Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The truth of the matter is that the Avengers were this team that was a dumping ground for Marvel.
    This is also true of the Justice League. It is simply the way it goes with the biggest groups in comics. It does not mean that the original members did not have something special between them and under the banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    that's because he has spent the majority of his money on the Avengers. he is proven that he can come back from nothing before/regain his fortune. all that's required is to turn his attention away from the team. and that's why he's the most avengery avenger.
    His ability to run his fortune into the ground every 5 years or so makes him the most avengery? With that Criteria Spiderman is a god among men.

The team initially had funding from a trust. I was never clear how that got screwed up. Although Glug slug plug might have to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Nope.

Jan's wealth comes from her father and that's it. She never ran a business. She's basically a trust fund baby.

I think you're seriously overestimating Pepper's involvement. Historically she's not been involved with Stark personally at all, and professionally more often not in the picture than she was. Even now she doesn't seem to be around.
    As noted below Kylie Jenner is a billionaire Kim can't be far from one if you combine her money with her husbands.

Jan had a fashion design business in the 80's not sure if she still does. Like Tony she did inherit her initial wealth, unlike Tony she never lost it or had her company stolen out from under her.

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    As noted below Kylie Jenner is a billionaire Kim can't be far from one if you combine her money with her husbands.

Jan had a fashion design business in the 80's not sure if she still does. Like Tony she did inherit her initial wealth, unlike Tony she never lost it or had her company stolen out from under her.
    Didn’t jan lose her money at the outset of The Crossing?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

His ability to run his fortune into the ground every 5 years or so makes him the most avengery? With that Criteria Spiderman is a god among men.
    it wasn't Peter's fortune. it was Otto's.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Didn’t jan lose her money at the outset of The Crossing?
    not sure but she was funding the Unity team for a while so she has money again if she ever lost it.

it wasn't Peter's fortune. it was Otto's.

nope it was Peters name on all accounts. in every sense of the word the money and company belonged to Peter. Well he and his shareholders. Poor Jay

nope it was Peters name on all accounts. in every sense of the word the money and company belonged to Peter. Well he and his shareholders. Poor Jay
    you wrote that as if it were the truth. the company succeeded because of ideas; none of which were Peter's.

you wrote that as if it were the truth. the company succeeded because of ideas; none of which were Peter's.
    There is not one document in the MU that we ever saw that did not have Peter' name on it and he used that fortune to bankroll the Avengers for a short time. He had a fortune or his company did he did not pay himself at the outrageous rates of a modern ceo/president.

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

Based on OP criteria.

Core Avengers
    Captain America
    Wasp
    Hank Pym
    Iron Man
    Thor
    Scarlet Witch
    Vision
    Hawkeye
    Black Widow

Honorable Mentions
    Quicksilver
    Hulk
    Hercules
    Black Panther
    Black Knight
    Hercules
    Carol Danvers
    Beast
    Falcon
    Wonder Man
    She-Hulk
    Tigra
    Monica Rambeau
    Mockingbird

Sure, Hulk is a founding member, and the perception of him as an Avenger has been perpetuated by the MCU, but he has only appeared in a small fraction of the 1000+ Avengers books, and even fewer as an actual member of any Avengers team. He has honorable mention status only due to his status as a founding member.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I generally consider early Avengers without a long lasting solo title that have been prominent fixtures of the comic
    This is probably the most accurate criteria one could use to answer this question, but I might revise it to say whether they were prominent fixtures or not.

The first name that comes to me is Hawkeye. Not the real Hawkeye. The other one. Clint Barton.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    The first name that comes to me is Hawkeye. Not the real Hawkeye. The other one. Clint Barton.
    If we roll the tape, it says otherwise. Just after the one minute mark.

Captain America
    Iron Man
    Thor
    Hank Pym (He has had many identities)
    Wasp
    Vision
    Scarlet Witch
    Quiksilver
    Wonder Man
    Hawkeye
    Black Widow
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, I feel like being an Avenger is pretty definitive for most of these characters, whereas Iron Man, Captain America and Thor would likely still be a big deal if they were never Avengers (having had solo books apart from the Avengers franchise).

These days, I'd add Black Widow to the list, thanks to the MCU.

But definitely Vision, Scarlet Witch, Hank Pym, the Wasp and Hawkeye. Maybe Wonder Man and Carol Danvers. Less sure if I'd put Quicksilver there, since he, like the Beast or Moondragon, might have some iconic Avengers time, but also has had quite a lot of his career outside the team.
    With Quicksilver, it might just be the power he has. Super-speed is just such a classic, old-school, mainstream superhero power. It feels like it belongs on Marvel's most mainstream super-team.