Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Despite not actually being a founding member a lot of these lists include Cap, so I think a good follow up question is who do you credit the most with being responsible for putting the team together and, thus, being the first Avenger? Is it Mister Anger or is it somebody else?
    Janet Van Dyne
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Extraordinary Member

Despite not actually being a founding member a lot of these lists include Cap, so I think a good follow up question is who do you credit the most with being responsible for putting the team together and, thus, being the first Avenger? Is it Mister Anger or is it somebody else?
    I'd say Iron Man, since it's his mansion and his butler and his money that pays for rebuilding the mansion every week or so. He's not the heart of the team or (usually) its leader, but it's his Maria Stark foundation that gets the bill every time the Avengers destroy someone else's property, which, again, is all the time.

Which reminds me, the mansion is unquestionably the most Avenger-y headquarters, no matter what the MCU replaces it with.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It's basically going to be the Avengers teams that I grew up reading, book-ended by the Captains:

Captain America
    Thor
    Iron Man
    Wasp
    Vision
    Quicksilver
    Wonder Man
    Beast
    Yellowjacket (Hank Pym)
    Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers)
    Scarlet Witch
    Hawkeye
    Captain Marvel (Monica Rambeau)
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Thor
    Hulk
    Giant Man (Pym)
    Wasp
    Iron Man
    Cap
    Hawkeye
    Vision
    Scarlet Witch
    Wonder Man
    Black Panther
    Quiksilver
    Falcon

Spider-Man
    Luke Cage
    Spider-Woman
    Ms. Marvel (Khan)
    Captain Marvel (Danvers)
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 04-07-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

Cap, Vision, and Scarlet Witch would be my bare bones. Lots of other names come to mind, but they can come and go. These 3 belong.

Hank "Goliath" Pym
    The Wasp
    Iron Man
    Captain America
    Thor
    Hawkeye
    Vision
    Scarlet Witch
    Quicksilver
    Black Panther
    The blue furry funny version of the Beast
    Wonder Man
    Black Knight
    Hercules
    Monica "Captain Marvel" Rambeau

The Hulk has never been a classic Avenger for me - he was a Defender, not an Avenger, when I was a kid, and I still feel that way today. The defining visual feature of the Avengers when I was young was having a giant super-hero in their ranks, regardless of whether it was Hank Pym or Clint Barton as Goliath. Hank Pym was the leader in many of the stories I first read, and many stories centred around him, so he was "Mister Avenger" to me when I was young. Due to Mar-Vell co-staring with the Avengers in so many stories (including the Collector grabbing him as part of his Avengers collection) I thought he was an Avenger when I was a kid, and I would have put him in the line-up had you asked me this question back then - but obviously it would have been a biased choice.

Who feels like Avengers the most,At one point my answer would be different but right now

Captain America
    Iron Man
    Thor
    Black Widow
    Hawkeye
    Hulk
    Wasp
    Scarlet Witch
    Vision
    Captain Marvel
    Black Panther

You have understand that I am coming from the direction that I have seen the Avengers origin told Different times in 616, Ultimates, different couple of cartoons and the movies. The movies and cartoons have moved certain characters up for me.

People who have drop down for me over the years

Hank Pym
    Spectrum
    Hercules
    Black Knight
    Beast
    Wonder Man
    Quicksilver
    War Machine
    Tigra
    Falcon

Hank Pym just gets overlooked despite his founder status and to me over watching the different mediums he is in he always seems removable.The rest is just kinda of usage thing they get used more they would climb back up for me

People who are surprisingly good Avengers

Luke Cage
    Spiderman
    Nova
    Sunspot
    Sentry/Hyperion/Blue Marvel
    Songbird

Can't really justify them fully but feel natural to me when they are Avengers teams. I really haven't mind when Superman analogs are on the Avengers Rosters if they end up on teams without Thor( or big cosmic mission teams) I think they have worked.

Tony Stark is the most avengery avenger. everyone else is a guest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Tony Stark is the most avengery avenger. everyone else is a guest.
    Tony Stark wasn't an Avenger for a significant part of Roger Stern's run (considered to be among the greatest if not the greatest) Avengers run. And he wasn't part of Under Siege, considered to be either the best or the top three best Avengers story.

If there are great Avengers stories without him, including among the very best, then that means "everyone else" isn't a guest at all. You have every right to praise Tony Stark but not in terms that denigrate the group over him.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Iron Man
    Thor
    Hank Pym
    Wasp
    Captain America
    Hawkeye
    Scarlet Witch
    Vision
    Black Knight
    Captain Marvel
    Wonder Man

These are my core group that come to mind when I think of the Avengers.

There are characters like Beast, Hulk, Mantis and Quicksilver that have been prominent on other teams so their Avengers status doesn't stand out as much for me.

Boisterously Confused

Um......Loki?

The closest thing Marvel has to the DC Trinity is the Cap/Iron Man/Thor Avengers connection. And the argument could certainly be made that Cap has been the most important to the Avengers ideal. It seems odd that these three wouldn't be at the top of any Avengery list.

The question, to me, drifts to "who else belongs here?"

Hawkeye fits for me. The Busiek story where Cap gets Hawkeye from the medieval change of reality first clinches that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Tony Stark wasn't an Avenger for a significant part of Roger Stern's run (con...
    then they weren't the Avengers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The closest thing Marvel has to the DC Trinity is the Cap/Iron Man/Thor Avengers connection. And the argument could certainly be made that Cap has been the most important to the Avengers ideal. It seems odd that these three wouldn't be at the top of any Avengery list.
    Cap wasn't part of the original Avengers groups. And you know it was Janet van Dyne who came up with the name of the Avengers. It's weird that she isn't included in the "trinity" especially since unlike Hank who lost his s--t multiple times, Wasp kept cool, stayed strong, and was leader for an extended time.

I tend to be democratic, by that I mean the latest is the same as the first. I don't think there's any "trinity" to the Avengers or even the Justice League (after all, neither Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman were even on the iconic cover of the first JLA story where they all fight Starro).

Spectacular Member

Vision probably, as the majority of his storylines and development has happened in Avengers, and he hasn't had significant presence on any other teams. The founders of course, although Thor and Iron Man less than Captain America, Hank Pym and Wasp, and Hulk less than all the others. The Kooky Quartet members are classics as well. Other than that, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Wonder Man, Black Panther, Black Widow, Tigra, and Mockingbird are characters I would also associate with Avengers membership.