Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Asher is now 16 and Jack is 15. Interestingly enough, they're about exactly a year apart in age. Both will have birthdays in early September.

Anyway, it's a given that they will age and change really soon. I think this was considered when they were cast and allowing them to age noticeably is a good thing. It will make each Shazam movie a bit different as the kids face new problems that come with their new ages.

In particular, Billy will face a lot of temptations as he turns 18 with the powers of Shazam at his disposal (assuming there is a Shazam 3). A good scriptwriter can mine this for good character drama.

I'm of the opinion that this is a good thing so we don't get the same movie regurgitated over and over. Also, older teens that might have stayed away from Shazam because they thought it was a kids' movie might want to check out the sequels with an older Billy.
    We can see them grow like the Harry Potter kids. Why not?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Some reviewers compare this to the 1980s movies--remember TEMPLE OF DOOM--in fact those movies were way more frightening and that's why they came up with the PG-13 rating, introduced in 1984 to address the complaints that those PG movies were too violent and scary.
    The Sins monsters reminded me of Troma and similar era puppet creatures all out for no good, I liked that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    If they're going to do a sequel, they'd better get going PRONTO. Just saw an interview with Asher Angel and Jack Dylan Grazier that was videotaped very recently, and just a year to a year and a half after filming SHAZAM!, they're already looking and sounding more like young men than the boys they were in the movie. Within a year, both will likely have aged out of playing Billy Batson and Freddy Freeman.

This is one of the most confounding dilemmas of making an extended SHAZAM! franchise with multiple sequels. How do you keep the kids...kids? Recasting doesn't seem like a viable option.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I'm fine with them getting older.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    We can see them grow like the Harry Potter kids. Why not?
    The Potter kids started out about 7 or 8 years younger than these guys, didn't they? Not that it still can't be done, but there's only so long you can pretend an actor is still a teenager. Karate Kid was probably the worst offender at this. By the time the third movie came out he was like what, 27?

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The Potter kids started out about 7 or 8 years younger than these guys, didn't they? Not that it still can't be done, but there's only so long you can pretend an actor is still a teenager. Karate Kid was probably the worst offender at this. By the time the third movie came out he was like what, 27?
    They also filmed new Harry Potter movies basically every year and more importantly, their aging is a part of the story. Shazam is different, because in the source stories, Billy never ages. It will definitely change the feeling of things if Billy is 17 or 18 then he's in his 20's. He'll be changing from a man into a different man.

Not that I say they should do this in a future movie, but all this talk about their ages reminds me of one of my favorite twists in Kingdom Come -- Luthor paraded around Captain Marvel as his big ace in the hole and deterrent, but then Bruce deduced that it wasn't Captain Marvel after all, it was the adult Billy Batson, and thus powerless. The only way to keep him controlled was to brainwash him into maintaining his human form.

Of course, then he said the magic word...

Just saw the movie yesterday. It was great! I especially loved the positive depiction of a Fost-Adopt family - usually media likes to joke about or bash adopted or foster kids. The movie had a ton of heart to it and had some really genuine laughs, plus captured the character and his kind of hokey world very well.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Retired

I thought about the age problem for any sequels back when this movie was in production. I imagine the same thing must have occurred to the producers of the movie. Maybe they decided that they'd cross that bridge if they ever came to it, but for the present movie they just wanted actors old enough to carry the burden of the work. Still, they would have had a lot of time to think about what they would do if they ever got the chance to do a sequel (also the Black Adam movie has been in the hopper for a few years).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Just saw the movie yesterday. It was great! I especially loved the positive depiction of a Fost-Adopt family - usually media likes to joke about or bash adopted or foster kids. The movie had a ton of heart to it and had some really genuine laughs, plus captured the character and his kind of hokey world very well.
    The kids all gaining the powers of Shazam pretty much sealed the deal for me. To paraphrase Freddy, they're a bunch of foster kids and they have nothing going for them -- then when they realize what needs to be done, their faces light up, which made the "Billy!" joke and their adult forms checking their new selves out all the better.

I admit, I teared up a little out of pure happiness for those kids. They deserve the world and they got it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I admit, I teared up a little out of pure happiness for those kids. They deserve the world and they got it.
    I just signed up for a trial version of Hulu. Searched around for a half hour for something I wanted to watch that I didn't have on Prime or Netflix. Closest I got was The Great American Baking Show.

Canceled the trial within two hours, having watched nothing on it.

I just signed up for a trial version of Hulu. Searched around for a half hour for something I wanted to watch that I didn't have on Prime or Netflix. Closest I got was The Great American Baking Show.

Canceled the trial within two hours, having watched nothing on it.
    What does your brief Hulu trial have to do with Shazam or the post you quoted?

Who was the actress who played the adult/Shazam version of Darla? She was my favorite of the new Shazams at the end.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Not a thing. Not sure how it ended up in this thread or with that quote attached to it.

Incredible Member

I finally caught Shazam, surprisingly good.

It makes me long for more magic focused story lines.

Come on guys, who is in for a homo magi tv series !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(hear crickets before the post is made)

/Screw you all for not sharing my unpopular tastes !!!!!!!!!

Not a thing. Not sure how it ended up in this thread or with that quote attached to it.
    Did you have more than one tab open with things you were replying to?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

Who was the actress who played the adult/Shazam version of Darla? She was my favorite of the new Shazams at the end.
    Mehgan Good. She was my childhood crush