Page 15 of 434 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    It's Marvel's most overrated story ever and needs to be forgotten
    Overrated is such a lazy criticism it literally just means I don't like this thing that everybody else likes.

BANNED

all Morrison stories are overrated because his fanbase only reads Morrison books, its like a cult

all Morrison stories are overrated because his fanbase only reads Morrison books, its like a cult
    uh i don't

I have never even red any other Morrison book besides New X-Men, and I still enjoy it despite everything lol.

I've barely read anything else by Morrison, only some of his early Marvel UK stuff before he was famous and I hardly remember that years later, but I loved his X-Men run.

This is extremely not true. Of course most of us know this, but I am going to call it out anyway. The truth is, at one time most of the posters on this board were fans of GM's New X-Men. What a difference several years make! Of course the board has changed a lot since then. During GM's run there were only a few die hard contrarians that routinely hated on it and most of them thought Claremont's Xtreme X-Men was the best thing ever.

I think over time opinions changed due to a lot of factors but I see a lot of personal bias when it comes to his run (fans hate the conclusion: the ending of Scott and Jean, or upset Jean died, etc). I know art is highly subjective, but if Morrison's run is bad I would hate to think what most X-Men stories are since it was leaps and bound better than anything that has come before or since. The only negative effect of the run is that it is hard to enjoy other X-Men stories since I judge them all based on Morrison's run.

I think those that detest Morrison may struggle with Hickman's run since he is a similar caliber (different but he's known as very talented and he says he has radical plans for the X-Men and that is similar language to how GM's run was described at the time).

I think part of the challenge of Morrison's run is the conclusion. It's tough to reconcile that with the continuing nature of the X-comics in general. While I am no fan of Scott and Emma, I didn't really like Jean dying (again) but the Xorn/Magneto twist was quite brilliant - although it makes it almost impossible to come back from. That is why it's tough to fully embrace Morrison's run (for me). It doesn't fit nicely in with the other comics. But it was a stellar shot in the arm for sure. I'm very hopeful that Hickman's run is as good as I hope.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

It's funny because Jean Gray's death was not even Morrison's decision, it was Quesada's. Morrison had more stories for Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    It's funny because Jean Gray's death was not even Morrison's decision, it was Quesada's. Morrison had more stories for Jean.
    I'm pretty sure he hasn't. he wanted her perma dead

Mighty Member

Sort of. The intent was for Jean to become the Phoenix Force and transcend her human existence. A truncated version of that kinda-sorta happened at the end of "Here Comes Tomorrow", albeit only in an alternate future timeline.

BANNED

Morrison’s DC runs were fine. It’s his NXM run that i abhore.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I know art is highly subjective, but if Morrison's run is bad I would hate to think what most X-Men stories are since it was leaps and bound better than anything that has come before or since. The only negative effect of the run is that it is hard to enjoy other X-Men stories since I judge them all based on Morrison's run.
    And here we have an example of Morrison's biggest problem: his fanbase.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he hasn't. he wanted her perma dead
    From what I've heard Morrison wanted to bring Jean back immediately and was told no and instead wrote HTC as his final story.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Mighty Member

I forgot Quesada had a hate-boner for redheads because of his ex.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    We figured that the cast wouldn't be very diverse when Hickman was announced. I love Hickman and I'm excited to see where he goes, especially given how Cyclops was treated in Secret Wars, but diversity isn't on the table here.
    Given that those were just two covers and a panel...it might be a bit too soon to bring out the SJW soap boxes and NO Diversity! plack-cards.