Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    It's going to wipe the floor with Hellboy.
    Well, this version of Hellboy will be R-rated, so it really is a different core audience. Hellboy really has to contend with both Us and Pet Sematary, but if Hellboy gets great reviews, then it could draw away teens who would have seen Shazam a second time in addition to taking a bite out of the horror audience.

We'll see, but I've been bullish on Shazam being the highest grossing pre-Endgame April movie, and so far nothing has changed my mind on that score.

Retired

Some reviews point out that there's a disconnect between Asher Angel's Billy and Zachary Levi's. You can even see this in interviews, where Asher is much more thoughtful and understated, while Zachary is animated and a goofball. It's like one is an adult trapped in a kid's body and the other is a kid trapped in an adult body.

But after thinking this through, I can make some sense of it. For one thing, in the classic comics, Captain Marvel and Billy weren't really the same person. In this movie, it seems like they are but the transformation may affect Billy's mental state.

Relating this to my own boyhood, when I was at school I was subdued, hardly ever talked, tried to avoid other kids and hardly ever answered the teacher's questions. I was so scared of being mocked and bullied, that I tried to hide and avoid becoming a target. But when I got home, I was a completely different person--I was bouncing off the walls, talking non-stop, goofing around with my brother and sisters, making jokes and very happy in this safe environment.

So I can see how Billy is a scared boy who is subdued as a result, but as the Big Red Cheese he's on top of the world, he doesn't have to be himself, he can escape into this character and be joyful.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Some reviews point out that there's a disconnect between Asher Angel's Billy and Zachary Levi's. You can even see this in interviews, where Asher is much more thoughtful and understated, while Zachary is animated and a goofball. It's like one is an adult trapped in a kid's body and the other is a kid trapped in an adult body.

But after thinking this through, I can make some sense of it. For one thing, in the classic comics, Captain Marvel and Billy weren't really the same person. In this movie, it seems like they are but the transformation may affect Billy's mental state.

Relating this to my own boyhood, when I was at school I was subdued, hardly ever talked, tried to avoid other kids and hardly ever answered the teacher's questions. I was so scared of being mocked and bullied, that I tried to hide and avoid becoming a target. But when I got home, I was a completely different person--I was bouncing off the walls, talking non-stop, goofing around with my brother and sisters, making jokes and very happy in this safe environment.

So I can see how Billy is a scared boy who is subdued as a result, but as the Big Red Cheese he's on top of the world, he doesn't have to be himself, he can escape into this character and be joyful.
    I actually agree. Billy was much more angsty and withdrawn than his superhero persona.

Isn't that kind of the point though? Being Shazam'd up isn't just putting a child in an adult's body its an idealized version of the child, who they wish they were, whether they verbalize those wishes or not. Perfect example, Pedro was suddenly more talkative as Shazam Pedro. Not a motormouth obviously but way more verbal. "Look at these guns" could you see child Pedro saying that? Who knew he even cared about "guns" (Eugene didn't say it as Shazam Eugene). Plus it wasn't a total disconnect since they already established early Billy was a bit mischievous. Someone who could have joy doing those things but always returning to a dour state (and until finding his mother understandably so), as Shazam it was a sort of escape.

With all this said I feel Mary as Shazam Mary got the short end of the stick. She was just there, we didn't really get a scene to show the difference between regular Mary and Shazam Mary. Ah well, something for the sequel I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I agree. Personally, I really liked that his mother was so flawed and selfish, because that's part of real life for forter kids, unfortunately. It was heart-wrenching to see, but that sadness gave Billy more depth as a character, IMO, and it also showed what kind of person he really was because despite his broken heart and disappointment, he still went to save his friends and family. This tragedy gave the film more dramatic weight for me. The rooftop scene was more powerful due to that. I'm glad that story point wasn't fixed with a happy bow, at least not so soon. Maybe in the future the mother looks for him to ask forgiveness.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Personally, I loved it. It really tied the whole family and being chosen theme together very well while simultaneously sidestepping any cliches. A the hard cold adult truth of his mother contrasted well with cheerful kidful tone of the rest of movie. I generally applaud Sandberg for this. Brilliant decision.
    I agree with both of you. My heart broke for Billy. A risky but IMO right decision by Sandberg.

Just got back from seeing it. Solid 8/10, it's in a fight with Wonder Woman for favorite DCEU film. The comedy hit all the right notes, the cast was likable, was honestly surprised we got a full blown Marvel Family. Only complaint was the villain was pretty one dimensional, but that's pretty standard for origin films and he might get more development in a sequel.

I see people talking about the Mom, and I quite loved that. I thought we were going to get a cliche oh she died while looking for you. Nope just a teenage mom who was overwhelmed and abandoned him. I appreciate that, it felt honest. Some people, especially those in the foster system, just come from bad families.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Just got back. Lots of fun. Laughed at the schools name. (the irony of it if you know the captain marvel history) Is it the best hero film? Nope but it was a lot of fun. I can see some parents angry at the kids cursing the whole movie and some kids might get scared at some parts but if they watch stranger things or gremlins or harry potter they should be fine.

Family liked it. My showing was dead however. There was a big D showing at the same time so maybe everyone was in it but we didn't have many in our showing. That is sad as it was a good movie.

Liked it more then aquaman. Good job DC.

I agree mary needed more screentime. She didn't really get much to here in this.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Just got back. Lots of fun. Laughed at the schools name.
    I do wonder why the movie was set in a real city, Philadelphia, as opposed to a fictional city (Fawcett). We had Gotham and Metropolis in earlier DCEU movies, so why not Fawcett City for SHAZAM!?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I do wonder why the movie was set in a real city, Philadelphia, as opposed to a fictional city (Fawcett). We had Gotham and Metropolis in earlier DCEU movies, so why not Fawcett City for SHAZAM!?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Because they really wanted to do those Rocky jokes.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Yes.

Fun fact: Adam's powers are tied to other mythic figures (Egyptian gods) that spell out the name Shazam. Since they can't be untied from him, different mythic figures were chosen to spell out the name Shazam (the names we heard by the wizard in this movie).

Adam's gods are:
    Shu
    Heru
    Amon
    Zehuti
    Aton
    Mehen

EDIT: I noticed Dwayne Johnson was one of the producers of this movie. Hmmm...
    Thanks good to see that all that time spent playing Injustice 2 was good was something, and now I know why Adam's pantheon differs from Shazam's. Can't wait to see these two square off in a future movie.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Incredible Member

Just been going over the movie in my mind......

Am I right in thinking, in an incredibly subtle way, DC might of (or might not have.) Beat marvel to having the first gay movie superhero?????

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    Just been going over the movie in my mind......

Am I right in thinking, in an incredibly subtle way, DC might of (or might not have.) Beat marvel to having the first gay movie superhero?????
    I take it you mean when they walked out of the strip club and one of the characters said it wasn't his thing? I mean maybe.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    With all this said I feel Mary as Shazam Mary got the short end of the stick. She was just there, we didn't really get a scene to show the difference between regular Mary and Shazam Mary. Ah well, something for the sequel I guess.
    Yeah she didn't get a "hero moment" like all the others. I think part of that is they didn't give her a specific power like they did the others. Pedro was strong, Darla had speed, Eugene had the lightning. Seemed like Freddy's power was flight but then they all flew at the very end of the Shazam family scene.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

BANNED

Having to wait to watch this today. We usually try to go early on Sundays of the opening weekend, to avoid the potential church crowd. But my local theater doesn't have it's first showing until 1pm.

Unff Super Pedro.