Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default who r the female characters whom you think @ one point was marvel's female face?

just wondering especially that i wasn't born yet when marvel comics started.

i wanted to give my list but i want others to do it first and please include the specific year or decade.

well at the start there was really only 2 female superheroes who would have been the face of marvel: Sue Storm and Janet Van Dyne and 1 non-superhero face: Betsy Ross. Both Janet and Sue were strong for a long time and started to fade off in the 90's
    Happy to see Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane becomming stronger now and even though I'm an SG fan, Kamala Khan and/or Carol Danvers are possibly that face now with Nadia a close 2nd
    New Avengers, all new all different avengers,Ms Marvel,Unbeatable Squirrel Girl,Silk,squadron supreme

Marvel's most prominent females from the 60s through to the 90s were always part of teams and never held down long-running solo series - Invisible Woman, Wasp, Storm.
    Marvel's really been pushing female solo series for the last 5 years, but time will tell who is remembered as #1. Captain Marvel is getting the first female-lead MCU movie, so until then I'd have to say Black Widow is #1.

Wasp - Invisible Woman - Jean Grey for some time.
    Storm for a looong time.
    Now: Black Widow + Captain Marvel
    Future: Captain Marvel + Wasp + Black Widow

I always think of her:
    2f9c690156ec6025bbc8afd03b975639.jpg

Mighty Member

It'll likely be Cap Marvel from this point on (it's in the name, for god's sakes).

BANNED

I don't know, i don't think Marvel has an iconic female character. They push Carol Danvers lately but i don't think she's anywhere near Wonder Woman... at least yet. She might be after The Captain Marvel movie, if the movie turns out good.

Going by Kevin Feige's comments, MCU Carol may be more of a Superman parallel than Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Going by Kevin Feige's comments, MCU Carol may be more of a Superman parallel than Wonder Woman.
    Wonder Woman is like a female Superman anyway... She was created to stand toe to toe with him and she did that. When these characters were created, i don't think the creators ever imagined they will be as big as they are now. The iconic characters. Superman became iconic as the time pass, so did Wonder Woman. She totally lived up to her creation purpose, she stood toe to toe with Superman. May be Carol Danvers will stand toe to toe with Superman after the movie... or the second movie may be...( who knows after all Captain America became really popular after the second movie. ) and became Marvel's Wonder Woman and she will take her place next to Spider-Man and Superman

but ofcourse none of them will be as cool as Batman
    Last edited by Batarang; 12-25-2016 at 07:57 AM.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Back in the day -

Sue Storm: The strongest member of the Fantastic Four

Janet Van Dyne: Founding Avenger and Chairwoman of the East Coast Avengers

Ororo Munroe: Leader of the X-Men, Avenger and represented across several different media during the height of the X-Men's popularity.

Now -

Captain Marvel: Marvel has been pushing her as the female face for their brand. Carol just isn't "happening" with audiences though.

Crystal: She does seem to be the "get sh*t done" Inhuman, compared to her sister Medusa.

Ms Marvel: Sells more than her namesake (Carol Danvers), is a hit with audiences, has teamed up/crossed over with a lot of big name characters and like Jubilee in the late 80s and 90s, is the voice for this generation of kids and teenagers.

Incredible Member

Storm was probably the most popular female character for a long time. I think she still is quite popular but right now I would say Black Widow is the current female face of Marvel.

Wasp, Invisible Girl, and Jean Grey were the most prominent female heroes at Marvel for a while at the beginning.

Then Storm rose to great prominence, though Jean was still a very big deal, as was Janet in The Avengers (especially during Roger Stern's run). Sue had great work done to her by John Bryne.

Ms. Marvel was created, to begin with, as a feminist, female, lead to stand-out among their Superheroines.

Mary Jane Watson was probably the closest thing Marvel had to a Lois Lane in terms of recognizability and iconic stature without being a Superhero, so I guess in a way she could be seen as one of their most prominent female faces, at least until Marvel destroyed the marriage.

Being the most prominent female Avenger in the movies gave Black Widow that role for a time, though Hayley Atwell's Peggy Carter proved popular enough that I think to some degree she became another major female face at Marvel.

Bluebird

Storm definitely was prominent in the 80s and especially in the 1990s due to being one of the characters featured on the mega-popular X-Men animated series. One could also make the case for Rogue & Jean Grey as well. (It also helped that all three would later appear in the X-Men films)

Niffleheim

Current Marvel

Comicverse
    1. At one point:- I would say it was Storm, Jean and Susan Storm but not anymore because movie rights.
    2.Now:- We are being told that it is Carol Danvers due to her ascension to Captain Marvel title, the relaunches, being the centre of a mega line wide events and a team book Is the face of Marvel lol! Marvel is Telling us instead of Showing us.
    3. Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan and Thor/Jane Foster created a following and the sales of their comics seem to back the characters having a right to those names.

Movieverse
    Black Widow's can't be overtaken unless Captain Marvel movie has some weight but even then Natasha will always be seen as the first lady in the modern Marvel because of being an Avenger.
    Last edited by Tofali; 12-25-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Back in the early days it was really just Sue Storm, Jean Grey and Wasp. Medusa, Mantis, Moon Dragon, Scarlet Witch, Storm, Valkyrie and Black Widow also became fairly popular characters, but I don't believe that Marvel really intended to promote them as First Females. Marvel did try with titles for Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers), Spider Woman and She-Hulk. All three still have very large followings today, but I think if you polled the fans you'd have a hard time getting a consensus on who is the Wonder Woman of the Marvel Universe. I think what they're doing now for Carol is intended to resolve that issue for future fans.