-
    -
    -
    C- Man of Steel
    D+ Justuce league,Suicide Squad
    -
    -
    -
    F - Batman v Superman for the movie making itself such a chore to watch.

Like Shazam but I'm so tired of these unrealistic bullies in movie. I mean they hit a crippled kid with a car and spit on a baby. These arent bullies they are potential serial killers. IT and some other movies are guilty of this too. Take me out the those scenes. I mean I bought Shazam and the magic more then I bought into those bullies.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 04-07-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Dwayne Johnson thanking the fans for making Shazam #1 at the box office, as well as why Black Adam is being saved for a solo film.

BANNED

I liked it a bit better than Aquaman, but a lot less than Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Dwayne Johnson thanking the fans for making Shazam #1 at the box office, as well as why Black Adam is being saved for a solo film.
    Good to see hes still so invested he basically brought this to life. I'm sure his name being attached carried this through development hell for the last 10years. Did like the little Black Adam magic vision cameo. Wish they woulda made it more realistic looking and gave the Rock a cameo. But yea I'm excited to see a movie in ancient Egypt with Black Adam. I assume Shazam will banish him to another dimension at the end and then Sivan and Mr mind or whatever the caterpillars name is are gonna bring him back to take down the MARVEL family. Hopefuly he becomes more Namor then straight up villian. Let him rule Khandaq and only play the bas guy when people come into conflict with Khandaq

Ranking them I have Shazam and Wonder Woman about level. Then a couple notches below them Aquaman. Then I don't even consider the rest.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 04-07-2019 at 04:53 PM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Retired

After seeing SHAZAM! for the second time, I'd rank the Worlds of DC movies like so:
    WONDER WOMAN
    AQUAMAN
    SHAZAM!
    JUSTICE LEAGUE
    SUICIDE SQUAD
    BATMAN V SUPERMAN
    MAN OF STEEL

But I liked all of these movies. However the top 3 are much better executed than the others. WW is the movie that moves me the most, while AQUAMAN impresses me with its look and its action. SHAZAM! is pretty good at doing a real super-hero movie. Most of the comic book movies try to do something else, to escape being strictly a super-hero pic, but SHAZAM! embraces the concept of super-heroes.

Mighty Member

SHAZAM
    AQUAMAN
    WONDER WOMAN
    MAN OF STEEL

The other 3 tie for last.

Fantastic Member

Shazam's performance seems to have improved quite a bit from early predictions this weekend and it looks to be a fairly solid success (decent profit but nothing record breaking). The WW total so far (OS and NA) appears to be in the $158M range.

Fantastic Member

I'd give this movie an 8/10. I've read some criticisms of the movie which I think are valid. There does seem to be a lack of stakes for most of the movie, but I'm not sure that matters. It is a movie about family first and foremost. My biggest criticism is the casting of Grace Fulton as Mary. I have nothing against Grace as an actress, but I think the director should have cast a teenager to play a teenager, and Grace is clearly not a teenager.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I loved it. A fun family film with a lot of heart.

And John Glover has now been involved in four media versions of the DC universe--Batman: TAS (Riddler), Batman and Robin (the mad scientist who created Bane), Smallville (Lionel Luthor) and now Sivana's father.

Ranking DCEU hands down Shazam is my favorite entry.

Aquaman is number 2 really loved it on first viewing I mean the visuals alone were worth the ticket price and that was my issue on second viewing it felt crammed like they could had cut some stuff and saved for sequels.

Wonder Woman is 3 really enjoyed it but never found too great in truth I liked the 2009 animated film more but a solid film and enjoyable watch.

Justice League is 4 a mess of a film but I liked the characters which got me threw it and made it enjoyable.

Suicide Squad is 5 another mess this is going to become a theme but I enjoyed some of the characters which made it an ok watch except the music went from fun and quirky to annoying fast.

BvS is 6 and I mean the Ultimate Cut which improves many of the theatrical cuts storyline problems still has issues but nothing that ruins the film I just didn't enjoy it much and only really liked it because of the cool Batman scenes.

Man of Steel is my number 7 I must emphasis this is personal taste and MoS is a better movie than BvS, Justice League, and Suicide Squad but I just hated the story and characters and Superman is my favorite DC character but really disliked him in this film which was a shame because Cavill was great casting.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I loved it. A fun family film with a lot of heart.

And John Glover has now been involved in four media versions of the DC universe--Batman: TAS (Riddler), Batman and Robin (the mad scientist who created Bane), Smallville (Lionel Luthor) and now Sivana's father.
    For the record, Glover played Dr. Jason Woodrue in Batman and Robin (an Atom villain who would later become Floronic Man/Plant Master in the comics and join the Secret Society of Super-Villains).

As far as Shazam's estimated opening weekend box office is concerned...

Box office Mojo is comparing Shazam's opening to Ant-Man (2015). Ant-Man went on to a $180 million domestic and $519 worldwide overall.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4501&p=.htm

Shazam is now at an estiamted $56.8 million domestic and $158.8 million worldwide. Mojo is giving an early forecast that Shazam might top out at $160 million domestic.

As much as I would want to see Shazam do a lot better than Ant-Man, in an earlier post I did mention that since Shazam's budget is about half of Aquaman's, if it can get to half Aquaman's total, it should be at about the same level of profitability.

By that metric, $575 million worldwide by the end of its run is the number to look out for to be considered an Aquaman-level success. So, it would seem that anything over $500 million worldwide would make Warners happy even if it's not Aquaman-level happy.

Going back to Ant-Man, it should also be noted that Shazam even has a lower budget than that movie. Ant-Man had a production cost of $130 million.

I hope that if Shazam does hit $500 million, then that will convince Warners to pipeline other moderately budgeted DC movies. Not every property can support a $200 million budget, and this way, we'll get more obscure-but-interesting properties into the cinemas.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 04-08-2019 at 06:32 AM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    For the record, Glover played Dr. Jason Woodrue in Batman and Robin (an Atom villain who would later become Floronic Man/Plant Master in the comics and join the Secret Society of Super-Villains).
    Ah, thanks! I couldn't remember if they had named his character in B&R.

Retired

It seems like a waste of all that acting talent that the Shazamily only get a few scenes at the end of the movie. For the sake of surprise, I realize they couldn't get more of a spotlight. Hopefully they filmed extra scenes for the DVD.

Zack Snyder might be right about not bothering with end credit scenes. Nobody watches them. For all the DC movies that had them--JUSTICE LEAGUE, AQUAMAN and SHAZAM! the bulk of the audience left before the movie ever got around to them, at the showings where I was at. Yesterday, I and three other people were the only ones left in the theatre to see the talking to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

As far as Shazam's estimated opening weekend box office is concerned...

Box office Mojo is comparing Shazam's opening to Ant-Man (2015). Ant-Man went on to a $180 million domestic and $519 worldwide overall.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4501&p=.htm

Shazam is now at an estiamted $56.8 million domestic and $158.8 million worldwide. Mojo is giving an early forecast that Shazam might top out at $160 million domestic.

As much as I would want to see Shazam do a lot better than Ant-Man, in an earlier post I did mention that since Shazam's budget is about half of Aquaman's, if it can get to half Aquaman's total, it should be at about the same level of profitability.

By that metric, $575 million worldwide by the end of its run is the number to look out for to be considered an Aquaman-level success. So, it would seem that anything over $500 million worldwide would make Warners happy even if it's not Aquaman-level happy.

Going back to Ant-Man, it should also be noted that Shazam even has a lower budget than that movie. Ant-Man had a production cost of $130 million.

I hope that if Shazam does hit $500 million, then that will convince Warners to pipeline other moderately budgeted DC movies. Not every property can support a $200 million budget, and this way, we'll get more obscure-but-interesting properties into the cinemas.
    I'm quite pleased that it's done Ant-Man numbers. Ant-Man was a sleeper hit, even by Marvel standards. While folks expected it to do well, the other thing it built up was a lot of goodwill, which is what Shazam also did, too. That goes a long way for a new franchise.