View Poll Results: How did you feel about Shazam!?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 Stars - the best the DCEU has to offer!

9 26.47%
  • 4 Stars - Not Perfect, But A Rollicking Good Time!

23 67.65%
  • 3 Stars - No Bad, Not Good, Just Average!

2 5.88%
  • 2 Stars - Not utter catastrophy, but not what I want from my DCEU!

0 0%
  • 1 Stars - Makes Green Lantern look like The Godfather!

0 0%
    where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Default Rate and Discuss Shazam! (SPOILERS)

Since the movie has had its wide release:

This is a thread where you can leave your rating/reviews for DC's Shazam!, the live-action film starring the Hero Formerly Known As Captain Marvel, as well as discuss the film with spoilers unmarked.

(I just realized I made the poll and forget to add a single Holy Moley or Gee Whiz in the options)
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 04-05-2019 at 08:26 PM.

DCs best movie in a good while.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Honestly? Probably my favorite DC film after Superman (1978). More than most, I think it really loves and understands its source material while updating it for a more modern crowd. It's fun, it doesn't get too bogged down by melodrama, and it actually does ramp up toward the last act instead of losing steam and whimpering to a conclusion like many action movies do.

Zachary Levi is amazing as the big red cheese.

Top marks. I had a great time.

Astonishing Member

I'd say its basically Deadpool for kids, given how utterly bonkers it gets in a meta way!

It works as a great standalone movie, despite all the easter eggs and THAT cameo in the end. I'd argue that its the first actual 'standalone' DC film since Man of Steel.

In a way, its also a great throwback, not only to a more classic era of superheroes, but to an older era of superhero blockbusters. There's no great moral complexity or philosophical discusssion. No complex non-linear narrative. Its a pretty straightforward origin story and simple hero vs. villain fare. But its self-awareness of superhero tropes is what really elevates it and makes it very much a movie of our times.

One thing that really grounds the film is its emotional realism. Billy Batson, and the other kids, very much act like kids who've suddenly stumbled into an exciting and dangerous world. Shazam is no paragon of heroic virtue, nor is he a brooding savior with the weight of the world on his shoulders. He's just a kid playing at being superhero, who eventually finds within himself the courage and the compassion to actually be one. And even though he spends most of the movie as a classic moustache-twirling supervillain, I could really 'get' Sivanna and how he became what he is too.

A part of the film I particularly appreciated was the subplot involving Billy's mom. 9 superhero movies out of 10 would have given us a lot more angst and drama, but this film, while dealing with a very serious subject and giving it its due, actually manages to handle it in an almost understated way. Kudos to the makers for that!

DC really hit the nail on the head with Shazam, much like they did with Aquaman and Wonder Woman. I'm really looking forward to seeing the sequel, as well as the rest of their slate.

I voted 4 stars, but I'm not crazy about the caption "Not Perfect..." because putting a negative into things always leaves a negative impression.

For me, 4 stars would read "VERY GOOD..." because that's how I felt.

This movie was trying to be funny, and most of the time, it stuck the landing.

I also liked Sivana being a credible threat rather than a comedic villain. This will keep the teens and young adults from dismissing it.

Retired

I won't vote yet. My rating of a movie tends to go up the second time I see it. How I read the stars for movies, three stars means the movie is rather good, four stars means it's one of the best and five stars means it's a rare gem of cinema (almost no movies should get five stars). Two stars is a movie you can watch, but it has a lot of flaws. One star means it's not really worth your time, unless you want to watch it ironically. And zero stars means the movie is a crime against humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I voted 4 stars, but I'm not crazy about the caption "Not Perfect..." because putting a negative into things always leaves a negative impression.

For me, 4 stars would read "VERY GOOD..." because that's how I felt.

This movie was trying to be funny, and most of the time, it stuck the landing.

I also liked Sivana being a credible threat rather than a comedic villain. This will keep the teens and young adults from dismissing it.
    I completely agree about the "not perfect" part and I also gave 4 stars. I enjoyed the movie very much, it didn't blow me away. Didn't think it was amazing or the greatest DC or superhero movie, but it's very good and well made. The Harry Potter comparisons make sense.

Loved how much heart it has and the family themes. This movie has a great balance of humor and serious moments, and the villain wasn't a joke. I appreciated that Dr Sivana had some depth and his backstory. Billy Batson too had plenty of depth. There were 3 scenes in this movie that wowed me in different ways, and one of those got me teary-eyed. A real punch to the gut.. The final and mid credits scenes made me smile so much..!

I'm planning to see it again.

I won't vote yet. My rating of a movie tends to go up the second time I see it. How I read the stars for movies, three stars means the movie is rather good, four stars means it's one of the best and five stars means it's a rare gem of cinema (almost no movies should get five stars). Two stars is a movie you can watch, but it has a lot of flaws. One star means it's not really worth your time, unless you want to watch it ironically. And zero stars means the movie is a crime against humanity.
    I agree with all this. Few movies are perfect, IMO. But it's really subjective.

I've only seen Shazam once, but I really feel strongly about my feelings about it already. Not sure how rewatchable it will be for me, but really want to see it again.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 04-06-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

I just came back from seeing Shazam, and I loved it. Levi did a wonderful job in his role, and the movie was so full of charm and charisma.

I believe what did this was Sandberg fixed everything wrong with The Curse of Shazam. I know some people will disagree with me for saying this, and that’s ok; we can disagree. However, I had a much easier time liking Billy/Shazam here than I did with tCoS. His pain was expressed less as nastiness and more as standoffishness. The best example of contrast is him telling Darla they aren’t siblings. In the comic, he shouts it at her during an argument, and grumbles a half-hearted “I didn’t mean to” when confronted about it. Not even an attempt at an apology; Darla just forgives him because. In the movie, the same line is said in a much more lighthearted tone, and he actively tries to apologize when he realizes she’s feeling hurt, and is just stopped because of school schedules. That’s the difference. Movie!Billy is still not Classic!Billy, but he’s trying. He’s immature and makes mistakes, but for the most part, he’s a nice kid, not an argumentative snit. With Nu52!Billy, it didn’t feel like he was trying to be nice at all until an extreme circumstance happened, and then in the 2018 series. (Once more, I know some of you might disagree, but that’s ok. I’m not trying to change your opinion; this is just how I see it.)

The other cast members were great, too, and the final fight was great! This is my favorite DCEU as of yet, and I’ll definitely want to watch again.
    Last edited by SilverWarriorWolf; 04-07-2019 at 06:21 PM.

Absolutely loved it. They did a much better job with Sivana than I was expecting.

To be honest and true to myself...i enjoyed this WAYYYYY more than Captain Marvel, this was so much fun to watch and i'm not even a reader of his and his families comic book but i will place it along with my other fav DCEU movies (WW, AM & MoS in that order).

I mean realistically i know it won't beat Endgame but i can honestly say it surpasses Captain Marvel...which is ironic if you think about it, the character who lost the name means more to me than the character that got the name.

Well i said my piece, let the hate comments begin.

Give a 4 stars.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarriorWolf View Post
    I just came back from seeing Shazam, and I loved it. Levi did a wonderful job in his role, and the movie was so full of charm and charisma.

I believe what did this was Sandberg fixed everything wrong with The Curse of Shazam. I know some people will disagree with me for saying this, and that’s ok; we can disagree. However, I had a much easier time liking Billy/Shazam here than I did with tCoS. His pain was expressed less as nastiness and more as standoffishness. The best example of contrast is him telling Darla they aren’t siblings. In the comic, he shouts it at her during an argument, and grumbles a half-hearted “I didn’t mean to” when confronted about it. Not even an attempt at an apology; Darla just forgives him because. In the movie, the same line is said in a much more lighthearted tone, and he actively tries to apologize when he realizes she’s feeling hurt, and is just stopped because of school schedules. That’s the difference. Movie!Billy is still not Classic!Billy, but he’s trying. He’s immature and makes mistakes, but for the most part, he’s a nice kid, not an argumentative snit. With Nu52!Billy, it didn’t feel like he was trying to be nice at all until an extreme circumstance happened, and then in the 2018 series. (Once more, I know some of you might disagree, but that’s ok. I’m not trying to change your opinion; this is just how I see it.)

The other cast members were great, too, and the final fight was great! This is my favorite DCEU as of yet, and I’ll definitely want to watch again.
    I only vaguely remember reading the New 52 Shazam but yeah, I get what you mean.

Other than the set-up with the foster home and the extended foster family, I think this movie was pretty close to the classic version of the Captain Marvel/Shazam character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I only vaguely remember reading the New 52 Shazam but yeah, I get what you mean.

Other than the set-up with the foster home and the extended foster family, I think this movie was pretty close to the classic version of the Captain Marvel/Shazam character.
    EH, I'd wager it was more a middle ground, as his personality wasn't the extreme nice kid of the classic version, nor was it the version we got in new 52. As Silver Wolf said, they found a perfect balance between the two, and I think that is what this movie so well done. With that said, the only issue I had with the movie perhaps was pacing. There was scenes that were so funny that it made your stomach hurt, and then right after that were perhaps some of the darkest scenes in the DCU. A couple behind me said it felt like being on the tower of terror, hitting the two extremes super quickly, and I have to agree with that. That's the only reason it wasn't a 5 star for me. But it's probably my second favorite movie from the DCU only behind Wonder Woman. I so can't wait to see more of the shazam family.

4 Stars.

Best Captain Marvel movie of the year!
    Batman - Daredevil

5 stars!
    They did a great job bringing this character to the big screen and capturing the fun spirit of the comics! Loved it!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!