Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Who do you consider to be most "Avengery" Avengers??

Now a days it seems that anyone can be an Avenger, looking at you Castle, but there are certain characters that more "Avengery" the guys who pop in your head as classic or mainstays. Obviously Cap, Stark and Thor. However I guess this varies depending on what era you may have grown up with. In your mind who are the Avengers??

For me

Captain America
    Thor
    Iron-Man
    Ant-Man
    Wasp
    Hulk
    She-Hulk
    Black Widow
    Captain Marvel (Carol)
    Black Panther
    Vision
    Wonderman
    Spectrum
    Scarlet Witch
    Quicksilver
    Hawkeye

Captain America
    Thor
    Iron Man
    Hank Pym
    Wasp
    Beast
    Black Widow
    Captain Marvel
    Black Panther
    Vision
    Wonder Man
    Spectrum
    Scarlet Witch
    Quicksilver
    Hawkeye
    Falcon
    Hercules
    Jocasta
    Jane Foster
    Spider-Woman
    Tigra
    Mockingbird

JARVIS!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

As Jarvis states in Roger Stern's great "Faithful Servant" (Avengers #280):

Jarvis: "There have been so many Avengers over the years. Some stayed so briefly, it is hard to even remember them. Hercules, the Beast, the Falcon, Hellcat, poor Ms. Marvel...I tried to serve them all well, to make their stays as pleasant as possible. After all. The life of an Avenger is not easy."

The truth of the matter is that the Avengers were this team that was a dumping ground for Marvel. Characters not big enough to sell their own title, not interesting enough in their own corners (supporting casts, rogues gallery) and who were always second banana to the Fantastic Four and the X-Men. So there's nothing really Avengers-y about anyone. They took in villains, some of whom reformed (Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Black Widow) and others who didn't (Sandman of Spider-Man fame, yeah) and then you have Hank Pym.

Besides the founders Cap, Thor, Wasp, etc.), I generally consider early Avengers without a long lasting solo title that have been prominent fixtures of the comic (Hawkeye, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Beast). Monica Rambeau is another that always comes to mind, as she was a team leader when I first started reading comics and appeared in the ads found in my Transformers and G.I. Joe books.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

I'd go largely with the George Perez era of the Avengers.

Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, and Beast (even though I know he's more an X-Men than Avenger).

The Vision is to the Avengers what The Martian Manhunter is to the Justice League Of America.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The Vision is to the Avengers what The Martian Manhunter is to the Justice League Of America.
    Sort of sad that both those guys are finding themselves on the outside looking in these days. They're almost too similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    As Jarvis states in Roger Stern's great "Faithful Servant" (Avengers #280):

Jarvis: "There have been so many Avengers over the years. Some stayed so briefly, it is hard to even remember them. Hercules, the Beast, the Falcon, Hellcat, poor Ms. Marvel...I tried to serve them all well, to make their stays as pleasant as possible. After all. The life of an Avenger is not easy."

The truth of the matter is that the Avengers were this team that was a dumping ground for Marvel. Characters not big enough to sell their own title, not interesting enough in their own corners (supporting casts, rogues gallery) and who were always second banana to the Fantastic Four and the X-Men. So there's nothing really Avengers-y about anyone. They took in villains, some of whom reformed (Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Black Widow) and others who didn't (Sandman of Spider-Man fame, yeah) and then you have Hank Pym.
    Ha, and that's why I gravitated to the Avengers. Yeah, they were the characters that didn't sell well enough or were second fiddle to the Fantastic Four and especially the X-Men. Thus, there was an underdog quality about them. Hell, you could make the argument that the big 3, Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor, were underdogs as well for many years especially when compared to Spider-Man. But, somehow, someway, this group were "Earth's Mightiest Heroes." That's what made me an Avengers fan.

But I digress. My Avenger-y Avengers are:

Captain America
    Thor
    Iron Man
    Hawkeye
    Vision
    Scarlet Witch
    Wonder Man
    Black Panther
    Wasp
    Hank Pym
    Black Widow
    Hulk (Maybe. I've always considered the Hulk to be his own thing.)
    Jarvis

To me, that's a core Avengers team.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Add Jarvis to mine. Gawd so ashamed that I forgot Jarvis.

And to add on to that AVENGERS MANSION is the HEADQUARTERS... Accept no substitutes...

Captain America
    Iron Man
    Thor
    Scarlet Witch
    Hawkeye
    Vision
    Wasp
    Hank Pym
    Captain Marvel
    Black Panther
    Black Widow
    Hulk

Boisterously Confused

Cap and Hawkeye

The O5 minus Hulk.

Everybody else.

Anybody who appeared in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (plus Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver).

Even though Cap seems like the obvious answer, the "Big Three" all have their own worlds outside of the Avengers. The most "Avengery" of Avengers are the ones you cannot think of outside of the Avengers. To me, that's best represented by The Vision. It doesn't quite ever feel like the real Avengers without him and I cannot imagine him outside of the Avengers. He was born in that book and everything that was even important to him happened in that book.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Triathlon.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.