Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

I forgot to mention, I really liked that they got "Gee Whiz" and a couple "Holy Moly"s in there. The Captain Marvel comics did help popularize the latter phrase, after all.

Retired

I'm curious to see what happens in the wake of ENDGAME--if it steamrolls over everything and no other movie can make bank or if other movies will thrive in this strange ecosystem. There's a lot of big reporting of people getting advance tickets for the ENDGAME opening--but what about in the weeks to follow? Do people buy advance tickets for the second and third weeks? I wonder what kind of drop it will have in the second weekend--if everybody is going to see it in the first week--and which other movie will break through.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm curious to see what happens in the wake of ENDGAME--if it steamrolls over everything and no other movie can make bank or if other movies will thrive in this strange ecosystem. There's a lot of big reporting of people getting advance tickets for the ENDGAME opening--but what about in the weeks to follow? Do people buy advance tickets for the second and third weeks? I wonder what kind of drop it will have in the second weekend--if everybody is going to see it in the first week--and which other movie will break through.
    For the four weeks after Endgame's release, the prime candidates that could compete are Pokemon, John Wick 3 and Aladdin. Seems unlikely.

Who knows, maybe Poms will be a big dark horse movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    For the four weeks after Endgame's release, the prime candidates that could compete are Pokemon, John Wick 3 and Aladdin. Seems unlikely.

Who knows, maybe Poms will be a big dark horse movie.
    Oh gosh, I cannot wait for the Pokemon movie.

Which is odd to say because I was already too old for Pokemon when they first made the scene, AND I'm still not very much into the franchise.

BANNED

I haven't seen a Pokemon movie since Power of One (far as I'm concerned, that and Orange Islands were the peak and end of the anime, even though it still runs to this day), and never played one game beyond Red and Blue. I still follow the progress of the franchise, yet despite only being a casual fan, I'm definitely seeing Detective Pikachu.

OK, we now have weekend ACTUALS for weekend 3 of Shazam.

The movie grossed $16,464,508 rather than the estimated $17,340,000. So, domestic is now at $120,437,864 and worldwide is $321,937,864.

Still wondering if Shazam can get to $500 million worldwide by the end of its run.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    OK, we now have weekend ACTUALS for weekend 3 of Shazam.

The movie grossed $16,464,508 rather than the estimated $17,340,000. So, domestic is now at $120,437,864 and worldwide is $321,937,864.

Still wondering if Shazam can get to $500 million worldwide by the end of its run.
    $500 seems out of reach. $400 is it I think.

Retired

I'm curious to see what they do with the Big Red Cheese going forward. If I was a WB exec, looking at those numbers, I wouldn't want to sink more money into a SHAZAM! 2. And I'd probably use the World's Mightiest Mortal like the Hulk is used in the MCU. I'm sure that Zachary Levi's paycheque isn't as big as the Rock's--so they could spread him through the other movies. On the other hand, I would want to use those kids while they're still cute. Maybe a SHAZAM! HOLIDAY SPECIAL! on CBS next Christmas. The SHAZAM! TV series debuted on CBS in September 1974, so it's the 45th anniversary (and it's also Billy Batson's 80th anniversary in December of this year).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I forgot to mention, I really liked that they got "Gee Whiz" and a couple "Holy Moly"s in there. The Captain Marvel comics did help popularize the latter phrase, after all.
    The movie was great about cramming all these little details. Or Big details, like the piano key part when fighting Sivana for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Oh gosh, I cannot wait for the Pokemon movie.

Which is odd to say because I was already too old for Pokemon when they first made the scene, AND I'm still not very much into the franchise.
    I don't feel a lot like part of a Detective Pikachu audience either, but I've been unable to shake off curiosity to go watch it. It looks like the kind of movie you've got to see by yourself how it actually turned out.

I'm curious to see what they do with the Big Red Cheese going forward. If I was a WB exec, looking at those numbers, I wouldn't want to sink more money into a SHAZAM! 2. And I'd probably use the World's Mightiest Mortal like the Hulk is used in the MCU. I'm sure that Zachary Levi's paycheque isn't as big as the Rock's--so they could spread him through the other movies. On the other hand, I would want to use those kids while they're still cute. Maybe a SHAZAM! HOLIDAY SPECIAL! on CBS next Christmas. The SHAZAM! TV series debuted on CBS in September 1974, so it's the 45th anniversary (and it's also Billy Batson's 80th anniversary in December of this year).
    Why? The movie was profitable, not crazy Aquaman profitable, but for how cheap it was more than profitable enough to justify a sequel. When did we get to the point a movie needs to make a billion to be worth continuing?

BANNED

I'm curious to see what they do with the Big Red Cheese going forward. If I was a WB exec, looking at those numbers, I wouldn't want to sink more money into a SHAZAM! 2.
    What is it about those numbers that would lead you to that decision path? Seems like it made at least a 100% profit.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Just saw the movie. It pretty much met my expectations as an action-comedy. I really liked the supporting cast, the adaptation of the family dynamic, and the use of the seven sins (although I do wish we got to see their human embodiment hosts). Sivana was a little underdeveloped but given an interesting motivation that fit well with Billy's story. I guess the weakest parts of the film for me were Shazam himself, and the cliche story of "jerk turned good guy". I thought Levi tried too hard to come across as a kid, so much so that he was goofier than not just his counterpart but any believable child. I would have preferred a child-like adult Billy that wasn't outright juvenile. It was fine for humor but I felt he lacked serious character.

7/10 for me.

My DCEU totem pole goes:

MOS
    BvS
    Wonder Woman

Justice League
    Shazam

Suicide Squad
    Aquaman

Astonishing Member

100M Production Budget. 345M Box Office Gross so far. Plus you have Dwayne Johnson willing and interested in playing Black Adam down the road. Why wouldn't you do one?