Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default Something I've noticed about my wife regarding DC vs. Marvel films

So my wife is not a comic book fan. Her knowledge and understanding of the characters comes from me and the movie adaptations that she's seen. I feel the need to preface this thread with that statement before I get into things...

I am admittedly more of a DC fan than a Marvel fan. I love both company's comics and characters but Batman brought me into comics and Superman is my favorite character, so I tend to fall more into the DC side of things than Marvel. In fact, I will say that I enjoy the Marvel Cinematic Universe significantly more than I do Marvel comic books, with some exceptions.

Upon watching Shazam last night with my wife, I noticed she was dozing in and out throughout the movie, which surprised me because I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was one of the best DC-based films ever. Also, considering she loves the Harry Potter universe so much I thought Shazam would be right up her alley.

She did like Aquaman (although I think Jason Mamoa had a lot to do with that) and Wonder Woman, but also fell asleep during Batman v Superman and Man of Steel. She enjoyed TDK trilogy but outside of the times I've watched them with her in the theaters she's never been inclined to watch any of them again.

However, she absolutely loves the Marvel movies and has seen those with me multiple times, including Guardians of the Galaxy, Infinity War, and Captain Marvel. Doctor Strange is her all-time favorite MCU film. She can probably explain the Marvel movies timeline and plots better than me.

I've been contemplating whether this is because Marvel Studios has done such a great job with building its universe for a casual fan, or if this is an indication of how relatable the Marvel characters are versus DC, and if so why the DCEU has been struggling so much versus Marvel. Now, I fully understand that BvS and MoS were divisive films and probably not a good indicator of someone's like of DC properties. But again, Shazam I thought would be a perfect showcase film for someone with my wife's knowledge of comics as well as her love of magical-based stories but it didn't maintain her interest at all.

Should this be chalked up to the MCU just being a runaway powerhouse right now or is it something a bit deeper?

BANNED

I think Marvel has largely been considerably better at making films than DC/WB has been. Now people care about those characters and that universe. I can't speak to how good Shazam is, but I don't think I want to watch it, because I just don't feel like watching some big buff guy acting like a kid. So, that would be a deep reason. On some deep fundamental level, I don't want to watch Shazam, because the core conceit of the film isn't something I'm interested in seeing, regardless of whether the movie is good or bad. Who knows, though, maybe it's great and I would love it, but the main pitch doesn't hook me, and I'm not the type of guy who goes to the theater to watch any old thing just for something to do.

Its pretty widely known at this point that MCU films get extra points simply for existing in a larger universe, where as DCEU films get docked points for trying to 'copy' Marvel.

In the Captain Marvel video Red Letter Media produced they talk about this, how you could essentially slap the Marvel brand to any film (they chose Jupiter Ascending) and it will get a higher RT score and a built in audience. The guy who gave CM a positive review in that video (the fat one, Rick?) even said its only getting his recommendation because its part of the 'Marvel puzzle.'
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    I think Marvel has largely been considerably better at making films than DC/WB has been. Now people care about those characters and that universe. I can't speak to how good Shazam is, but I don't think I want to watch it, because I just don't feel like watching some big buff guy acting like a kid. So, that would be a deep reason. On some deep fundamental level, I don't want to watch Shazam, because the core conceit of the film isn't something I'm interested in seeing, regardless of whether the movie is good or bad. Who knows, though, maybe it's great and I would love it, but the main pitch doesn't hook me, and I'm not the type of guy who goes to the theater to watch any old thing just for something to do.
    And yet, you like the MCU...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    And yet, you like the MCU...
    Not really. I like the first Iron Man movie, Winter Soldier, and the first Avengers movie. None of those have big buff guys acting like kids.

Retired

As someone who often will doze off while watching a movie or TV show, I can say that it has nothing to do with what I'm watching. I might really be interested and I'm fighting to stay awake, but I just can't keep my eyes open. So don't hold it against us sleepy-heads--it's not intended as a criticism of the movie. It's an involuntary response.

The original Captain Marvel wasn't published by Timely or National (DC). Fawcett comics were their own thing and had their own sensibility. They influenced the stuff that came out from DC and Marvel in the 1960s. The Barry Allen Flash is clearly influenced a lot by the Big Red Cheese. Roy Thomas was a big fan of the Marvel Family and brought those ideas to Marvel Comics. The big multi-story epic was pioneered by CAPTAIN MARVEL ADVENTURES over two years and twenty-five issues.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think dozing off that often during movies says more about your wife as an individual (not meant to be an insult-it happens to people).

I don't think the characters are the problem, Marvel's films are more accessible and digestible to non-fans. I like most of what the DCEU has to offer up to now, but it helps a lot more if you're already invested in the character with DC, whereas the MCU humor makes it so you don't have to be a nerd or even take the characters seriously to enjoy the film. Comedic films are often held to a lower standard, which helps some of the average MCU movies elevate in popularity and boosts the legitimately good/great ones.

Going off solely from your experience with your wife, I am going to guess that the Marvel movies really understand that the focus of their movies are the actors, rather than the mythology. RDJ set the tone - HE was the star of that movie, not Tony Stark. (whom we all know was nothing like RDJ until the movies) DC movies love their respective mythologies, which are the pillars of their universe. DC films are touting the directors, Marvel knows the stars are the ones people want to see over and over.

That's be one guess...

I usually will close my eyes and rest for a few minutes a few times during a film (even a few Marvel movies)
    Some times the movie hits a dull part and some times I am just a tad sleepy
    Last edited by My Two Cents; 04-06-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Not really. I like the first Iron Man movie, Winter Soldier, and the first Avengers movie. None of those have big buff guys acting like kids.
    The Hulk is basically just a big baby. In Multiversity, Grant Morrison's version of the character called Behemoth literally was just a big baby, with a diaper.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Maybe that’s why I enjoy the DC films more than the Marvel films. I’m there for the characters, and not the actors.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

People are just invested in the characters now it has been 21 movies now. Your wife and casual fans might enjoy Marvel better because they know the mythos and has invested time into liking the characters. It is nothing inherent to marvel movies, DC is now at the beginning of that journey. They have chance to put Shazam,Aquaman, Wonder Woman and others in film that people like and build that love so more.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I think dozing off that often during movies says more about your wife as an individual (not meant to be an insult-it happens to people).

I don't think the characters are the problem, Marvel's films are more accessible and digestible to non-fans. I like most of what the DCEU has to offer up to now, but it helps a lot more if you're already invested in the character with DC, whereas the MCU humor makes it so you don't have to be a nerd or even take the characters seriously to enjoy the film. Comedic films are often held to a lower standard, which helps some of the average MCU movies elevate in popularity and boosts the legitimately good/great ones.
    A lot of folks are just tired out from the work day and conk out as soon as they have a chance to sit down. I've slept through all manner of movies--especially Karate Kid movies are better than Ambien and warm milk.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    A lot of folks are just tired out from the work day and conk out as soon as they have a chance to sit down. I've slept through all manner of movies--especially Karate Kid movies are better than Ambien and warm milk.
    I crash after a weeks' work.

I would think TC's wife was probably just tired.

Yeah, it's not the movie, but your wife. Maybe she was just tired.