Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Did the Greek/Roman/Bible God/Hero/King bother anyone else? My roommates were bitching about it, a few podcasters really were annoyed by it, some nerd at work asked me what I thought.

There was a time I hated that kind of sloppiness, but funnybook writers of the 1930s can be forgiven a lot. It’s a vestigial element of a simpler time, like that silly white cape. That said, I *did* waste some time making a better multicultural acronym.

What bothers me most is that terribly uneven lightning bolt symbol. I’m SURE costume designers did a multitude of logo variations that ended up on the floor. Would love to see them.
    Just think of SHAZAM as the precursor (and much more effective version) of that inane COEXIST sign. Nice intention, you get what they're going for, but ultimately feel-good meaningless without the willpower to actually see it through.

And, the overanalyzing part of me connects it further with how much attention the Wizard Shazam had to pay towards finding the right champion. Just as how not just any soccer mom that wants to speak to your manager will live up to the COEXIST bumper sticker on her Subaru, not just any mortal would be right for the powers of SHAZAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Just think of SHAZAM as the precursor (and much more effective version) of that inane COEXIST sign. Nice intention, you get what they're going for, but ultimately feel-good meaningless without the willpower to actually see it through.

And, the overanalyzing part of me connects it further with how much attention the Wizard Shazam had to pay towards finding the right champion. Just as how not just any soccer mom that wants to speak to your manager will live up to the COEXIST bumper sticker on her Subaru, not just any mortal would be right for the powers of SHAZAM.
    But it was funny how "you are not worthy!" at the beginning of the movie with Sivana turned into "you'll do" when Billy finds his way in there. The Wizard Shazam had this giant idealized search for the perfect one to take over his powers but when the **** really hit the fan he just threw caution to the winds and settled for Billy. And he didn't really give him very good instructions about it either!

Much like how the guy with the COEXIST bumper sticker will become just another bitter-ass tailgater if he's behind a slow enough car.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

I would have liked it if a big block of stone was hanging by a thread above the wizard and then dropped on him, totally crushing him. Maybe eventually the Shazam family will discover that they can bring back his spirit by lighting a brazier in their lare.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Captain Marvel has had some pretty impressive showings on other animated series, though, like Justice League Unlimited and Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
    None of which can survive on the current Cartoon Network. I really can't see how we can get a good Shazam cartoon right now. Best bet would just be an animated movie for the time being I guess. Maybe the next LEGO DC Superheroes movie could introduce him to that continuity. I mean the last two were Flash and Aquaman movies, why not Shazam?

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    None of which can survive on the current Cartoon Network. I really can't see how we can get a good Shazam cartoon right now. Best bet would just be an animated movie for the time being I guess. Maybe the next LEGO DC Superheroes movie could introduce him to that continuity. I mean the last two were Flash and Aquaman movies, why not Shazam?
    Well, there is still the DC Universe streaming service, but that's behind a paywall and won't introduce the character to kids unless their parents are already DC fans (enough to be aware of the service and willing to pay for it, that is).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    They should have a SHAZAM! cartoon series. The premise is ideal for an animated show. On the DC Universe streaming service? Maybe not, because it seems like everything on there is aimed at an adult audience and not family friendly.
    I think it's entirely possible that a Shazam animated series could end up on the DCUSS.

Yes, their original programming seems to be going for a PG-13 to R rating, but according to Wikipedia:

"At launch, the service included the four Christopher Reeve Superman films, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, animated television series Batman: The Animated Series, Static Shock, Young Justice, Teen Titans, Batman Beyond, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, and Justice League, live-action television series Lois & Clark and Wonder Woman, the latter remastered in high-definition, and animated films including Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, Green Lantern: First Flight, and Wonder Woman, among others. Content is updated on a monthly basis.

The service recently added the 1970s live-action series Shazam!."

So, DCUSS is also providing a lot of content that is very family-friendly -- including the 1970s live action Shazam series!

I just wish they would add the Shazam cartoon from 1981. It and the Superboy cartoon from 1966 are the only 2 animated series from DC that Warners hasn't yet released on DVD.

If we could get a Shazam animated series by the same team that does Young Justice, that would really be fantastic. I think it would go a long way to making the Shazam world a fan favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Since apparently they cannot use Captain Marvel they should use the knock Off name DC created in the 1970s Captain Thunder.
    I agree 100%
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    My only issue is an OP set up for the sequel. I dont know much about the comics as I dont read Shazam/Capt. Marvel. I reckon the others are not as powerful as Billy but you still have a slew of lil Shazams running around, so who is going to match up?
    lil Black Adams?

OK, we now have BOX OFFICE ACTUALS for weekend 2 of Shazam.

Going in to the weekend, the estimate from various websites was from $22-25 million, and when the actuals came in, they were in this range.

Shazam grossed $24,453,514 from Friday to Sunday, a drop of 54.3% from last weekend. An OK hold, but not great. This likely means that even though everyone who saw the movie really liked it, the word of mouth isn't convincing those who dismissed the movie out of hand as something they wouldn't want to see. The 2nd weekend drop is about normal for this type of front-loaded movie.

Shazam's domestic total now stands at $94,226,527. Would have been nice to see it go over $100 million by this point.

Internationally, Shazam added about $36 million, so its global total stands at $258,326,527.

The good news is that Shazam has surpassed Dumbo's domestic take as Dumbo stands at $90,163,704 after its 3rd weekend. Likewise, Pet Sematary also dropped a bunch and stands at $40,866,867 domestically after its second weekend.

This weekend, New Line Cinema will be competing with itself as its horror movie The Curse of La Llorona opens Friday. We may see New Line own the top 2 spots with Curse and Shazam.

However, it does appear that Shazam will only get to around $125 million before Avengers: Endgame opens. It'll be interesting to see if the increased foot traffic at theaters drives people who can't get into Endgame into Shazam.

I just think it takes a lot to get the average person out to the theater. I saw SHAZAM yesterday and when the Avengers trailer came on, I heard someone say, “Shhh here it is”. People are so invested in those films. I just don’t think any movie would do better without being a Marvel film. SHAZAM is just a warm up for the main event I guess.

For the record, I saw it with a pretty decent crowd and everyone seemed to enjoy the movie.

Depending on what happens with Endgame, I may end up going back and seeing Shazam to feel more positive again. As much as I liked watching Infinity War, for instance, its not been a movie I ever want to watch again (with the exception of some funny clips).

I watched it again (third time) with family on Saturday. My sister had no interest in seeing it, but I asked her to see it with me; I had a hunch she would really like it for the foster family themes because she was one of those kids during part of her life; we were orphans very young but I was older when mom died. I didn't have to be in a foster home, but she did. She enjoyed the movie very much. She kept laughing in all the right places and was thrilled with all the scary scenes. She told me it was a really good movie. She loved the ending.

My 9-year-old niece and her friend also liked it, but she was upset when she couldn't see Superman's face. She said it wasn't fair. She yelled "Superman!" when he showed up.

I think people had no big interest in this movie because it looked like a comedy for kids, but the movie is much more than that, imo. It also has big heart and important messages about family and what it means to be a hero.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 04-16-2019 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I watched it again (third time) with family on Saturday. My sister had no interest in seeing it, but I asked her to see it with me; I had a hunch she would really like it for the foster family themes because she was one of those kids during part of her life; we were orphans very young but I was older when mom died. I didn't have to be in a foster home, but she did. She enjoyed the movie very much. She kept laughing in all the right places and was thrilled with all the scary scenes. She told me it was a really good movie. She loved the ending.

My 9-year-old niece and her friend also liked it, but she was upset when she couldn't see Superman's face. She said it wasn't fair. She yelled "Superman!" when he showed up.

I think people had no big interest in this movie because it looked like a comedy for kids, but the movie is much more than that, imo. It also has big heart and important messages about family and what it means to be a hero.
    I think the ads and promos did the movie a disservice.

The trailers played up the comedy, and the posters just showed Zach blowing bubbles & playing with an I-Phone.

If I didn't already know the character and what the movie could be about, I don't think there would be too much there that would scream "must-see" to me.

I think fewer shots of bubble gum and slurpees and more focus on the action would have made for a better marketing campaign.

The only thing I would have added to the trailers for Shazam would be the Seven Deadly Sins. Not sure why they kept those out of the trailer in the first place, since they were such a big part of the plot. But that would have set up the serious more adult side of the movie alot better than one tiny grimace from Sivana did.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Can't they just release it for that DC streaming service like young justice?