I like the Wallace/Wally name situation now, it's grown on me) but have his mom be the West and give him other last name; it could be the same W-W alliteration or not, so long as it has a nice ring to it. My pitch? Wallace Marsellus, for even the faintest of film fans (because who doesn't love a good pulp fiction reference?). Then let him be Kid Flash and one day, when his character grows and truly earns his own hero name, make him XS and have him be the inspiration for Barry's granddaughter taking the name in the far future.

Sans a reboot, iunno if fine with his current set up, I'm interested to see where he's going as Kid Flash. I would like to see more shades of Deathstroke in his character, I always found his relationship with Wallace interesting and I wish we could see touches of Slade that rubbed off on him. I'm fine with his origin tho. It's not perfect but it doesn't bother me and I don't think about it much.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 06-22-2019 at 06:55 PM.

currently following:

Spectacular Member

I don't know to keep it similar to the the history he already has I guess instead of him being biologically related to Iris, she could be his guardian. Set it up that his missing mom had a close relation to Iris where she was even his godmother. Whatever happens to his mother happens and Iris takes him in due to her familiarity with him. Bang, Wally no longer has to have his history removed and Iris gets some history added. Wally and Wallace never even have to have met each other before and the name similarity is just a coincidence. Could also have part of his development has him and Iris seeing each other as a child and mother figure respectively.

Ultimate Member

I would probably go check the DC archives for an already existing black kid. Especially in the Flash's history. The reason why I would do that is because of ownership. Why waste time on a new person for DC to own and treat worst than OG Wally (among others).

I want someone already around. And for this case I would use someone from Steel's old series-Tyke (not sure if that name is right) he was a kid crippled in a storyline in Steel. He was last seen being taken by villains and that was it as Priest took over and got rid of everyone not named Natasha or Steel.

He appears as a kid in a wheelchair at school as Barry is talking to the students about something or another. We later see Tyke as an artificial speedster commit a crime. Long story short-Tyke gets his real Flash powers like Wally did.

If I could not do that...

Wallace meets Barry (no crime involve) under some spend a day with the police department as good will towards the community. Barry keeps vanishing because of rogues and Wallace SLOWLY (lets say over 2 arcs) figures out Barry & Flash as the same. We see Wally with his mom and by ACCIDENT see him with his father. Who he does not know is a villain. Wallace figures out who Barry is and his Dad over hears him. Dad uses son to get at Flash and an accident happens that takes out Mom, gives Wally powers and so forth. Barry KNOWS he can't let Wallace be alone with powers so he forges (or call a favor to Bruce-who can somehow allow parent-less kids to be around him-Duke) and becomes his legal guardian.

Now we have Batman, Superman & Flash with kids. Now if we can get WW & Cyborg one-we can have a junior Justice League.

I was keeping more of current history than that, but maybe I'm not rebooting enough. I was thinking of maybe keeping the criminal dad he doesn't know is criminal, Daniel West. Middle-class mother (I thought maybe billing clerk, making 38k a year in Central City - I like researching jobs and salaries, what can I say, which is a low cost of living city like Kansas City). She was involved with the dad when she was younger, but the relationship ended (don't care if ever married) when Wallace was young, and doesn't know the extent of his criminal nature (unsure if she knew of smaller stuff in past or completely ignorant). He visits and is the fun dad, but doesn't live local. Similar event putting Wallace into Iris' custody, but instead of criminal delinquent, Wallace is a deeply hurting child who wants his mother and he is angry about losing her in a very normal way. He resents being here. He gets the speed powers, but hides them. Starts building relationship with Barry and Iris (who have been married for a long time - per their silver age selves). Not sure on timeline to finding out each other's powers. Wallace still searches for his mother, though Iris and Barry try to temper his hopes, but tell him they will do whatever they can (they checked all hospitals, etc. when they first got custody and found out she was missing and no luck, even with Barry's superspeed to check every face). Identity reveal would be fraught with emotion, but ultimately a sort of acknowledgement that both sides kept this a secret from the other. I'd probably have Wallace tell them, as a symbol of his growing trust and closeness to them. Between one and two years after he comes to live with them, he finds his mother. Is able to heal her (unsure if speed force issue or needs to pull in Wayne Enterprises funding to make it happen). She also lives with Barry and Iris a while, until she can get another job, get back on her feet, etc. Wallace will tell her about himself, but not Barry.

I like happy ending and want the kid to get his mom back (like I said, I haven't read much, but thought there was no body, and that means no sure death to me in comic book land). I'd have Colton Rivera help come up with a way to save Duke Thomas' parents, too.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    First 50? I wouldn't say that. He wrote him pretty boringly as the usual delinquent teen with attitude when he first popped up, when he got his powers and became Kid Flash them were some bright spots but he was mainly either angsty or uninteresting. How many times can we fall back on the "you lied to me!? Wahhh!!" trope? He is consistently the one character that's never gets over that. Williamson's run on the Flash has been great but he has easily had the least compelling take on Wallace out of the main writers to take on the character.
    Completely disagree. It was Williamson that made me really love Wallace as a character. The Christmas date issue was one of my favorites of Williamson's run. I just want Wallace to be a regular in the book again.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers