Page 238 of 434 FirstFirst ... 138188228234235236237238239240241242248288338 ... LastLast
Results 3,556 to 3,570 of 6499

Quote Originally Posted by Clairaudient Freedom Soldier View Post
    Cool ideas aren't enough. Hickman has made the mistake of too much telling and too little showing. He is not using the full skill and creativity of the artists. There is too little action. Too much talking. We already need another reset.
    Disagree. Anyone who's seen Hickman's other work knows that this is what we were getting before it ever began. Slowly rolling out satisfying and dramatic WTF moments. It's no different that tv shows that have a dull episode here and there to set up big reveals.

Besides, considering what we sat through for the last 12 months I think a break from "action figure" storytelling is well needed.

One month and 4 issues in is way too soon to say that a reboot isn't working and needs to be corrected. I can't think of a run I hated that much that quickly that I actually felt couldn't improve.

I can understand the criticism that the story needs some more of the actual X-Men, even if it's not one I share, but to say that we need a reboot is just silly.

Everyone will be happier if they go into these issues expecting a big, sexy world-building primer series and not the next bust your Krakoa seeds, blow your Anole out, Die Hard era opener with the character payoff of Endgame, because he wants to do the former to earn the latter. Then you'll be super surprised when they reveal the cavemen drawing blood paintings of Mondo on the wall as he joins the Ancient Avengers in PoX #5, and you'll all be salivating for the tiniest morsel of Hickman's printed brain matter.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Foxey View Post
    Funny thing mutants and humans are the same species though. That and the X gene would more likely work through epigenetics then mutation. Generally mutation non reproductive cells leads to cancer etc. Epigenetics is the kind of change within a generation that can be adaptive but that means a large segment of the population probably already has the genes for getting mutant powers and mutant powers are something that could come or go in a population depending on the environment.
    This is very interesting.

There are no mutants in Moira's first life.

The second life Moira starts to change her environment and there are a few more mutants, but not seemingly what there are in some other timelines.

As Moira takes more active roles the amount of mutants that show up increases.

Cool ideas aren't enough. Hickman has made the mistake of too much telling and too little showing. He is not using the full skill and creativity of the artists. There is too little action. Too much talking. We already need another reset.
    Dramatic, it's been three issues.

Spectacular Member Doctor_Foxey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tornshattered View Post
    Whoa, whoa whoa!! Mutation of non-germline cell DNA rarely leads to cancer. I mean there are a handful of genes whose mutation will start the process of the cell becoming cancerous. Mostly though, nothing will happen. You get hundreds of mutations just by standing in the sun for a second.

I agree about the fact that epigenetics is the key in making any sense of the X-Gene, but I think epigenetics is more likely to lead to the activation of the X-Gene(eg via oxidative stress induced demethylation). Epigenetics might also be the determinant in the type of powers one might receive. Another theory I have is that the strength of the powers might be related to the amount of repeats in the DNA, similar to CAG repeats in huntington's, just more complex. That's why certain families, like the Greys, the Summers and the Magnetos(sorry, couldn't think of a better name for them) have such high energy outputs.
    Yeah that’s what I meant about the cancer thing. Mutation either does nothing or overtime leads to cancer as the cell gets multiple mutations that lead to cancer if the immune system is not able to deal with it.

I like your idea about Cag repeats for determining the power of the ability. I was also thinking about maybe most humans have certain latent genes that could give them powers. The difference between humans and mutants could be that, mutants have this epigenetic triggered gene that activate these other genes. This could also be used to explain some of the nonmutant heroes too.
    check out my art if you are interested

https://doctor-rainbowfoxey.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Jeeper 2.0 View Post
    Competition? Always a competition. Think about this, for the last several years all of the event or big stories have been filtered through the Avengers line and the X-Men had tie ins. It feels like with this run, the opposite will be true. The X-Men's scale feels huge again and I think the greater MU will be affected in unexpected ways.
    Yes I can agree with that.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Spectacular Member Doctor_Foxey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post

The second life Moira starts to change her environment and there are a few more mutants, but not seemingly what there are in some other timelines.

That is a very interesting thought. A Epigenetic environmental trigger from timeline manipulation?
    check out my art if you are interested

https://doctor-rainbowfoxey.tumblr.com/

We do not know that. At a minimum, Moira existed. In her first life the mutants did not affect her life at all, which frankly must be true for 99% of the 616 population unless Magneto or Apocalypse kill you or a Sentinel crush your car.

PD: If she stayed in Scotland, there would hardly be superhero events in her life. Like, Onslaught would be something she would see in the news and forget the next morning.
    Last edited by Glio; 08-15-2019 at 08:09 AM.

If I had a pound for every time someone pulled out "show don't tell" to critique comics or movies I would be a rich man. That maxim has nothing whatsoever to do with what you are referring to. It is almost meaningless in a visual medium. You are talking about exposition.

'Show don't tell' is a technique of prose. It often gets misused to talk about exposition but Hickman is a master of exposition so it doesn't really apply here.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-15-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

We don't know this. There were more mutants in her life because she started paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Second Coming

Dead Nightcrawler
    Dead Cable
    Big bubble
    Lots of Nimrods
    Bastion and his ugly beard

And last and most certainly least, Hope.
    Don't forget seemingly dead Ariel and Vanisher.
    And Karma's leg and Hellion's hands.

I remember thinking 4 casualties was excessive for one story arc.

And then came Rosenberg

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    We don't know this. There were more mutants in her life because she started paying attention.
    Exactly, that observer effect thing she talked about. There is no way mutants would not have been pretty common knowledge by the time she died in her first life given how prominent they were in all her other lives.

Exactly, that observer effect thing she talked about. There is no way mutants would not have been pretty common knowledge by the time she died in her first life given how prominent they were in all her other lives.
    Yes, but without knowing she was a mutant in her first life, she didn't have anything to do with them. They were not an important part of her life....she lived a pretty normal life.

It wasn't until her crazy experience being reborn to her second life, and then seeing Xavier on TV that she realized she was a mutant herself, and then took an interest in mutant affairs.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't she remember in life 2 having briefly met Xavier in life 1? Wouldn't that support the idea that they existed in life 1?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Don't forget seemingly dead Ariel and Vanisher.
    And Karma's leg and Hellion's hands.

I remember thinking 4 casualties was excessive for one story arc.

And then came Rosenberg
    Kyost also wanted to kill Iceman and Rachel, but Carey wouldn't allow it.