Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Can't they just release it for that DC streaming service like young justice?
    They could - but both the audience and the budget for a show on such a niche streaming service will be a lot smaller. Notice how the animation for YJ is less polished than the first two seasons. And you know they probably spent a lot more on a known and proven fan favorite like Young Justice than an unknown like Shazam will get. Just saying, there's no good spot at the moment for a really good, decent budget Shazam right now. But if the streaming service turns out to be a success and earns a lot of money in the next few years? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    They could - but both the audience and the budget for a show on such a niche streaming service will be a lot smaller. Notice how the animation for YJ is less polished than the first two seasons. And you know they probably spent a lot more on a known and proven fan favorite like Young Justice than an unknown like Shazam will get. Just saying, there's no good spot at the moment for a really good, decent budget Shazam right now. But if the streaming service turns out to be a success and earns a lot of money in the next few years? Maybe.

I think Warners would be MORE inclined to spend the money -- even extra money -- on Shazam right now and give it a higher budget than YJ if necessary. Right now, Shazam is not an "unknown." Shazam is the number one movie in the entire world right now. I think a lot more people know Shazam than Young Justice.

Having a Shazam series in between movies could only help stoke demand for the sequel. It could also do the heavy lifting in terms of fleshing out Shazam's world and the backstories of all of its characters -- something the movies can only touch upon.

It would also be good for the DCUSS to have a property that's in the public eye right now to help sell the service. I don't see a lot of non-comics fans falling all over themselves to watch a Doom Patrol, Stargirl, or even Swamp Thing series.

There definitely needs to be more synergy between DC Films and DC Streaming.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 04-17-2019 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I think Warners would be MORE inclined to spend the money -- even extra money -- on Shazam right now and give it a higher budget than YJ if necessary. Right now, Shazam is not an "unknown." Shazam is the number one movie in the entire world right now. I think a lot more people know Shazam than Young Justice.

Having a Shazam series in between movies could only help stoke demand for the sequel. It could also do the heavy lifting in terms of fleshing out Shazam's world and the backstories of all of its characters -- something the movies can only touch upon.

It would also be good for the DCUSS to have a property that's in the public eye right now to help sell the service. I don't see a lot of non-comics fans falling all over themselves to watch a Doom Patrol, Stargirl, or even Swamp Thing series.

I agree, plus almost everyone who has seen Shazam movie loves or likes it a lot. If they do a cartoon series with that tone and heart (family and kid friendly), it could be a success as long as the writing is good and the animation solid.

Shazam is more visible now in the eye of mainstream audiences than YJ or any of those new shows in the DCU app, IMO. They could even have guest from the larger DCU like Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Aquaman, etc.

I saw advertising for the app before my theater showing last Saturday, so that can help to spread the word on these shows.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 04-17-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I think Warners would be MORE inclined to spend the money -- even extra money -- on Shazam right now and give it a higher budget than YJ if necessary. Right now, Shazam is not an "unknown." Shazam is the number one movie in the entire world right now. I think a lot more people know Shazam than Young
    Really? Then why is almost every other post in some Shazam related threads about how little it is making when compared to Wonder Woman and Aquaman? Don't get me wrong, all the reviews are awesome and everyone who watches it likes it, but it isn't exactly making enough money to set WB's world on fire as I understand it. A success yes, but a moderate one.

Plus how many more people know of Shazam right now doesn't matter - the DC streaming service isn't exactly well known among the general audience, mostly being a fan thing. People who enjoyed the movie aren't likely to know the streaming service exists, whether it has a Shazam cartoon or not.

Not really, there's not as much overlap between television and films as you think. A cartoon isn't going to stoke anyone up for the next movie. That's what the trailers and marketing for the next movie are for. Movies have a much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much larger audience than a DC streaming service cartoon ever will, and believe me, I'm probably being conservative on the word much.

The DCUSS would do better to try and get in the public eye first, never mind what property they have. Honestly, they would have done so much more for the service not with a Shazam cartoon, but a freaking ad or promo hyping up the DCUSS in the theater before Shazam came on. Let the world know they exist.

I'm not saying they can't, won't, or shouldn't make a Shazam cartoon, because like you and every other superhero loving cartoon watching fan here I want them to do it, I'm just saying that if we wait a couple years for the service to (hopefully) take off financially and Shazam 2 to (hopefully) take the moderate success of the first film and do The Dark Knight numbers with it, we'd probably get a better cartoon. Let DCUSS actually prove itself first, and the property to be as financially successful as it is a success with the critics, and we might luck into something amazing. Whereas right now I'm too afraid we might get a short lived, shoddily animated effort, and do we really want that?

(Again, I don't think there's enough subscribers yet for DCUSS to spend extra on any animation, no matter how big a hit the movie is or isn't, so it'd be only as polished as season three of Young Justice, which is serviceable but still a visual step down.)

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I saw advertising for the app before my theater showing last Saturday, so that can help to spread the word on these shows.
    Huh, I don't remember any such ad at my theater.

They've already added the 1970s Shazam/Isis live action TV series to the DC streaming service, as of last month. I think that foreshadows a new Shazam series thats yet to come.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    They've already added the 1970s Shazam/Isis live action TV series to the DC streaming service, as of last month. I think that foreshadows a new Shazam series thats yet to come.
    Not really. It's an old series, they're trying to stuff the service with everything they can, and there's a movie out. It would be weird of them not to release the old series regardless of whether they decide to make a cartoon or not. Even if they make a cartoon, no way would I believe releasing the old show was any kind of foreshadowing without some conclusive evidence.

Not trying to be a downer here, but I believe belief and optimism with no supporting evidence is just getting your hopes up needlessly. There's been no word on a Wonder Woman or Aquaman cartoon yet, and both of their movies have had better financial success than Shazam's, so why are people feeling so confident now that he's likely to get a cartoon now?

Retired

I wonder if the DC Universe will make it possible for people to buy a series (such as DOOM PATROL) as a digital release, or even a DVD (but it seems like DVDs are going out of fashion)--so you can own the series or movie without being a subscriber. That would be a way to make more money to pay for these productions.

I thought the movie was a lot of fun, and it definitely managed to do what it set out to, unlike half the other DCEU movies. Mark Strong was more Lex Luthor than Jesse Eisenberg, he even had Lex Luthor's father!

Freddy was my favorite character (and Billy's mom my least, holy crap was she awful!), and I was so happy he got powers towards the end! I loved Billy too and the way he warmed up to his new family. I get how this was a teenage superpower fantasy movie, but I felt like they spent too much time having fun with Billy's powers. I'd prefer it if they showed Sivana's smarts and fleshed out the Wizard Shazam more and what those powers really mean (sure, he's fast as Mercury and has Zeus-like lightning blasts, but what do wisdom and courage really mean?)

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Think his name is Andrew Cooper but the foster dad I love. Even though I stopped watching he was great as Jerry from TWD. Hope this guys career takes off.
    Cooper Andrews, close enough. But yeah, I love that guy, and he was so funny in this!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It seems late to be complaining about the odd combination of characters in S.H.A.Z.A.M. But then I've been living with this reality a lot longer than others. It kind of bugged me way back when, but never a lot. The combination of names tells you something about the long life and the adventurs of the old wizard. I assume he met each of the gods and heroes at different times (and signed the necessary contracts with them to use their powers).

By the names, I'd assume he met Atlas, then Zeus, then Hercules, then Achilles, then Solomon and finally Mercury. In Greek mythology, Atlas comes before Zeus, Hercules is the son of Zeus and Achilles comes a generation later. Solomon is maybe a hundred years after that (give or take). Mercury has to be last met--even though Hermes existed around the time of Hercules--given he's called by the Roman name, dating to the time of the Roman Republic (6th C BCE).
    I remember Post-Final Crisis (I think) when they did this New Age of Magic thing and Billy became trapped in the Rock of Eternity and Freddy was the new champion, they said those characters aren't the actual figures from myth, just magicians with their names. Not a fan of that version, and I prefer Shazam to be more Roman-influenced. However, one of the things I really hope the DCEU explores is the way the gods of myth have influenced the world and are relevant in this new age of heroes. We have them pretty well established, without the advanced alien god things the MCU has done with the Norse, what with Wonder Woman and Justice League both having the Greek Gods appear, and their influence was even in Aquaman.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    My only issue is an OP set up for the sequel. I dont know much about the comics as I dont read Shazam/Capt. Marvel. I reckon the others are not as powerful as Billy but you still have a slew of lil Shazams running around, so who is going to match up? I imagine there would be some thing that strips them of their powers, yadda yadda but that seems predictable and boring to me
    In some versions, whenever Billy shares his power, he gets weaker. If you have Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel, and Captain Marvel Jr, each of them have a third of the power that one Captain Marvel would have. I thought they were going for that in the movie when Freddy had flight, Darla had speed, etc, but it didn't look like they were splitting powers that way either. As for the sequel, we've got Mr. Mind, and given that door with the crocodile men behind it, I could see there being a group of monsters in the next one. Or even a society of monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    As for the sequel, we've got Mr. Mind, and given that door with the crocodile men behind it, I could see there being a group of monsters in the next one. Or even a society of monsters.
    That was my exact thought too. Seen it twice now and loved it both times. Very good film. The themes dealing with the importance of family and friendship felt different than other superhero flicks - and resonated with me better. Not the laughfest that critics made it sound like - but not the uber-gloom vehicle of other DC films.

Looking forward to the sequel.

Shazam had an strong Friday. How many times did you watch it? 3 for me. 2 with family and 1 by myself.

"Good Friday arrived to fulfill with magic (and lots of kids) #Shazam’s #BoxOffice in the US as it grossed 6.1M, dropping only 2% from last week. It’s domestic cume is 110.2M, 13.1M under #AntMan and 6.5M under #AQuietPlace. 120M+ in the US by the end of Sunday is locked!"

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/...07087968018433

Shazam had an strong Friday. How many times did you watch it? 3 for me. 2 with family and 1 by myself.
    I only ever watch a movie once in the theater. After that I either wait for the blu-ray/DVD or catch it on TV.

"Good Friday arrived to fulfill with magic (and lots of kids) #Shazam’s #BoxOffice in the US as it grossed 6.1M, dropping only 2% from last week. It’s domestic cume is 110.2M, 13.1M under #AntMan and 6.5M under #AQuietPlace. 120M+ in the US by the end of Sunday is locked!"

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/...07087968018433
    Just once, really enjoyed the movie but not enough to watch it again in theaters. I'll buy the bluray when it comes out

I liked it enough to do more than one viewing. Also wanted to see my family's reactions.

Looks like Shazam had a fantastic 3rd weekend!

Current estimates show Shazam only slipping 29.1% in this Good Friday to Easter Sunday weekend for a domestic haul of $17,340,000.

This brings Shazam's domestic total to $121,341,951.

International it's at $201,500,000 for a global total of $322,841,951.

I'd like to see Shazam get to $500 million worldwide, but with Endgame coming out in a few days, I don't know if there's another $180 million left in the tank.