Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

First, thanks for this idea.

I'm pretty conventional, I think the degree of being an Avenger-y Avenger depends on how much of their history and character development took place in the Avengers. This is pretty unfair to new characters because it means that characters from the '60s have an inherent advantage and it's rare that a new character can break through like Monica Rambeau under Roger Stern or Luke Cage under Bendis. So maybe I'll break it down by the decade they joined, so it won't all be '60s characters (it's too early to tell about the '10s):

'60s: Hank Pym, Wasp, the Scarlet Witch, Vision, Hawkeye
    '70s: Beast, Wonder Man, Black Widow, Carol Danvers
    '80s: Monica Rambeau, She-Hulk, Tigra, Mockingbird
    '90s: Uhhh.... I don't know. Crystal was there for a long time but pretty much no one thinks of her as an Avenger first.
    '00s: Luke Cage, Jessica Drew

I also think of the "Big Three," Captain America is the most Avenger-y, because he really has had a lot of his character development (including his defrosting) in the Avengers, and Thor the least. Tony Stark is in between, since he pays for everything but doesn't devote as much of his time as Cap does.

And I'll agree that the most Avenger-y of them all has to be the Vision. Even Martian Manhunter had a life in comics before the Justice League. Vision's dad is the Avengers' arch-foe, his dad's creator is a founding Avenger, his wife is an Avenger, his (sort-of) kids are Young Avengers, the guy represents the Avengers so much that they couldn't even kill him off in Avengers Disassembled without almost immediately creating a new Vision for Young Avengers.

Anyone can be an Avenger. That's what makes the main two teams in comics (Avengers and Justice League) so great, anyone can join (within reason).

I think Goliath might be the only other hero that I would add to your list, but I might have to think on it longer.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Even though Cap seems like the obvious answer, the "Big Three" all have their own worlds outside of the Avengers. The most "Avengery" of Avengers are the ones you cannot think of outside of the Avengers. To me, that's best represented by The Vision. It doesn't quite ever feel like the real Avengers without him and I cannot imagine him outside of the Avengers. He was born in that book and everything that was even important to him happened in that book.
    Well, The Vision had a fantastic solo recently exactly about him out of the Avengers building a family... literally.

But I can't imagine The Vision outside an Avengers-related team, so you might have a point, though Hawkeye, Wasp and Henry Pym might be candidates at least as strong.

For the JLA and the X-men, it's easier to answer though: it's Martian Manhunter and Cyke, fewer room for debate, I think.

The Vision, Hawkeye, Spectrum, and Wonder Man.

the founders
    Hawkeye
    Wanda
    BP
    Luke Cage
    Spiderman
    Vision
    She Hulk
    Beast
    Wonderman
    War Machine
    Tigra
    Herc
    Spectrum
    Black Widow

and of course Jarvis

The Busiek roster.

Iron Man
    Captain America
    Thor
    Hawkeye
    Vision
    Scarlet Witch

Wasp
    Spectrum
    Jarvis
    Captain America
    Toni Ho
    Black Widow
    Hawkeye
    Thor
    Falcon
    Tigra
    Scarlet Witch
    Beast
    Black Knight
    Quasar
    Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Triathlon.
    I see your Triathlon and raise you Silverclaw.

Seriously though, I’ve always felt that there were 8 core avengers. You didn’t need all of them at once, but the more you had, the more it felt like the avengers...

Steve
    TONY
    Thor
    Vision
    Wanda
    Hank Pym
    Jan
    Clint
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Wasp
    Spectrum
    Jarvis
    Captain America
    Toni Ho
    Black Widow
    Hawkeye
    Thor
    Falcon
    Tigra
    Scarlet Witch
    Beast
    Black Knight
    Quasar
    Vision
    Those are some unorthodox choices, especially Toni Ho, what about them screams Avenger to you?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    First, thanks for this idea.

I'm pretty conventional, I think the degree of being an Avenger-y Avenger depends on how much of their history and character development took place in the Avengers. This is pretty unfair to new characters because it means that characters from the '60s have an inherent advantage and it's rare that a new character can break through like Monica Rambeau under Roger Stern or Luke Cage under Bendis. So maybe I'll break it down by the decade they joined, so it won't all be '60s characters (it's too early to tell about the '10s):

'60s: Hank Pym, Wasp, the Scarlet Witch, Vision, Hawkeye
    '70s: Beast, Wonder Man, Black Widow, Carol Danvers
    '80s: Monica Rambeau, She-Hulk, Tigra, Mockingbird
    '90s: Uhhh.... I don't know. Crystal was there for a long time but pretty much no one thinks of her as an Avenger first.
    '00s: Luke Cage, Jessica Drew

I also think of the "Big Three," Captain America is the most Avenger-y, because he really has had a lot of his character development (including his defrosting) in the Avengers, and Thor the least. Tony Stark is in between, since he pays for everything but doesn't devote as much of his time as Cap does.

And I'll agree that the most Avenger-y of them all has to be the Vision. Even Martian Manhunter had a life in comics before the Justice League. Vision's dad is the Avengers' arch-foe, his dad's creator is a founding Avenger, his wife is an Avenger, his (sort-of) kids are Young Avengers, the guy represents the Avengers so much that they couldn't even kill him off in Avengers Disassembled without almost immediately creating a new Vision for Young Avengers.
    i would add Black Knight and at a stretch Sersi into your 90s group

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Those are some unorthodox choices, especially Toni Ho, what about them screams Avenger to you?
    You do realise that Toni has mostly only appeared in Ewing's Avengers books? The only other appearances that come to mind are the current Captain America run and Bendis's last Iron Man arc. She's a recent creation, but she's definitely more associated with the Avengers than with anything else.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Every member except Dark Avengers, Captain Universe, Lion Heart, Ex Nihlo, Abyss, Nightmask, and Starbrand.

Boisterously Confused

I found Busiek's choice interesting in the Heroes Return relaunch:
    Captain America
    Hawkeye
    Wasp
    Captain (Monica) Marvel
    Quasar
    Justice

Thor
    Hulk
    Ant-Man/Giant-Man
    Wasp
    Iron Man (The armor he is wearing in my avatar. His original)
    Captain America

Captain America
    Quicksilver
    Scarlet Witch
    Hawkeye

Vision
    Black Panther
    Yellow Jacket
    Wasp
    Goliath

Despite not actually being a founding member a lot of these lists include Cap, so I think a good follow up question is who do you credit the most with being responsible for putting the team together and, thus, being the first Avenger? Is it Mister Anger or is it somebody else?