Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Darla (both kid and adult versions) were so good, that now I want to see a Darla movie!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Darla (both kid and adult versions) were so good, that now I want to see a Darla movie!

Am I the only one that wants to see more of the race of wizards? Having him be the last of his kind was such a waste.

For people who know more about the comics, is billy bats shazam just a champion or will he ever be able to gain the magical powers of the wizard that died? That dude was casting seeker spells and seemed to have a vast array of hidden knowledge and spells. I want to see more of that aspect of DC, but it's like that avenue was burnt off with his death.

In the comics, the spirit of the Wizard Shazam still lives in the Rock of Eternity as a kind of Force Ghost. In the movie they didn't make a big deal of that rock, but it would have been there with the wizard and all the seven deadly sins. So I assume the wizard's spirit is still around and will make other appearances.

Whats really cool is that the cave is the family's actual lair. From that place, they get access to several other locations that I'm sure will be explored in other movies.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I think I've got a new favorite DCEU movie. This was an absolute blast! Fairly complex hero, nice supporting cast, believable villain, great humor, cool action.....more!

DCEU...you finally got a real winner. [insert slow clap gif here]

Did the Greek/Roman/Bible God/Hero/King bother anyone else? My roommates were bitching about it, a few podcasters really were annoyed by it, some nerd at work asked me what I thought.

There was a time I hated that kind of sloppiness, but funnybook writers of the 1930s can be forgiven a lot. It’s a vestigial element of a simpler time, like that silly white cape. That said, I *did* waste some time making a better multicultural acronym.

What bothers me most is that terribly uneven lightning bolt symbol. I’m SURE costume designers did a multitude of logo variations that ended up on the floor. Would love to see them.

Retired

I prefer the classic lightning bolt--looks good on a T-shirt. But they needed a functional lightning bolt on his chest.

It seems late to be complaining about the odd combination of characters in S.H.A.Z.A.M. But then I've been living with this reality a lot longer than others. It kind of bugged me way back when, but never a lot. The combination of names tells you something about the long life and the adventurs of the old wizard. I assume he met each of the gods and heroes at different times (and signed the necessary contracts with them to use their powers).

By the names, I'd assume he met Atlas, then Zeus, then Hercules, then Achilles, then Solomon and finally Mercury. In Greek mythology, Atlas comes before Zeus, Hercules is the son of Zeus and Achilles comes a generation later. Solomon is maybe a hundred years after that (give or take). Mercury has to be last met--even though Hermes existed around the time of Hercules--given he's called by the Roman name, dating to the time of the Roman Republic (6th C BCE).

Yeah I mean changing it now would be a bit silly, and result in a very different character.

As for the movie, I’m glad they barely dwelled in it, as it would be a lot of unnecessary history/world-building.

Just saw it. I think when it was good, it was better than either Aquaman or Captain Marvel. All 3 movies seemed to drag in the latter portion for me. The ending battles feel repetitive.

I enjoyed the extended Marvel family but can’t say I’m anxious to see them in every movie. It would have to be a serious threat for them to show up again for me. I’m not up on current Shazam lore as I haven’t read a comic with him in over 20 yrs but I enjoyed the story. Solid 7 out of 10. Maybe higher when I see it at home.
    Last edited by Jon-El; 04-14-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Retired

They should have a SHAZAM! cartoon series. The premise is ideal for an animated show. On the DC Universe streaming service? Maybe not, because it seems like everything on there is aimed at an adult audience and not family friendly.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    They should have a SHAZAM! cartoon series. The premise is ideal for an animated show. On the DC Universe streaming service? Maybe not, because it seems like everything on there is aimed at an adult audience and not family friendly.
    It seems criminal that in eighty years, the SHAZAM! franchise has hosted only *one* animated series (by Filmation in the early 1980s), and it lasted for only twelve episodes.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Problem is, the only other option is to make it like Teen Titans Go on Cartoon Network, and I have no interest in Shazam! Go!

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

enjoyed it. Didnt know if they were going to go Marvel Fam in the first movie, but it was cool.

My only issue is an OP set up for the sequel. I dont know much about the comics as I dont read Shazam/Capt. Marvel. I reckon the others are not as powerful as Billy but you still have a slew of lil Shazams running around, so who is going to match up? I imagine there would be some thing that strips them of their powers, yadda yadda but that seems predictable and boring to me

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Problem is, the only other option is to make it like Teen Titans Go on Cartoon Network, and I have no interest in Shazam! Go!
    The funny thing was, I didn't have a clue about the caterpillar beyond a google search until Go did a Shazam episode with him.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Captain Marvel has had some pretty impressive showings on other animated series, though, like Justice League Unlimited and Batman: The Brave and the Bold.