Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Saw the movie earlier this afternoon. I very much enjoyed myself, my only real complaint is something that arguably makes the movie better. Overall this movie is very family friendly with the exception of one or two scenes that are rather intense. While I can appreciate the tonal dissonance as an adult, I think it's small shame that those few scenes make it hard to recommend to families with children under the age of Twelve. They're somewhat necessary scenes, I just think they were a little extreme in what is at its core a movie about families. I'm sure when it's edited to air on family oriented TV channels those scenes will be cut differently.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Astonishing Member

I just hope it doesn't end up becoming a rallying point for the Anime Profile Picture Brigade because of the whole Captain Marvel-->Shazam thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Haven't read this thread yet, saw the movie back on Saturday, enjoyed it. I don't think it was great, but it was good and pretty fun and funny. Despite being a lot cheaper than a lot of the other DC movies I didn't notice that in the special effects, everything looked pretty great. I'm guessing the talking caterpillar in the end is from the comics?

Also the Darla character was adorable.
    Darla is really adorable. She almost steals the show, imo haha. I saw the movie again today. Still liked it, but some parts when Billy is figuring out his powers bored me a bit. I feel this movie would play better for boys that age or those boys young at heart. However, when the whole Shazam family appear with their cool costumes, that was such an awesome scene! Everything after is really good. The Superman cameo really works despite my bittersweet feelings that we can't see his face, but his presence feels so great. I love the idea that Billy hangouts with Supes.

BANNED

I’m going to see it tomorrow, but I’m still having doubts

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Saw the movie earlier this afternoon. I very much enjoyed myself, my only real complaint is something that arguably makes the movie better. Overall this movie is very family friendly with the exception of one or two scenes that are rather intense. While I can appreciate the tonal dissonance as an adult, I think it's small shame that those few scenes make it hard to recommend to families with children under the age of Twelve. They're somewhat necessary scenes, I just think they were a little extreme in what is at its core a movie about families. I'm sure when it's edited to air on family oriented TV channels those scenes will be cut differently.

Oh, I think those scenes are just fine for kids between 8 & 12. I saw Jaws when I was 10, and I was scared, but thrilled. It's a good scare and I think Shazam will play the same way. I think that's why people were comparing it to Spielberg/Amblin because of his movies he directed and produced that had both intense scenes and heartfelt scenes like Jaws, Jurassic, Gremlins, and others.

Kids watch Friday the 13th and Halloween movies, so I don't think there's anything in Shazam that would bother anyone over 8. I think the "grown up" stuff will be like catnip to them, and they'll love the movie all the more for it.

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Don't doubt. Shazam is a reliably entertaining movie.

But come back tomorrow and tell us what you thought.

Oh, I think those scenes are just fine for kids between 8 & 12. I saw Jaws when I was 10, and I was scared, but thrilled. It's a good scare and I think Shazam will play the same way. I think that's why people were comparing it to Spielberg/Amblin because of his movies he directed and produced that had both intense scenes and heartfelt scenes like Jaws, Jurassic, Gremlins, and others.
    Mom vs gremlins scenes in gremlins, face melting in raiders of the lost ark, dinner scene in temple of doom, eye pulled out, man broke in half and little kid hung in potc, princess and dragon scene in Disney and paramount's dragonslayer, doc oct vs the doctors in Spider-Man 2 are all scary parts in kids films also. It's up to the kid but most will be fine.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Re: the truck scene with the Bryer Brothers again. Callback to MAN OF STEEL? It seems like both Clark and Billy like to teach bullies lessons by wrecking their trucks.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Bumblebee also wrecked the mean girl's car a few months ago. With great power comes a little vandalizing!

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    No doubts needed! The flick is fantastic.

Cap Jr. really was my favorite.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-09-2019 at 10:27 PM.

No sane human should ever react the way I did when I heard Daddy Mind.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post

In other news, I'm hearing that the Hellboy review embargo doesn't lift until Thursday at 3:00PM.

Given that many theaters show previews Thursday night, this does seem to bode poorly for how much confidence the studio has in this movie.

Hellboy is Shazam's direct competition in the superhero space this weekend, so it's a shame I find myself rooting against it as I would prefer for all CBMs to be spaced out enough that they all find an audience.

The more CB Movies and TV shows, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

On the other hand, I do want them all to be good, so if Hellboy reviews can't be posted until the afternoon before the first weekend, I can't imagine this will be even a critical hit.

Retired

If someone would just slow down the speed at which the Earth goes around the Sun, then we could double the length of the year and have enough room on the calendar for all comic book movies to have their chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    you mean Mr Mind the worm?

I was wondering, how did he escape from the Rock of Eternity? Who is he exactly? I never read a Shazam comic.

I watched it tonight and didn't care for it all that much. A hyped up 'Greatest American Hero' is what I took from it. Just wasn't for me. A bit to cheesy for my taste.